Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
This is really a

Neil is providing disinformation, but I believe his hearts in the right place. From a pure data perspective, from what I've read in research over the last few days, the MIMO router approach with a good antenna is in most cases going to be a better option than booster, BUT if you are focused mostly on calls and using your phone and don't care if you get 2Mbps download vs. 22, then the booster is very effective.

So, rather than polluting this thread, which I think is great if the focus is the BEST possible internet speeds with countering the disinformation about cell boosters, why don't we keep Turbo's thread clean of the "boosters are dead", "ahhh, that's ridiculous, boosters work very well" back and forth and talk boosters in the other thread, and MIMO cellular modems in this one.

Yes...Guys...in context and respect to the SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD, that TP clearly phrased:

THIS IS FOR INTERNET FOR DUMMIES...
NOT CELLULAR PHONE CALLS FOR DUMMIES!!

So, talking about weBoosts [sic] has nothing to do with TurboPilot’s recommendations and is only kicking up dust.

TP, correct me please, if I’m misstating.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #58
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I think this thread is in serious danger of losing its focus. Turbopilot, NealC and RedBaron73 have simply provided information about an emerging technology. Readers of this thread are free to use this information in whatever way they want.

Questioning the credentials of the people providing information moves this thread in a whole different direction. If readers don't trust those providing information, the solution is simple; they should just ignore them and find a source they do trust.

While I am technologically challenged (primarily due to my own choice), I am learning a lot from these posts. I haven't reached the point of dropping $1K+ on a boosting system of some kind, but is is very helpful to read the experiences of those who have. I appreciate the efforts made by these posters to help educate me.

Just my feeble $.02 worth.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post

TP, correct me please, if I’m misstating.
You got it right. I think the "digitally challenged" folks on the forum are getting confused about differences between handling cellular voice calls on a handset and getting the highest quality IP data stream to a mobile router. They both come from the same place but historically have been handled differently.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Turbo spent a lot of time on his article and links to related topics to help educate the less technical per my nudge in another thread to help those of which there are many here don't understand some of our discussions. Some people want to hold on to what they know, former technology, that's your choice. Turbo is helping those choose or upgrade to Internet solutions in 2019, not 2017. 2020 will be different as well. Technology changes rapidly, Turbo discovered and shared better solutions that allowed me, at no cheap price, to improve my Internet and emergency connectivity (WiFi calling).

TJ, I'm planning a trip your way. Amazon sells slate and chalk, I just need you to find a good cave for a classroom and make the fire, I only use propane now.

TJ yes, this thread has spiraled out of simplicity which was the initial objective and is laced with some Testosterone or insecurity of some that try to participate.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Understood, which is why I'm trying to get the back and forth, much of it not accurate, out of this thread and into the other, because selfishly, I'm interested in this topic, as for me the best data speed (and more importantly greatest reach in remote areas) is my primary desire.

Question on antenna. I don't have an easy way to mount mine above air conditioners, etc., and those antennas don't look super easy to pole mount, or are they? My ventana doesn't have the raised sides/front cap that some other units do. I currently have my antenna mounted on top of my ladder to get it above the other units.

So, is flush mounting it at the front of the coach, as far away from antenna, sat dish, etc. ok, or do I need to get it raised?

Also, with all the back and forth on boosters, you might have missed my other question. The one modem, two sims is NOT a reasonable fallback option from what I've read, so I definitely want to go with two modems, which with IBR900 means extensibility +M400 I believe. My question was if that had the latest snapdragon chipset you were looking at (for your 2020 recommendation) or is there a more advanced modem I should be looking at. I don't mind spending a few more bucks to get the best current solution.
RedBaron has some good advice. Nothing is perfect. Ideally you want an antenna just above the highest obstacle 360 degrees around the coach. You want to mount the antenna so it will break away if hit (Dicor plus 3M double sided tape). You also want to mount the antenna as far away as possible from other antennas, particularly the TV antenna to avoid interference. Every roof is different so no good answer for everyone. Key is to use non destructive mounting like I mentioned above. Easy to try new locations.

As to the new CAT 18 modem chipsets. Unless you are going to only use ATT hold off for now. We are still on the bleeding edge. These things really take a long time in development. The CAT 18 Snapdragon was announced as a product in 2017.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #62
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Turbo spent a lot of time on his article and links to related topics to help educate the less technical per my nudge in another thread to help those of which there are many here don't understand some of our discussions. Some people want to hold on to what they know, former technology, that's your choice. Turbo is helping those choose or upgrade to Internet solutions in 2019, not 2017. 2020 will be different as well. Technology changes rapidly, Turbo discovered and shared better solutions that allowed me, at no cheap price, to improve my Internet and emergency connectivity (WiFi calling).

TJ, I'm planning a trip your way. Amazon sells slate and chalk, I just need you to find a good cave for a classroom and make the fire, I only use propane now.

TJ yes, this thread has spiraled out of simplicity which was the initial objective and is laced with some Testosterone or insecurity of some that try to participate.
Neal:

Great offer! Come up to Montana in early September...a really beautiful time...and I'll make arrangements for a site next door to Lady Di and I. And, I will find a chalkboard and a LARGE supply of chalk. No cave nearby, but we'll make do. Just let me know when you'll be here.

TJ
Old 05-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #63
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
You got it right. I think the "digitally challenged" folks on the forum are getting confused about differences between handling cellular voice calls on a handset and getting the highest quality IP data stream to a mobile router. They both come from the same place but historically have been handled differently.
Exactly right, at least in my case! I was having a hard time sorting out the voice and data aspects. Your article, and the subsequent discussions surrounding it, have helped me understand the difference.

