Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2019, 10:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
For lack of relieving boredom around Salt Lake City on a very rainy day, I began taking note of traffic going the opposite direction. On motorhomes have the big flap the rain was shooting at an arc onto the hoods of the tow vehicles. On those without the flap the rain was aiming for the tire area.

Look up Protect A Tow. I have used one for years and they work very well for my Jeep toad.
STORMY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2019, 05:38 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
Sorry to hear about your damage. I have some connections in the State highway repair and would really like to know where this occurred. I cannot recall ever that a road was left unfinished for 23 miles and with 6 inches of chip seal that is still open to traffic in both directions no less. Chip seal is generally no more than 1/2 inch in depth. I can try to make contact with project manager if you like and see what happen.
Thank you but I have already filled the complaint and received my denial letter. I turned it over to my insurance and it's at the repair shop.

The denial letter was full of incorrect information, guess it was the standard letter. I was told a investigator was assigned to the case. Didn't know he/she was only investigating the state Dot, they never contacted me. Thought that was pretty odd. All my years as a investigator for the DA's office, I interviewed all parties involved. But that's the way it goes I guess. [emoji53]
Old 10-04-2019, 05:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
I was plowing thru at least 6 inches deep of gravel. Even removing the mud flap would not have stopped the damage.
6 inches deep ? Your kidding ? Right
And you kept driving. ?

We spread stone all the time on farm drive ways.
Untill the tractor spreads it out and compacts it, you could not drive through 6 inch deep stone with your rv.
Must be a rich state or they were building a new road bed and you were on a closed section.

( Tar and chip is maybe a quarter of an inch.)

Spread correctly.
If you drove over 2 or 3 miled per hour,
I doubt you could, buy if you did fast enough to throw stone.
The blames all 100 percent on you.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:06 AM   #32

Quote:
I can't see me towing a box trailer for my truck. To many times I've had to back in to a space at a park and don't want to have to unload my truck to unhitch the trailer to just back in for a overnight stay. Plus finding a place to park at my house. I already have 3 different tounge hitch trailers. Lol
We rarely utilize CGs that only have back-in sites. In over 2 years of full time traveling we haven't had any real issues finding pull through sites long enough to handle our size. I'll admit we just don't randomly wonder around the U.S.A., we do pre-plan our route and stops.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
6 inches deep ? Your kidding ? Right
And you kept driving. ?

We spread stone all the time on farm drive ways.
Untill the tractor spreads it out and compacts it, you could not drive through 6 inch deep stone with your rv.
Must be a rich state or they were building a new road bed and you were on a closed section.

( Tar and chip is maybe a quarter of an inch.)

Spread correctly.
If you drove over 2 or 3 miled per hour,
I doubt you could, buy if you did fast enough to throw stone.
The blames all 100 percent on you.
It was pea gravel and yes you can drive thru it. There was no other option other than the state highway I was on or I would not have been on it. Don't come to Oklahoma in your travels you won't like the roads. Best to try another state.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #34

We have used the Blu Ox KarGard for over 7 years and we have never had a chip on the car. Unlike the other poster, we do not find it a pain to install - we think it is rather simple. We like that it folds when not being used so it is easy to store.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #35

In 6" of gravel I sure wouldn't be going 35 mph for 23 miles!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Seems you don't want to confirm the road you were on so others can beware, or have you fudged this just a bit. I don't think Oklahoma is responsible or to blame for you continuing 23 miles at posted speed limit when you felt the road conditions were not favorable to your equipment.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:07 AM   #37

Quote:
I was plowing thru at least 6 inches deep of gravel. Even removing the mud flap would not have stopped the damage.
Where is this road with 6 inches of loose gravel ???
Im from Far South East Kansas rght on the Oklahoma boarder.
We ran cattle in both states. Grew some wheat also. Had cousins farming 100 miles south into Oklahoma. My brother and our daughter went to college in Tulsa. So Im very aware of most all roads in Oklahoma.
Yes, red riverbed rock, pea gravel is used on the roads. But its never 6 inches deep of loose stone to, ( plow through ) ?
Unless the township just dumped it and there was road construction going on.
Again, what road and where ?
Old 10-05-2019, 12:11 AM   #38

Quote:
It was pea gravel and yes you can drive thru it. There was no other option other than the state highway I was on or I would not have been on it. Don't come to Oklahoma in your travels you won't like the roads. Best to try another state.
?????
Old 10-05-2019, 07:03 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
It was highway 412 west of Enid on the 2 lane section that starts at Enid. Not exactly sure of mile markers. I have only traveled that highway twice. Once going to Colorado on July 15th and coming home on August 20th. It was early evening. There were no workers present, no equipment around. Just a orange sign stating loose gravel and one of those large orange portable signs on a single axel trailer that said 35 mph for the next 23 miles. I did not get out with my tape measure and measure how deep it actually was. The center and the side of the road was piled up with gravel. If you are familiar with this highway you know there is not much traffic. Going out that way I think I passed 2 tractors. It's strange you don't believe this story. I have the damage to my truck to prove it.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
If you don't believe my above post you really won't believe the rest of that week leading up to that. The 20th was a Tuesday. On the 17th which was a Saturday my oldest was in a wreck that totaled out her car. A driver made a u turn in front of her. Then on Sunday night my wife's car was stolen from my house. Got the call about it Monday morning. Decided to cut our trip short and come home. Would have much rather stayed in Colorado till the end of September.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Patrick, I sincerely hope your string on misfortune is behind you, you have certainly had enough to last for awhile. Jim
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
Patrick, I sincerely hope your string on misfortune is behind you, you have certainly had enough to last for awhile. Jim
Thank you, Hope so too. Losing my brother in law last Friday from apperant massive heart attack made the other events seem small. He was only 59.

Tags
toad