RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2016, 12:36 PM   #1

Best Dinette Option for Working from the Road

We are currently planning for our 2017 Dutch Star, and one of the things I'm still not sure about is the dinette area.

There seem to be a bunch of options for that area, so I figured it would be worthwhile to pick some brains.

We work from home, whether the motorhome or the house, and a good bit of the work is on laptops.

It's just the 2 of us, but we each will likely be working at the same time.

Obviously, the old school dinette "couch" type setup is out, but would you guys recommend the buffet option or the roll away table option?

Let's assume one person uses the table area, and the other is either on the couch or at the passenger work station.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2016, 12:48 PM   #2

We had the buffet and table/chairs. We had a full-size monitor on top of the buffet in the corner by the slide window. Under it was a pull-out drawer for the keyboard/mouse. Under that was a slide out tray inside the cabinet for the printer. On the other side of the table in the buffet was a file drawer and two drawers above it so a duplicate desk area could have been put on that side, also. It worked very well for us.

I've seen where someone took out the sofa and had built a long desk area in the spot. There were still two recliners across from it.

There are definitely ways to build in nice work spaces. Good luck!

twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Euro booth works great for us. Laptops are staggered (one closer to wall, one closer to aisle), and we each have room for cells and papers on the table.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We went with the roll away table. I left my laptop sitting on the counter next to the recliners and the DW used the side by the frig. The table is infinitely adjustable for the amount of space you need...kind of like a return on a desk. When the slides are in and the table is slid in there is more space right in front of the galley (kitchen) so it is not so closed in for food prep while under way. The rollaway has a deeper buffet setup which you might like for your desk space.
BGDDYRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:42 AM   #5

DW and I also work out of the house or on the road. We have the table and chairs with the buffet cabinet. We turn the chairs facing the windows and put the laptops on the buffet. this leaves the table open for papers, etc. The pullout printer tray works great for the 3 in 1 printer. I also use a ScanSnap scanner to file all our accounting papers on my laptop. This eliminated 7 years of files in the garage and frees up a lot of space on the coach. I only have 2 small file boxes with current receivables and payables.
I also carry a small portable shredder.

Good Luck
DSDP-Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:39 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Eurobooth. Not only good for working (one on each side), but it's the best layout to work going down the road. My wife sits in the booth facing forward, has a view out the front of the coach and can have her laptop, etc on the table. Just ordered a DS 4369 with the same setup, passed on several coaches on lots because they had the chairs and table setup.
tyoneonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:14 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We both work from the road and are making do with the standard dinette right now. We have a software company and do a lot of development, hence the need for multiple displays. It works, but is a bit tight. However we have plans for a modification down the road that will make things a lot better.

Here's how we use the dinette right now.

And here's the idea we will be going with. The standard dinette will be pulled and replaced with a 2-person desk. Main differences are the cabinets will be deleted for knee holes, the wall/buffet side will be deeper to better hold displays/laptops, and the extended "table" will be level with the buffet. Once we get to the real design stage, it might also involve removing the couch and replacing it with theater seats that take a bit less room, allowing more length for the desk.

marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:19 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
FWIW the reason we preferred the table and chairs is because we can choose our own chairs. I spend upwards of 12 hours a day sitting here and if I was in a booth, I'd be crippled. My aeron chair is a total lifesaver, and it was my #1 requirement when we were shopping, that I could keep my chair.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Very interested in this topic as this something we have to figure out quickly. We are going FT when we get into our DS 4018. While I am retired, DH plans on working for a bit, mostly due to the uncertainty surrounding health care.

Do all of you work "quietly" in your jobs? My DH has 12 direct reports and is on the phone with them often. He talks to his boss and peers and the HO too. If he is working at the dinette area and I am in the coach too it will feel like I am right in the "office" with him.

We are considering trying to find a way to create a desk in the bedroom in the area under the window at the foot of the bed. It would create a bit of separation even though the bedroom door does not go all the way to the ceiling or floor.

Has anyone ever seen/heard of creating a desk in the bedroom area?
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #10

Great ideas! This gives me a lot to go on as I spec it out.

I wonder if Newmar would build out the desk area in a different configuration for you? Something to check into.

Steele: Noise canceling headphones can be your best friend. I use them for editing video.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:25 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ooooooo, husband cancelling earphones?? Brilliant! Might get them before we leave home...........

Lynn
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #12

Check out the Desk/Dinette Combination with freestanding table. The table can be moved to any place in the motor home. Desk has a place for the keyboard, a printer, files, and additional drawers.
tfcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Kevin....as part of your decision, you need to think about storage. We bought our coach off the lot and came with the euro booth, which we were not fans of. After a few months I pulled out the euro booth and replaced it with the dinette/buffet and chairs. Since ours came with a dishwasher, the buffet gave us substantially more storage. The euro booth had slide out drawers, but for US, they were a pain.

So, with that said, the Dutch Star, at least in the 4018, does not have a lot of kitchen storage, especially since Newmar makes their upper cabinets so tiny. Keep this in mind when trying to decide what might be best for your situation.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:19 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Regarding quiet work, I'm on conference calls several times a day. Sometimes I use headphones and sometimes speakers. It all comes through my laptop, both making and answering calls. Not really quiet, but my wife doesn't mind and she says she likes listening to them most of the time. We considered a desk in the bedroom but I really like the windows. If I have to sit here at least I can enjoy wherever we are currently parked.