Thanks.

TJ
Old 05-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
T

I'll be at West Glacier, MT beginning June 9 with the New Aire. Bring your chalk board.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #65
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I'll be at West Glacier, MT beginning June 9 with the New Aire. Bring your chalk board.
Sadly, we won't be here then. We have a June 3 warranty service appointment in Nappanee. That's really disappointing as we'd love to have the opportunity to "meet and greet." And, to do a "chalk talk."

Another time, hopefully.

TJ
Old 05-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #66

I have a question related to this threads topic but not about the hardware. I’m posting my question on this thread because of the number of internet data knowledgeable people participating. If I should start a new thread with my question let me know and I’ll do that.

How do you manage data costs in your RV if you are a heavy data user? I connect my current WiFi Ranger Pro to an Apple device hotspot for data. I have an AT&T unlimited plan with 3 iPads and 1 iPhone that all have hotspot capability. As I understand the plan each of those 4 units provide 15GB of high speed hotspot data per month and then they downgrade to slow data. On a recent 4 day trip we used 14.5 GB of data. This was primarily from streaming HD movies to Apple TV’s. A fair amount of data was also used when I loaded some 4k drone video onto my Mac that was connected to iCloud, so the file was automatically uploaded to the cloud.

At the end of this short trip when I saw the data usage I realized if we were on the road for a month we would quickly use all of our high speed data allowance. What happens to practical usage when you are downgraded to the slower speeds? Are you no longer able to stream HD video shows? Does surfing the web become painfully slow? Do FaceTime video calls stop working reliably?

Does anyone know of a data plan that provides unlimited high speed or at least a very high data allowance for high speed? Have others found a solution for heavy usage of high speed data? I realize there are ways to reduce my data usage like streaming in SD instead of HD, downloading movies at home to an iPad so I have a local version on the road, turn off iCloud and DropBox sync on all devices, etc. I really don’t want to go through the hassle of all that.

Thanks for any tips offered.
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Turbo..we will have to finally meet. My property is in coram MT about 3.5 miles from west glacier. I will get there late June thru late August.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna_Wander View Post
I have a question related to this threads topic but not about the hardware. I’m posting my question on this thread because of the number of internet data knowledgeable people participating. If I should start a new thread with my question let me know and I’ll do that.

How do you manage data costs in your RV if you are a heavy data user? I connect my current WiFi Ranger Pro to an Apple device hotspot for data. I have an AT&T unlimited plan with 3 iPads and 1 iPhone that all have hotspot capability. As I understand the plan each of those 4 units provide 15GB of high speed hotspot data per month and then they downgrade to slow data. On a recent 4 day trip we used 14.5 GB of data. This was primarily from streaming HD movies to Apple TV’s. A fair amount of data was also used when I loaded some 4k drone video onto my Mac that was connected to iCloud, so the file was automatically uploaded to the cloud.

At the end of this short trip when I saw the data usage I realized if we were on the road for a month we would quickly use all of our high speed data allowance. What happens to practical usage when you are downgraded to the slower speeds? Are you no longer able to stream HD video shows? Does surfing the web become painfully slow? Do FaceTime video calls stop working reliably?

Does anyone know of a data plan that provides unlimited high speed or at least a very high data allowance for high speed? Have others found a solution for heavy usage of high speed data? I realize there are ways to reduce my data usage like streaming in SD instead of HD, downloading movies at home to an iPad so I have a local version on the road, turn off iCloud and DropBox sync on all devices, etc. I really don’t want to go through the hassle of all that.

Happy to help, no worries about posting here.

I have a unlimited unthrottled plan with AT&T via their Connected Car offering I got two years ago (Mobley). They have resumed the plan so others can get Connected Car plans now, slightly more expensive I believe but well worth it. Guessing around $30/month.

I have a Verizon Unlimited plan on their Prepaid side (it may not show on their web site right now per other resources but you can call and get it). It's $70/month true unlimited (not like beyondUnlimited/aboveUnlimited on the postpaid side). It drops $5/mo if you use autopay.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna_Wander View Post

I have 3 sims from at&t on different unlimited accounts. During non rv mode, 1 remains in the rv and the other 2 are used with traveling hotspots for work.

Mine usually hits 1.2tb per month, my wife averages 700gb per month.

When in rv mode we can see excess of 2tb of data per month. Never had a meaningful slow down or threating letter.

Amazon prime, HBO now, and Netflix account for most of the data. I do not use torrent or other data streams that ISP will flag as questionable and my uploads are under 100gb.

2 of the sims are part of a family share plan and one 1 a Mobley. I have treated all the same and no trouble.

When RV is parked at home, it is connected to my house network and becomes part of a larger load balance for my house ISP.

I use the heck out of it and never had a problem.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I have 3 sims from at&t on different unlimited accounts. During non rv mode, 1 remains in the rv and the other 2 are used with traveling hotspots for work.

Mine usually hits 1.2tb per month, my wife averages 700gb per month.

When in rv mode we can see excess of 2tb of data per month. Never had a meaningful slow down or threating letter.

Amazon prime, HBO now, and Netflix account for most of the data. I do not use torrent or other data streams that ISP will flag as questionable and my uploads are under 100gb.

2 of the sims are part of a family share plan and one 1 a Mobley. I have treated all the same and no trouble.

When RV is parked at home, it is connected to my house network and becomes part of a larger load balance for my house ISP.

I use the heck out of it and never had a problem.
If we are ever at the same CG...the aluminum foil around your antenna was not me! (hoping his caffeine levels are higher than earlier)

Tags
internet