Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2017, 06:36 AM   #1

Best magnetic hide-a-key box?

What do you recommend for a magnetic hide-a-key box for storing a set of keys in case of lock out? I'm thinking of keeping it in the engine compartment. Does anyone use a hide-a-key with a combination lock?
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 06:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
We use the Stanley “key box” combination style like used for home alert seniors. It is mounted high up in our (older coach) propane tank bay. That bay cannot be locked. I would be concerned about heat and vibration in the engine area.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased a plastic magnetic key box from an auto parts store. The magnetic is so strong its hard to remove from the wall as I have to slide it to the edge. It holds three keys. Two for the motorhome door and a toad key. Its located in a area subject to water/dirt and has traveled more than 8k miles with no issues.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:12 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
X2 on the Stanley combination lock box. It's the kind that hangs on a door knob. In the propane compartment also.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:30 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I use a lock box type and have it hanging in the engine compartment.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert66 View Post
We use the Stanley “key box” combination style like used for home alert seniors. It is mounted high up in our (older coach) propane tank bay. That bay cannot be locked. I would be concerned about heat and vibration in the engine area.
Google can't find a Stanley key box. Can you provide a link?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Google can't find a Stanley key box. Can you provide a link?
I don't see one from Stanley either, but her is a Master one:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-C.../dp/B0002YP1VC
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwitt View Post
I don't see one from Stanley either, but her is a Master one:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-C.../dp/B0002YP1VC
Master makes 2styles... One with a loop you can hang on something. Another you can bolt on.
You set and can change the combo on both.
Big box hardware stores have the m
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #9

I have installed a Master Lock model 5423D lock box in the engine compartment of our 2015 Ventana 4002. See the attached pics. It is bolted to the frame on the driver's side down below the radiator. Cost was about $40 at Home Depot for the lock box and bolts. Installation was easy (under an hour total) and only required a drill with a bit capable of drilling through the 3/16 inch or 1/4 inch steel (I measured it when getting the bolts but don't remember which it was). There are four bolts so it is very securely attached and can only be removed from the inside which require it to be opened with the combination. I doubt you can get a sledge hammer or other device in the limited space to pry it off. You set the combination yourself using up to 10 numbers that can't repeat. I used the first five of my social security number. It has been installed for about a year now and has been subjected to rain, snow, heat and freezing temperature as well as the road grime, engine heat, vibration, etc. with no issues. It has plenty of room for all four RV keys (ignition, deadbolt, door, and bins) and the key for our toad but not the toads keyless fob. I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to let me know if you want or need more information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1303.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	185457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1304.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	185458  

Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:59 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doesn't have a lock but you'll need a good flashlight and a creeper to find it on my rig.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:03 PM   #11

Man, this place sure loves their overkill.

This will suffice:

Old 12-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #12
tcg

I like this one, it's thinner then some of the realtor lock boxes. I have a class C and hung mine in the refrigerator access panel. Easy to get to. Also when the wife and I go for runs I just affix it to the grab rail by the door so we don't have to carry keys when we run.

I don't think it's overkill, I just feel better having it hooked on something instead of a magnet that may come loose with a big bump.

http://a.co/7QJ3g5Z

tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #13
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I used this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doesn't have a lock but you'll need a good flashlight and a creeper to find it on my rig.
Ummmmmm...do you also need "a good flashlight and a creeper" to retrieve the spare key when you need it? Just asking.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:02 PM   #14

We keep ours under the license plate bolt or screw. Doesn’t cost anything and a piece of change will undo the screw. Also we never forget where it is on any vehicle.
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote