Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Best Insurance company for a Class A Motorhome?

My wife and I have been researching Class A coaches for the past 2 years and are planning to buy a Newmar Canyon Star or Bay Star. It's been over 30 years since we full-timed in a 32' Holiday Rambler Travel Trailer, and now with retirement we are ready to travel again. Any input as to the best company to insure our Class A would be very helpful. I plan to have insurance active as soon as we make a purchase.
Thanks
Ken Brewer
Tampa Florida
The Brews Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #2

Ken, there probably isn't really a single 'best'. Previous forum posts on insurance encourage you to shop every year and compare prices for apples to apples coverage. I've been using the insurance agents at Americas Mailbox for the past several years, both for my previous Airstreams as well as our new Dutch Star. They will quote multiple companies and always seem to beat any of the other folks out there. For the DS I shopped probably 10 agencies and ended back where I started.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #3

We use Progressive via USAA.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you ask twelve different people what is the best insurance company, you'll get twelve different answers. Compare the companies you are interested in and then talk to an insurance agent.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
My advice is to remember this:
No Insurance Company Is Your Friend. Take what they say with a grain of salt You know, kind of like a car salesman.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Brews Cruise,
Consider FCIS at https://www.fcisinsurance.com/ Had them since 05. They specialize in motor coach insurance.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #7

We use Progressive and they have been awesome to deal with. We have had two windshield replacements and we hit a deer, or should I say it hit us to the tune of $23K worth of damage, and they were right on top of every detail. No bickering and hassles at all. I would recommend them as their service and interest in taking care of us was short of amazing for an insurance company.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #8

Just watch out for Progressive, they increased my premium this year a little oveer 70%.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:10 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have used the follow person for the past several years. Represents many companies and has always seemed to come up with a good deal at renewal time. Just an alternative since you are asking.

Steve

Ronald L. Jarvie
Certified Insurance Counselor
Overland Insurance Services
480-994-9584 or 800-677-4027
ron@rvins.com
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #10

Also use Overland and have been satisfied. They placed us with Allied (part of Nationwide). Had a fire in the rear bath (faulty manifold). Covered it all, even the damage to the turbo from sucking in smoke that we didn't discover until we got back on the road 9 months later. Haven't seen this year's premium though
Old 06-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #11

Nationwide hit many RV owners with substantial increases. Our insurance agent called us at renewal and found us the same coverage for less money with another company. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #12

...there is no '1' company that is best for anyone, or everyone, anytime, or even some of the time. that is why there are over 3,000 insurance companies - something for everyone.

the best company is the one you are doing business with now on your autos and home, that is, until you find another one. most people ask this '1' question, but there is no way we can know YOUR desires for insurance - some buy only on price, some only on the best 'service', and some only on the sayings of others.

As an agent, though, I can assure that anytime you purchase insurance, and think you have the 'best', soon enough another company comes along that does better.

Buy what YOU'RE comfortable with... you can't compare yourself with others, no matter how 'similar' you think you are...

some simple, yet profound differences:
- what STATE your policy is written in(your 'resident' state)
- your limits of coverage, liability, etc.
- the value of your vehicle
- replacement cost, vs agreed value, vs depreciated cost(AVC)
- your driving record
- your age and gender
- other qualifying 'discounts', such as autos and home with the same company
- your credit score
- etc etc etc
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Brews Cruise,
Consider FCIS at https://www.fcisinsurance.com/ Had them since 05. They specialize in motor coach insurance.
Gary, since FCIS is just a broker, or independent insurance office, do you know who they are writing your policy with? I called them since they use to write for me, but they said for Oklahoma all they had with Replacement Cost were Progressive (which I'm dumping) and Safeco a new company in the RV insurance business.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Gary, since FCIS is just a broker, or independent insurance office, do you know who they are writing your policy with? I called them since they use to write for me, but they said for Oklahoma all they had with Replacement Cost were Progressive (which I'm dumping) and Safeco a new company in the RV insurance business.
It could be with National General. I got identical quotes from Miller, Good Sam and FMCA and they all was with National General.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, insurance, motorhome