RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-02-2019, 08:51 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 554
Best protection for toad?

Need recommendations for protectioning my toad. I have a 2018 F150. After traveling on a Oklahoma state highway with tar and a lot of pea gravel for 23 miles my 7 month old truck was damaged. Cost to repair just under 24,000. State would not accept liability! Having to use my insurance to cover repairs. I use a roadmaster tow bar. From searching I've not seen anything that is large enough (width) to protect my truck when it's attached to the tow bar. Don't want this happening again.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
2008 MADP 4523
patrickemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 39,797
I use an Ultraguard solid rubber flap on the back of the MH positioned to hang 6" off the ground, and a Protect-a-Tow mesh shield between the MH and toad. Never had a rock chip!
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Tranquil Jim's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Posts: 3,287
We use the Roadmaster "Tow Defender" and have never had a rock chip or other damage.

TJ
__________________
Jim (W7DHC), Diane & Mini Schnauzers, Lizzy & Ellie
2018 Mountain Aire 4047 + 2014 Honda CR-V "toad" w/AF1
Tranquil Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Unplanned's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Posts: 3,113
Enclosed cargo trailer.
__________________
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
ewlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 664
Suggest you remove the big "Billboard" mud flap. We removed ours prior to our trip to Alaska and never had an issue. The big mudflap just kicks up rock/gravel onto the toad. We talked with a gentleman in Dawson Creek and the front of his new jeep was peppered after a short distance.
__________________
Wayne, Cindy, & Golden Retriever Finn
2017 London Aire, 2014 CRV, Go Hokies
ewlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
rlott2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BC, Cariboo, Lower Mainland.
Posts: 1,839
24k for repairs! Thatís a lot of damage! I just removed my ad flap s recommended by others. We will see how it affects our toad.
__________________
2008 KSDP/2013 Flex
2nd year Fulltimers and still loving it.
rlott2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
We use the Roadmaster "Tow Defender" and have never had a rock chip or other damage.

TJ
Just checked the tow defender dementions, not wide enough, only 6'. Needs at least another foot in width.
__________________
2008 MADP 4523
patrickemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 554
Does anyone use the Tow Car Shield? After a little research I ran across it. It's like a car or coach bra that completely covers the bumper up over the hood and windshield. They also have side mirror covers as well.
__________________
2008 MADP 4523
patrickemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:39 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
Suggest you remove the big "Billboard" mud flap. We removed ours prior to our trip to Alaska and never had an issue. The big mudflap just kicks up rock/gravel onto the toad. We talked with a gentleman in Dawson Creek and the front of his new jeep was peppered after a short distance.
I was plowing thru at least 6 inches deep of gravel. Even removing the mud flap would not have stopped the damage.
__________________
2008 MADP 4523
patrickemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
24k for repairs! Thatís a lot of damage! I just removed my ad flap s recommended by others. We will see how it affects our toad.
Yes it was. The only part of the truck that wasn't damaged was the rear window.
__________________
2008 MADP 4523
patrickemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Bushy's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
24k for repairs! Thatís a lot of damage! I just removed my ad flap s recommended by others. We will see how it affects our toad.
Agree with both points. Calling the rear flap an "ad flap" is an accurate description. We all have more functional flaps right behind each rear tire. The Newmar emblazoned flap at the rear is pure marketing, decorative and counter productive. We had issues similar to the original poster. Once we took the advice offered liberally on IRV2 to remove the ad flap - very very little subsequent rock chips.
__________________
RB - North Dakota
2016 VTDP 3709
dragging a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK Sahara
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 14,289
I had the same thing happen in Texas about seven years ago. We were on a four lane highway where they were actually dumping pea gravel on to the road in the other direction. Our side hadn't been coated yet, so you were driving on just pea gravel. Most of our damage was from people going by at 60 mph.

We fought with Texas for months, first denials and then they said the law prevents them from being liable. If I lived in Texas, I would have ran the issue all the way to the Governor.

With that said, I doubt you'll find another instance like that in your travels. I wouldn't jump to any expensive new protection. I tow a truck and most of what can be damaged is well above the height of any debris coming from under the coach, since they sit so tall. I have one small paint strip, just above the bumper. There I use a product called Road Wrap, which is like saran wrap.

I've had a correctly adjusted rear flap on my three DP's since 2005 and they've never caused issues and at times have saved the day with some big road gators.

I will also tell you that my brother-in-law bought one of those full front end covers.....what a pain. It's a nice idea, until you have to deal with it. On a full size truck it will be time consuming to install. He also found on stops where he needed to disconnect the toad, like back in sites, you have to remove half of it to see. The worse part though.....look at your truck after a day of towing. It's covered in dirt/dust from what a DP blows out the back. Now imagine handling that cover and trying to store it each time while covered in dirt.

Personally, I like to keep camping simple, if its not, you take the fun out of it.
__________________
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:36 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
CaptainGizmo's Avatar


 
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 893
You will find HUGE threads on this topic, and I can attest to the fact stated above, that many have found the culprit to be the full width ďrock guardĒ. I took mine off the fist trip up my street; as when I backed up, it acted as a one-way valve and jammed into the street.

I tow the same F150, except itís the Raptor, which is about the widest truck youíll pull. I was crazy worried about damage, but had to trust the experience of others.

Iíve towed it all summer, for about 6,000 miles. We traveled 11 western states. No problems at all.

My vehicles have always had the 3M Invisi-shield, or equivalent, protection across the front, mirrors, headlights, and partway up the hoods. This stuff IS THE KEY to preventing rock chips!!! Case in point: I had a punk throw a rock at my Vette as I was driving, and all the rock did was tear the Shield. $45 (paid by the Dad), and I was good as new. The stuff works!! Trucks are expensive; mine was around $700 as I recall...but worth every penny for piece of mind and MORESO...RESALE value!!

Hope this helps.
__________________
Steve & Janice
2019 Dutch Star 4369
"We're late to the party!"
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I had the same thing happen in Texas about seven years ago. We were on a four lane highway where they were actually dumping pea gravel on to the road in the other direction. Our side hadn't been coated yet, so you were driving on just pea gravel. Most of our damage was from people going by at 60 mph.

We fought with Texas for months, first denials and then they said the law prevents them from being liable. If I lived in Texas, I would have ran the issue all the way to the Governor.

With that said, I doubt you'll find another instance like that in your travels. I wouldn't jump to any expensive new protection. I tow a truck and most of what can be damaged is well above the height of any debris coming from under the coach, since they sit so tall. I have one small paint strip, just above the bumper. There I use a product called Road Wrap, which is like saran wrap.

I've had a correctly adjusted rear flap on my three DP's since 2005 and they've never caused issues and at times have saved the day with some big road gators.

I will also tell you that my brother-in-law bought one of those full front end covers.....what a pain. It's a nice idea, until you have to deal with it. On a full size truck it will be time consuming to install. He also found on stops where he needed to disconnect the toad, like back in sites, you have to remove half of it to see. The worse part though.....look at your truck after a day of towing. It's covered in dirt/dust from what a DP blows out the back. Now imagine handling that cover and trying to store it each time while covered in dirt.

Personally, I like to keep camping simple, if its not, you take the fun out of it.
When you said correctly adjusted flap, could you explain that in a little more detail please.

I tend to agree with you about it happening again. I will never travel on it again, I'll turn around and reroute. I have put 9 to 10 thousand miles a year on my coach for the last 2 years and haven't had any damage till now.

If I do decide to get the full cover type bra storing isn't a issue, I'll store it in the bed of the truck.

I haven't really been impressed with anything out on the market.
__________________

__________________
2008 MADP 4523
patrickemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
toad



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best lawn bug killer, best weed killer, best lawn food on a budget Durango Dave Just Conversation 3 07-29-2017 10:01 PM
surge protection with high and low voltage protection Delacroix Newmar Owner's Forum 11 05-17-2016 10:16 PM
Best 30a Surge Protection for $$$ clarkgriswold Class A Motorhome Discussions 19 07-26-2011 07:36 PM
Best Protection For Toad alw Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 19 06-02-2010 05:36 PM
Trident Protection Systems paint protection AFChap MH-General Discussions & Problems 2 09-26-2008 10:28 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×