RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #1

Best option for 4369

Wanted to ask the Newmar experts for advise. We're looking to purchase a DP sometime this year. We've decided that it will be a Newmar, and it will be a 4369 floor plan. Our budget will be approx 250K. Searching so far has found Dutch Stars in the 2014 & 15 years, Ventanas from 2017 to a new 19 for 259K. Have also found a couple of 13 or 14 Mountain Aires in our range.
Within the 4369, we would prefer a free standing dinnete, recliners and a kitchen window. The recliners aren't that big of a deal since they're easy to change out. DW really wants the window so that's a must, and I really prefer a side radiator, so that eliminates the Ventana, unless we found a really nice unit at a great price.
So what would y'all do with this budget ?
We did look at and drive an 18 Ventana with only 8K miles that looked new, but it had the couch that motors up to make a bunk, and the gold/brown color combo was not for us. It was priced at 239K and they seemed eager to sell so it could have been bought for less, but we just couldn't deal with the color. We've really enjoyed our gas coach, but we would like to be able to tow a heavier load, approx 7K, and more overall comfort. Our current two year warranty expires this summer.
Thanks for opinions and ideas.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
We sold our 17 DS in November but it was a 4018, not a 4369. At that time, I did a pretty good review of all the 4018s for sale on RV trader from 2015 through 2018. The cheapest was $259,900 and they went all the way up to $329,000.

Obviously, a 4369 would be more.

2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
Wanted to ask the Newmar experts for advise. We're looking to purchase a DP sometime this year. We've decided that it will be a Newmar, and it will be a 4369 floor plan. Our budget will be approx 250K. Searching so far has found Dutch Stars in the 2014 & 15 years, Ventanas from 2017 to a new 19 for 259K. Have also found a couple of 13 or 14 Mountain Aires in our range.
Within the 4369, we would prefer a free standing dinnete, recliners and a kitchen window. The recliners aren't that big of a deal since they're easy to change out. DW really wants the window so that's a must, and I really prefer a side radiator, so that eliminates the Ventana, unless we found a really nice unit at a great price.
We did look at and drive an 18 Ventana with only 8K miles that looked new, but it had the couch that motors up to make a bunk, and the gold/brown color combo was not for us. It was priced at 239K and they seemed eager to sell so it could have been bought for less, but we just couldn't deal with the color. We've really enjoyed our gas coach, but we would like to be able to tow a heavier load, approx 7K, and more overall comfort. Our current two year warranty expires this summer.
For reference I purchased a my dream home for 266,000.00 a 2019 Ventana 4369 brand new full warranty and all, from Independence RV in Winter Garden Fl. give them a call I think they still have a couple.

Ted.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post
For reference I purchased a my dream home for 266,000.00 a 2019 Ventana 4369 brand new full warranty and all, from Independence RV in Winter Garden Fl. give them a call I think they still have a couple.

Ted.
Yea, I check their web site daily. They have a 15 DS that looks nice also. There is a dealer in our state with a new 19 Ventana equipped exactly like we want for 259K. Just haven't decided if we want to go that route, or a used Dutch Star.
Thx.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Yea, I check their web site daily. They have a 15 DS that looks nice also. There is a dealer in our state with a new 19 Ventana equipped exactly like we want for 259K. Just haven't decided if we want to go that route, or a used Dutch Star.
Thx.
I have done and continue to do research and comparison between a loaded Ventana and a Duchstar and in my opinion there is not enough differences to justify the 100K difference.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:54 AM   #6

Quote:
The DW thought the kitchen window was really a nice option but in reality the shade stays closed 90% of the time. It is small and back under the deep cabinets so unless someone is 4' tall you are never really seeing anything out of it while standing at the kitchen counter anyway.

Keep in mind that there has been issues with flaking Flexsteel furniture between 2016 and 2019 models. When we were at the factory last summer there were probably 2 or 3 Ventana and 7 or 8 DS models getting furniture swapped out. If you are the original owner (purchased new) Newmar has been good about covering this expense 100% after the 1 year warranty. If you are the second owner they generally won't help you.

We were there one night and they replaced both of our front chairs with 2020 ones at no charge to us, 14 months after our warranty expired.

I would have preferred a side radiator and the 450HP engine. But after two years of pulling grades all over out west I usually not the last one to get to the top and I have never had any type of overheating issues. Our total toad weight was just over 10,000. The 400HP and rear radiator has done great for us.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
The DW thought the kitchen window was really a nice option but in reality the shade stays closed 90% of the time. It is small and back under the deep cabinets so unless someone is 4' tall you are never really seeing anything out of it while standing at the kitchen counter anyway.

Keep in mind that there has been issues with flaking Flexsteel furniture between 2016 and 2019 models. When we were at the factory last summer there were probably 2 or 3 Ventana and 7 or 8 DS models getting furniture swapped out. If you are the original owner (purchased new) Newmar has been good about covering this expense 100% after the 1 year warranty. If you are the second owner they generally won't help you.

We were there one night and they replaced both of our front chairs with 2020 ones at no charge to us, 14 months after our warranty expired.

I would have preferred a side radiator and the 450HP engine. But after two years of pulling grades all over out west I usually not the last one to get to the top and I have never had any type of overheating issues. Our total toad weight was just over 10,000. The 400HP and rear radiator has done great for us.
You can have yours turned up to 451 HP with the rear radiator with no ill effects.

It is Cummins and Freightliner approved and maintains factory driveline warranty to 100K cost me $1300.00
Old 01-13-2020, 08:41 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
You won't go wrong with any of your choices, new Ventanna, used Dutchstar, rear radiator, heated floors, on and on. You are the one paying for it. If your budget gets you into a new Ventanna with warranty, you will never regret it. Some say buy your last motorhome first, but how many ever do that? Good Luck!
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post

I've noticed several that advertised new or replaced furniture. The window is not a complete deal breaker, but it seems that when the TV is up, that side is pretty dark.
Just for comparison, how much more does it cost to service a read radiator compared to a side one ?
Old 01-14-2020, 07:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post
I have done and continue to do research and comparison between a loaded Ventana and a Duchstar and in my opinion there is not enough differences to justify the 100K difference.
The farther back you go in years the price difference gets smaller, but I agree that the Ventana offers a lot of bang for the buck, especially if your shopping new. Currently, the 2020's are over our budget, but the left over 19's are doable. The 20's sure do look much more modern.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:46 AM   #11

Thanks for all the replies and advice so far. It's nice to hear that the Ventana owners are so happy with their rigs. Also nice to know that the HP can be increased if needed.
I think as the time to purchase gets closer, we'll continue to look at both and go for the one that is the best combination of condition and price at the time. I'm pretty picky and take very good care of all my belongings so used coaches are many times not what they're advertised to be.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Just for comparison, how much more does it cost to service a read radiator compared to a side one ?
There is really no difference, more a DIY thing, I can change my own belt easier
Old 01-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I've noticed several that advertised new or replaced furniture. The window is not a complete deal breaker, but it seems that when the TV is up, that side is pretty dark.

With the TV down, that window awning out and tinted windows I would imagine it is on the dark side anyway. I know in my case during the day for the most part the front TV would be on. Only at night or during shut in weather would the side TV be up. We have a small kitchen window in our 2008 Ventana with a venetian blind window covering cannot remember the last time the blind was opened. Due to cabinets what light you get is pretty focused, and you are continually cleaning the dirty window. We opted not to get the large kitchen window on our 2020 DS order because of the constant cleaning of the window covering and/or window. Easy to wipe down the backsplash!

Oil fuel filter changes slightly more, Air filter even more, things like coolant thermostat changes, belt changes, turbo work, AC Compressor, alternator changes a lot more. Its all about the interference removal and access that increase the labor costs. When shopping take some coveralls with you, on side radiator look and see what it would take to change the air filter, put your coveralls on, shimmy under a rear radiator and look up and see what has to be done to change the air filter. You will see immediately why the maintenance cost for rear radiators is more expensive.
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikester View Post
Oil fuel filter changes slightly more, Air filter even more, things like coolant thermostat changes, belt changes, turbo work, AC Compressor, alternator changes a lot more. Its all about the interference removal and access that increase the labor costs. When shopping take some coveralls with you, on side radiator look and see what it would take to change the air filter, put your coveralls on, shimmy under a rear radiator and look up and see what has to be done to change the air filter. You will see immediately why the maintenance cost for rear radiators is more expensive.
This is definitely a consideration, although given the price difference of 50K or more, you can do a lot of maintenance with that.
My DIY days for that kind of maintenance are over. Old skin bleeds to much. 😆