Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #29

Magnet Key Lock

Ditto for a Key Box - I used the Master per the photo. Placed into the propane bay since it is non-locking. Already had to use once when I went over to my storage unit and forgot the keys at home. Worked perfect!

I was worried that with any significant bouncing a magnetic key box might come loose.

SideKick2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93943EAD-A578-4629-A012-B28602F6113A.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	185597  
tdavidstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Something to think about......

Why store a "set" or sets of keys?

I have a bay door key securely hidden that I can get to if the coach is locked up.

In a bay, I have a set of the coach door keys hidden. Good luck finding those unless you know exactly where to look, as I am sure most of you understand .

Inside the coach, a hidden ignition key for the coach, while my wife's toad keys are usually stashed away someplace inside as well.

A lot easier to just hide a single bay door key........
My thoughts exactly.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #31

Why would I yell you where I hide my key?
Old 12-15-2017, 11:00 PM   #32

It's not like many of us are actually going to meet on the road sometime. If we do cross paths, how many on this forum would actually want to steal someone's vehicle. Have to go, it's cell block roll call now.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Man, this place sure loves their overkill.

This will suffice:

Thats a matter of opinion. These have been known to fall off even good steel, there is zero weatherproofing, and if someone stumbles on it... not good

The real estate boxes properly attached simply cannot be removed without a major effort, way more weatherproof, and completely secure even if found. It also has way more room inside. I keep all of my original keys in there and still have room. Keeping keys in a $.99 box that allows access to a coach that could easily exceed the price of your house is up to you..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:41 AM   #34

I use a black key pouch made of heavy fabric and comes with velcro sewn on and a flap to close the pouch. The opposing velcro has a heavy duty stick tape. I stick the pouch to the underside of the bottom entry step. It will not come loose from the step.

This is available at key shops for $5.
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:24 AM   #35

I have been using the Amazon best seller for the past 3 years, https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-P...ster+lock+207d, it is nicely sized (4.69-Inch x 2-Inch x 1.12-Inch) to hold all my duplicate keys. The magnet is plenty strong and the case is totally watertight and sealed. It has stayed put where I hid it on my rig. I have only had to use it once and am very glad I had extra keys hidden for just such an emergency.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #36

This thread is just like the one 'Where do you keep your safe'........lol.....let the world know!!
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna_Wander View Post
What do you recommend for a magnetic hide-a-key box for storing a set of keys in case of lock out? I'm thinking of keeping it in the engine compartment. Does anyone use a hide-a-key with a combination lock?
Had to quote the original post. Seems to be it's getting off track. It's what, not where.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:35 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
This thread is just like the one 'Where do you keep your safe'........lol.....let the world know!!
Who cares? You, nor the bad guys know where the coach is now or at any other time. Even so, with a strongbox attached to the frame it makes no difference if they did anyway.

Unplanned: The only "Hide a Key" with a combo lock IS this one described above

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #39

Best magnetic hide-a-key box?

Best magnetic key box?
1. Set of RV keys in the toad.
2. Set of toad keys in the RV.
Done!
Are you in places too dangerous for 1 and 2?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #40

2 sets in magnetic cases in 2 different locations plus spare set in DW’s purse. Yes we did get locked out once when went for ice cream and door code wouldn’t work as became defective. Locksmith to open and Jayco replaced complete assembly under warranty. I left my keys inside and the wife didn’t bring her purse. Stuff does happen.
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote