RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #1

I'm starting to do research on what I should buy to replace my two 6 volt coach batteries. I really would like to go to a sealed battery and quit screwing around with adding the water. Is there a disadvantage to a sealed battery in a MH? Secondly, without considering expense, what is the BEST battery in both sealed and wet that I can get? Longevity, deep cycle capability etc? Right now I'm leaning towards the Lifeline brand but I haven't been able to find much discussion on them. They're expensive, but not out of sight.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #2

I'm starting to do research on what I should buy to replace my two 6 volt coach batteries. I really would like to go to a sealed battery and quit screwing around with adding the water. Is there a disadvantage to a sealed battery in a MH? Secondly, without considering expense, what is the BEST battery in both sealed and wet that I can get? Longevity, deep cycle capability etc? Right now I'm leaning towards the Lifeline brand but I haven't been able to find much discussion on them. They're expensive, but not out of sight.

Jack

Old 03-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
You already found the answer in Lifeline AGM batteries. That's what I would buy.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jack, go to "find" just above you and type in lifeline battery, take of the check mark and you will have some reading to do.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #5

Thanks Dirk and 007. I had done the search thing and couldn't find any negative comments about the Lifelines and was beginning to think they were too goo to be true. I appreciate the feedback and will probably do some searching to line up a source with a fair price so I'll have them when I need them.

Thanks again

Jack

Old 03-18-2007, 06:00 AM   #6

Jack,

I replaced the "original" Interstate 6v's in my MA with Trojan T125's about 4 months ago and so far I am pleased (especially for the money) I found them locally for $89 each. I have used the before on a couple of boats and they held up pretty good. Know doubt the AGM's are less maintenance, and I have heard good things about the Lifetime's

Tim
Trandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:09 AM   #7

Thanks Tim

I've pretty much decided to go with an AGM battery. Right now it appears that the Lifelines are the best available. Even though they're expensive, it would appear they will outlast the cheaper AGMs. At least based on the type of construction, thickness of their plates etc. I think in the long run they'll be a good performer and outlast their competition.

Jack

Old 03-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I originally had four flooded 6 volt batteries in my 2004 Bus. I replaced them with four 6 volt Lifeline AGM batteries. I liked them so much I added two more, for a total of 6. On my 2004 Bus, it came with 8 AGM batteries (residential fridge) and I added 4 more. However, these are 12 volt 88 amp batteries so they don't have as much punch (about 80%) as the 6 volt batteries.

The ONLY possible drawback to AGM batteries is that they cost more. Everything else they do better. They are lighter. You never have to add water because they have none. You can mount them in any position, even upside down. They cannot freeze (no water) if discharged. They have less internal resistance so they charge faster.

Any battery has a typical voltage drop curve to it. As the battery gets depleted, the voltage drops. At 50% charge level you can damage the battery if you keep on using it so you don't want to go below that. However, AGM batteries have a very flat voltage drop curve. You can run them longer that a flooded battery, therefore getting more runtime out of them. I've found that my 4 AGMs gave me roughly 30% more runtime than the flooded batteries. That's basically getting 30% more battery in the same physical size and shape battery. Adding two more gave me roughly double of my previous 4 flooded batteries. They are really good stuff.

Also, the Lifeline batteries are the best AGMs out there and will give you great service.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Mark, when I was doing the PDI on the LADB, I found there to be AGM's on the house side and not on the chassis side. I was told the chassis side required there to be more CCM's or "punch" that typically provided by AGM's.

With your knowledge curve, could you expand on that?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:02 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

AGM batteries are found in cranking and deep cycle varieties. The AGMs in identical sizes put out the same amps as the flooded batteries. The AGMs hold up better when drawing for longer periods of time but they have no advantage in quick start applications. But they have no disadvantage either so it doesn't matter what you have. Most AGMs are used in deep cycle applications, where they really shine (especially if powering lights ). Because of this you are going to find more battery sizes in the deep cycle category than in cranking battery flavors.

My guess for the reason most manufacturers use flooded batteries rather than AGMs is one of two.

A) AGMs cost more and they really have no benefit over a sealed flooded battery for a cranking application so why spend the money.

B) Possibly the AGM batteries are not made in a sufficient size range to crank the larger diesel engines like a the 600 HP ISX.

Either way I wouldn't spend the money to go AGM on cranking batteries but I'd jump in a heartbeat to put them in as house batteries.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:07 PM   #11

rebels/cruzer Yep, exactly how I got my rig configured, 8 x 6v-AGM on the house side and left the 2 x 12v-Flooded on the chassis. Newmar strongly suggested to stay flooded on the chassis perhaps due to better CCA capacity I suspect. The other biggie advantage with AGM is they are cleaner than flooded, no nasty acid fumes messing up the metal supports or leaving the white growth everywhere in the battery bay.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:32 AM   #12

Mark

Thank you very much for exactly the comparative information I was looking for. Great job as usual.

Jack

Old 03-19-2007, 03:13 AM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree that flooded cell batteries are best for the starting batteries.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote