RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2019, 09:54 PM   #71

Ultra Guard Tow Guard

We use the Smart Solutions 00014 Ultra Guard Tow Guard & Mounting Bar $165. It has maximum width coverage and all the way to 2 inches from the ground.

RVUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #72

I use Demco Shields. After 5 years and 50,000 miles, nothing has gotten to my toad.

a7pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #73

We drove east into Nevada on US 50 late one afternoon in June. There was a sign saying they were chip sealing that day but nothing about reduced speed so I maintained 70. We were flat-towing a Honda Fit and had hung an Ultraguard on the rear. We didn't notice the damage until we got home. Took the car to the body shop and the insurance company totaled it. Damage everywhere (wheels, sun roof, sides, etc.) but the rear end. We're ditching the Ultraguard and trying both Protect-a-tow and Tow Car Shield. That and avoiding fresh chip seal.
Charly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:56 PM   #74
jrs

Really would like to use the Protect-a-tow but my rear mounted exhaust will melt it.....
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly2 View Post
We drove east into Nevada on US 50 late one afternoon in June. There was a sign saying they were chip sealing that day but nothing about reduced speed so I maintained 70. We were flat-towing a Honda Fit and had hung an Ultraguard on the rear. We didn't notice the damage until we got home. Took the car to the body shop and the insurance company totaled it. Damage everywhere (wheels, sun roof, sides, etc.) but the rear end. We're ditching the Ultraguard and trying both Protect-a-tow and Tow Car Shield. That and avoiding fresh chip seal.
Your first problem was going 70mph. Even if no sign you should have greatly reduced your speed.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:24 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Your first problem was going 70mph. Even if no sign you should have greatly reduced your speed.
Yeah, I know... now.
Charly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:28 AM   #77

Just returned from a 7000 miles western trip towing a new Jeep JL. Drove thru miles of chip sealing road work (no choice). Drove super slow but other 4 wheelers flying by would shower us with rocks. Over the entire trip we received rock chips in both windshields and paint chips on the jeep. I am looking for an exhaust tip extension/turnout that will allow me to use the mesh protect-a-tow setup next time.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #78

Tow Car Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
Does anyone use the Tow Car Shield? After a little research I ran across it. It's like a car or coach bra that completely covers the bumper up over the hood and windshield. They also have side mirror covers as well.
I have used this for nearly 10 years on the same car. I haven't had a chip since BUT, there can be some rubbing on certain areas. You may have to supplement with your own bungee, depending on your tow. Towing in the rain, it gets to be a real mess and hard to deal with when you arrive and want to take it off. Overall, it has protected my toad well and I am impressed with the company and their customer service. I shipped it back to them after 5 years and they repaired all the straps that had worn out for free.

I second the removal of the mud flap. My gasser sits high and the mudflap caused more problems than it solved. Rocks deflected by a mud flap are still bouncing down the road, deflected sideways and under, etc. They can still impact the toad. My biggest problem was determined to be that the exhaust comes out the passenger side of my coach, pointing down. It basically air blasts the rumble strips where all the debris collects...

My tow is well kept and in good condition but it is 18 years old. I would have to think hard about putting the bra on a new car .... I keep my car well "waxed" with TopCoat F11. Here are pics of my car after using bra for nearly 10 years. It's dark and you cannot really see the chips that exist but it gives you an idea. I still live in an urban area with massive new construction and gravel trucks abounding so many chips are normal driving hazards. The last pic is of the rub spot I mentioned. I cannot say for sure the cover did it. It may have been a chip that existed that was exasperated by the rubberized "wings" that ride there to keep the windshield protected.

Overall, I can say I am pleased and continue to use it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4163.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	264221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4164.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	264222  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4166.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	264223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4165.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	264224  

Old 10-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
We use the Roadmaster "Tow Defender" and have never had a rock chip or other damage.

TJ
That's what we use along with the big mud flap.

No problems, no damage.

2004 Travel Supreme Select 45DSO4
Jarhead 67-71
Airboss68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:17 PM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Appreciate all the suggestions for a tow shield of some type. One thing I've learned, yes the hard way, I'll never travel on chip and seal again! If there is any question about damage to my truck I'll unhook it and let the DW drive it till we are back on a different road.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #81

We've just completed a 5500 mile trip from east coast to Las Vegas and back in a 43 Mountain aire and we have just purchased a new Jeep Grand Cherokee and was worried about chip damage. Suprise, not one chip. Lucky I guess.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Blue ox
Limey0001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad