Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On my three DP's I've owned, I've modified the flap so that it was higher and moved freely. On my current DS, Newmar just slid a chain solid link onto a bolt they welded to a bracket and captured the link with a nut. It's hard to describe, but I didn't like the position of the flap and how it interacted with the side radiator shroud. I added a plate to that threaded rod, allowing me to move the flap back a coule of inches from where it was located. I then used a link with a threaded opening so I could remove the flap. I have to take mine off to get in my backyard. I have a very steep ramp I have to back up. It also rarely gets bound when I air down in a campground unless the site is really sloped.

When aired up, my flap is about 5" to 6" off the ground.

Here is the plate added to the rod and the link.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190221_215452.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	262213

Name:   1RCD8_AS01.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  14.1 KB
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 05:59 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry....photo orientation corrected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190221_215452.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	262215
Old 10-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
We tow both our 2017 F-150 & 2018 Jeep JLU. We bought the BlueOx KarGuard. It works, but is a royal pain to install & remove.
Tried an experiment on our most recent 2 month trip/adventure.
We removed the Newmar logo flap and did not use the KarGuard. We traveled from FL to PEI in Canada, with stops along the way. Leaving PEI we went to the mother ship for warranty service. Then home to FL. NO nicks or scratches on our F-150.
Want to buy a KarGuard???
Old 10-02-2019, 10:51 PM   #18

We didn't have one of those advertising flaps and traveled gravel roads for boondocking all the time. Also spent the summer in Alaska with absolutely no damage. We saw others removing their flaps.

OP: How fast were you going on the gravel?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:31 AM   #19

I bought a tandem axel car hauling trailer with a 16' bed. It takes a little longer to load the MX-5 and strap it down BUT, in 18 months, ZERO rock chips.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:32 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
On my three DP's I've owned, I've modified the flap so that it was higher and moved freely. On my current DS, Newmar just slid a chain solid link onto a bolt they welded to a bracket and captured the link with a nut. It's hard to describe, but I didn't like the position of the flap and how it interacted with the side radiator shroud. I added a plate to that threaded rod, allowing me to move the flap back a coule of inches from where it was located. I then used a link with a threaded opening so I could remove the flap. I have to take mine off to get in my backyard. I have a very steep ramp I have to back up. It also rarely gets bound when I air down in a campground unless the site is really sloped.

When aired up, my flap is about 5" to 6" off the ground.

Here is the plate added to the rod and the link.

Attachment 262213

Attachment 262214
Thanks for the explanation. I'll check mine when aired up and make any corrections to get it to those specs.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:41 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We didn't have one of those advertising flaps and traveled gravel roads for boondocking all the time. Also spent the summer in Alaska with absolutely no damage. We saw others removing their flaps.

OP: How fast were you going on the gravel?
Was going 35 mph. That's what was posted. I believe that it was the amount of gravel left on the road. They didn't finish the job before quitting that day and the 23 miles was probably a contributing factor also. This highway has very little traffic and don't think I passed anyone going the opposite way or there would have been damage to the coach as well.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:23 AM   #22

I agree with what a couple other posted about the height of your OEM rock guard. Probably about half the guards I see are mounted too low the tend to brush the pavement when hitting small dips in the road, thus causing debris/rocks to fly back.

As far as protection after that, we tow in an enclosed trailer so I can't help you.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
I can't see me towing a box trailer for my truck. To many times I've had to back in to a space at a park and don't want to have to unload my truck to unhitch the trailer to just back in for a overnight stay. Plus finding a place to park at my house. I already have 3 different tounge hitch trailers. Lol
Old 10-03-2019, 09:38 AM   #24

Tow Car Shield Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
Does anyone use the Tow Car Shield? After a little research I ran across it. It's like a car or coach bra that completely covers the bumper up over the hood and windshield. They also have side mirror covers as well.
Hi - Yes! We had one made for our Toyota Corolla. We just spent 5 months in Canada and Alaska, went over the Top of the World Highway and besides dust (unavoidable) the car didn’t get scratch or a dent....nothin’.
ianschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think a LOT has to do with what you tow. If you tow something low like a Honda CRV or something else with a low nose, there is more likely to be damage. If you tow something like a lifted Jeep or truck, the height of the vehicle will prevent a lot of paint damage.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
I put a 1.5" stainless U bolt in the center lower portion of the advertisement flap so that I can reach down pull the flap back and up and store it in an up position using a heavy duty black bungee cord.

Works good when backing up a slope. I'll try to remember to put it in the up position when on gravel, etc.

Thanks, I hadn't thought about those times.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:45 PM   #27

For lack of relieving boredom around Salt Lake City on a very rainy day, I began taking note of traffic going the opposite direction. On motorhomes have the big flap the rain was shooting at an arc onto the hoods of the tow vehicles. On those without the flap the rain was aiming for the tire area.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:56 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Sorry to hear about your damage. I have some connections in the State highway repair and would really like to know where this occurred. I cannot recall ever that a road was left unfinished for 23 miles and with 6 inches of chip seal that is still open to traffic in both directions no less. Chip seal is generally no more than 1/2 inch in depth. I can try to make contact with project manager if you like and see what happen.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad