Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2019, 08:03 AM   #1

Belts and hoses and filters, Oh MY!

Sorry about the title, couldn't help myself... I'm trying to build a 'spares kit' for our 2004 Essex 4502. Short of calling Newmar tomorrow, is there a list anywhere that covers the belts and hoses for this coach that I can take to the local truck parts place? I certainly want to have belts, and spare filters. Hoses are less of an issue most times....

Thanks in advance,

Tom in Okeechobee, FL
TractorTom01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2019, 08:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TractorTom01 View Post
Sorry about the title, couldn't help myself... I'm trying to build a 'spares kit' for our 2004 Essex 4502. Short of calling Newmar tomorrow, is there a list anywhere that covers the belts and hoses for this coach that I can take to the local truck parts place? I certainly want to have belts, and spare filters. Hoses are less of an issue most times....

Thanks in advance,

Tom in Okeechobee, FL
They should be able to plug in your VIN number and fill your parts requests.

It works that way for a Freightliner...I’m sure Spartan has a similar system for getting the correct parts.

I keep a bench stock of these items at home because I do my own annual maintenance...but for the road I carry fuses, belts, domestic water pump, domestic water pump controller, water filters, step motor, step controller, am about to order some spare wiper blades, and a spare zone pump for our Oasis.

Any Truck Stop will have stuff like coolant, oil, oil filters. If I have a plugged fuel filter within one year...there has to be crud in the tank...so switching filters is a bandaid. I would need to clean out whatever got into the tank.

Enjoy! Hope you never require using any of your spare parts...
Old 07-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #3

I carry one belt and one extra fuel filter, both of which another Newmar owner gave me when I first purchased my coach. He had been to the FL school and then the next year he traded in for a DS with a larger motor.

Even in my boating days I only carried a main belt for each engine and fuel filters. I didn't want a bunch of spare parts aging out and never being used.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #4

On my coach, there are three large belts running. The belt that drives the fan is a 5VX710. The other two belts drive the AC and the alternator, can't find the numbers for those right now. Fuel water separator filter is a FS1242, secondary fuel filter is a WF2077. Filter on the air dryer has number R950011 on it. That's all I have found so far. Need to get the fuel filters for sure, just is case we run into trouble....
TractorTom01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
They should be able to plug in your VIN number and fill your parts requests.

It works that way for a Freightliner...I’m sure Spartan has a similar system for getting the correct parts.

I keep a bench stock of these items at home because I do my own annual maintenance...but for the road I carry fuses, belts, domestic water pump, domestic water pump controller, water filters, step motor, step controller, am about to order some spare wiper blades, and a spare zone pump for our Oasis.

Any Truck Stop will have stuff like coolant, oil, oil filters. If I have a plugged fuel filter within one year...there has to be crud in the tank...so switching filters is a bandaid. I would need to clean out whatever got into the tank.

Enjoy! Hope you never require using any of your spare parts...
Hmmmm, I don't have the step motor and controller. Considering how much of a pain it would be if that went out, it's probably wise to carry. I carry the other non-chassis stuff you listed, but need to get a kit of the chassis to carry as well.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:47 AM   #6

We purchased new a 04 Essex with the Spartan K-3 chassis with the 500 ISM which should be the same as your. We put 140K plus miles in the 14 years with trips to every state plus a 4 month trip to Alaska. Only has one fuel filter which needs to be filled before installing it. Would suggest getting part number off the old belts and then replace the current belts and use your current belts as your replacement belts. One item we did have to replace were the ride heights valves which we had some trouble getting and can't operate coach if not working. Might get one to add to your extra parts list.
04 Essex a great coach that only has been surpassed by the 18 London Aire with Spartan K-3 605 chassis. Should have many great trips in your Essex.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:21 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I believe you have a Cummins engine. If so:

Get your ESN (engine serial number) and go to https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/...ion_plans.html. Register for the free "Limited Owners Plan". It's a great source for info on replacement parts. You can also call Cummins Customer Service ( 1-800-343-7357 ) and give them your ESN

This will tell you where your ESN is: https://www.dieselpartsdirect.com/fi...-serial-number
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:24 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
A suggestion is to vacuum seal your belts. A food savor works great. They will out last your ownership of your coach.
grantg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:32 PM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantg View Post
A suggestion is to vacuum seal your belts. A food savor works great. They will out last your ownership of your coach.
And then, wrap the vacuum-sealed belt in a black garbage bag to prevent UV degradation. Done that way, the spare belts will outlast you.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
And then, wrap the vacuum-sealed belt in a black garbage bag to prevent UV degradation. Done that way, the spare belts will outlast you.

TJ
Any need vacuum seal primary/secondary spare fuel filters?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:10 PM   #11

Wow! We full-timed 16 years and traveled constantly including to Alaska. We boondocked on public lands 95% of the time - gravel roads. We didn't carry any spares of anything and never needed them.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:20 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Wow! We full-timed 16 years and traveled constantly including to Alaska. We boondocked on public lands 95% of the time - gravel roads. We didn't carry any spares of anything and never needed them.
Guess you didn’t get “indoctrinated”...

Boy Scout Motto: “Be Prepared”

Can’t fault us...it was the programming we received as youths...
Old 07-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
For a small investment, I'd rather be prepared then be stuck in the middle of a trip. These are spare parts I carry.

1, Fuel filters - primary, secondary, and generator
2. Oil filters - MH & generator
3. Belts - MH
3. Lift pump
4. Fuel shutoff selenoid
5. A/C start and run capacitors
6. Alternator (I had to replace mine, so I old one rebuilt)
7. Continuous duty solenoid/contactor
8. Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay (BIRD)

In addition I carry various repair parts - fuses, caulk/sealants, etc.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
For a small investment, I'd rather be prepared then be stuck in the middle of a trip. These are spare parts I carry.

1, Fuel filters - primary, secondary, and generator
2. Oil filters - MH & generator
3. Belts - MH
3. Lift pump
4. Fuel shutoff selenoid
5. A/C start and run capacitors
6. Alternator (I had to replace mine, so I old one rebuilt)
7. Continuous duty solenoid/contactor
8. Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay (BIRD)

In addition I carry various repair parts - fuses, caulk/sealants, etc.

School me please. First off, I totally agree with carrying spare parts that will rescue me from sitting on the side of the road. Things like belts, lift pump etc. But some of this list seems to be overkill, like spares for the gen. and A/C. While it would be uncomfortable to be without A/C and inconvenient to be without the gen it wouldn't leave you sitting on the side of the road. Are these parts extremely hard to get or is there some other good reason to carry spares?
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote