Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna_Wander View Post
Thanks again Neil. The link you sent has a data slow down provision

"Get unlimited data for your car starting at $20/mo.

After 22GB/line/mo. AT&T may temporarily slow speeds when the network is busy."

I'm looking for a plan with unlimited high speed.

I just contacted AT$T and, unfortunately, once again they’ve raised their price back up to $30/mo.

This is for a stand-alone account, plus a non-subsided SPARK box for $79.

UGH.

So, for now, I’ll stick with my T-Mobile SIM for $20/month. This is a great deal, because of the $40/mo discount as a plan add-on, and another $5 for Auto-pay.

The downside is that’s only SD streaming. If I upgrade it to the “ONE PLUS” tablet plan for another $10/mo, then I’ll get full HD.

So, there’d be zero cost difference, and the question would be which carrier would be better for travel. And THAT is not a part of this discussion! LOL
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I have already experienced wifi calling being much better with the cat6 setup vs just straight cell phone in some areas.
If I'm in an area with limited or no ATT coverage, I use my Verizon hotspot and then use my ATT call with WiFi calling.

It's a real good option for me, but as a few people in this thread (or maybe the other) mentioned, for some it isn't an option, either because they are with a carrier that doesn't allow WiFi calling (the consumer cellular/cricket types, not sure if they offer it, but I just mean the non primary carriers) or have an unlocked phone and ATT won't allow it.

So, for some, WiFi calling isn't an option, for me it is and I use it currently.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #115

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
$30/month for unlimited is GOLD. I dove on the Mobley plan and then it went away, I was lucky, I'm sure many around here were not too happy to not be able to find a true unlimited plan for 20-30/month and AT&T is one of the fastest and top carriers IMHO. In many places AT&T is good, VZW is not, and vice versa of course. Verizon's cheapest "true unlimited" is $65/mo with autopay.

And yes, I'm laughing at a 2019 Dutch Star 4369 owner not wanting to pay $30/mo but I'm not naming names.

It all comes down to how vital is your Internet to your RV lifestyle. I got my RV specifically to work on the road. Some get theirs to get away from work. So it all just depends on the need and associated costs. We all love subscriptions!
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:12 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
$30/month for unlimited is GOLD.
What ^ he ^ said.

Heck, I bought two mobleys during the first $20 a month offer, because it's just an insane deal.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #117

Quote:
And yes, I'm laughing at a 2019 Dutch Star 4369 owner not wanting to pay $30/mo but I'm not naming names.

We all love subscriptions!

Begin defense...
[place tongue in cheek]

“Shut up, Neal!” LOL. [emoji13]. I know who you’re laughing at...as you keep spending my money!

I’m not being cheap, just careful. In addition to my daughter’s wedding in two weeks, I’ve been spending money like a drunken sailor, outfitting our DS4369!

I’ve also been on a rampage, by cutting out needless subscriptions, and monthly expenses INCLUDING family-plan healthcare and family cell plans...yikes! I’m doing this so we CAN afford to splurge, travel, and continue to enjoy fun toys on a fixed pension.

I AM ALREADY PAYING for $30/mo for unlimited data!!! I just happen to be using the T-Mobile SIM. So, the question is not about paying the 30, it’s about do I want to PAY ANOTHER 30, or even do I want to switch the SIM to AT&T.

Finally, you seem to assume that just because someone pays for a 4369, they have any money left!!

The defense rests.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:25 AM   #118

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
LOL - Tell me about it, now if Amazon Prime would get out of my life! I'm finally at a state where all deliveries are delivered. How did that happen? Hold on, have to take care of that.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:29 AM   #119

Quote:
LOL - Tell me about it, now if Amazon Prime would get out of my life! I'm finally at a state where all deliveries are delivered. How did that happen? Hold on, have to take care of that.

Oh crap!! That’s RIGHT!! Prime went up AGAIN. Yeah, I gotta adjust my “Recurring Subs Expenses” spreadsheet...DON’T make one of those, if you wanna keep your sanity!! I couldn’t BELIEVE all the nickel and dimes that we are/were spending on the slightest things, which all add up; Prime, iCloud, Music, etc. etc.

And, dropping my family plan to go to the 55+ plan was AWESOME, but guess what...now I gotta decide whether or not to drop NETFLIX, which “was” paid for by T-Mobile.

Sorry for the little side-bar, folks, but maybe there are some “nuggets” in Neal and my jabbing for others to learn from.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #120

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Begin defense...
[place tongue in cheek]

“Shut up, Neal!” LOL. [emoji13]. I know who you’re laughing at...as you keep spending my money!

I’m not being cheap, just careful. In addition to my daughter’s wedding in two weeks, I’ve been spending money like a drunken sailor, outfitting our DS4369!

I’ve also been on a rampage, by cutting out needless subscriptions, and monthly expenses INCLUDING family-plan healthcare and family cell plans...yikes! I’m doing this so we CAN afford to splurge, travel, and continue to enjoy fun toys on a fixed pension.

I AM ALREADY PAYING for $30/mo for unlimited data!!! I just happen to be using the T-Mobile SIM. So, the question is not about paying the 30, it’s about do I want to PAY ANOTHER 30, or even do I want to switch the SIM to AT&T.

Finally, you seem to assume that just because someone pays for a 4369, they have any money left!!

The defense rests.
This reminds me of a person named Ernie. All he does is complain about me spending his money. At least this time I am not guilty
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #121

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
This reminds me of a person named Ernie. All he does is complain about me spending his money. At least this time I am not guilty
This reminds me of a forum, no, a site, named IRV2 that costs us all tons of money! Stop it!
Old 05-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #122

Quote:
Me too, Ronnie! I have a dear friend, who came to ME for advice on a camera and computer system over a decade ago...it took my advice and went NUTS! Went into business and has been killing it ever since. Yet, he continues to remind me that his wife won't let me in the house! LOL

As it's said, "Paybacks are a B&*$(!" or, is that "What goes around..."

Whatever...I deserve it.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:49 PM   #123

Quote:
You can also use a separate WiFi router for inside the coach if you desired by just plugging it into the LAN port of the Pepwave/Cradlepoint system. This allows the PW/CP router to do the work of pulling in the signal and a separate system broadcasting it internally. NOT NECESSARY as these have their own Access Points (internal WiFi broadcast) but it's yet another option for those that need to know. Trying to keep this thread on the simple tone and avoid the spiral/spin of geekery.

KISS applies here.
Commenting on the text in BOLD...

A router has nothing to do with WiFi. A *router* addresses and sends traffic between networks, not devices.

A WAP - Wireless Access Point - is how your mobile devices connect to *your* network (home, office, or external network like RV park, Starbucks, etc).

Consumer marketing has mis-labeled the devices and technology to sell to consumers who, by and large, prefer simplistic labels. The "wireless router" in your house or small office is actually several devices in one box: router, NAT firewall, data switch, DHCP server, MAC address filter, and WAP. Some have additional features.

IT nomenclature is a bit like talking to the phone company 40 years ago... you didn't have "phone" on your desk, you had an "instrument". Once you leave Staples or Best Buy and deal with an IT pro, the words we commonly use are found to be incorrect and often confuse rather than enhance problems solving and trouble shooting. To most of us we have a "monitor". To the IT folks it's a "display" or "video display."

The point of all this as it pertains to your post, is you want to add another WAP. Using another "WiFi router" might work or it might not, and it will certainly confuse troubleshooting when it doesn't work later.

/semantics lesson
Old 05-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #124

Great thread, enjoying it.
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #125

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I am truly sorry, I forgot the title of this thread so I need to clarify my overly technical post to some of the readers and recent contributors herein.

I have a thing, in it is a thing that connects to a place that all the stuff comes from. In the thing that I have plugged in, is another wire that I plug another thing into the thing. That thing spreads stuff that my other things connect to and show stuff, download stuff, and allow me to post stuff like this here. Depending on your things stuff can be faster and if there are things in the way of the stuff it can be slower. The goal here is to buy the simple things that make the stuff faster. Now if you want more things plugged into other things, it can get a little more complicated but it can work too. If you have any questions I can publish this stuff about things for others to read when not using a thing.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If you had to describe my level of "techno challenge".....it would be a picture of a wheelchair. I read through all of this. Turbopilot did a great job of making it understandable to the most challenged, people like me. I don't need the level of internet some have, but it's nice to have a grasp of what I might need in the future.

I agree that Turbopilot needs to share his wealth with the rest of the forum, but I also find that presenting this info to a group, like the Newmar Forum, gives us an opportunity to understand this stuff, without going to the Technical Forum and not understanding any of it.

Turbopilot…….thanks for making this so the less technical types can understand. I think I can now upgrade from just playing "Pong".
How would putting this in a RV Technology forum change the contents of the post? If it's nice and clear here in Neal's "tribe" forum, why would it not be nice and clear when shared in the more appropriate forum? There's nothing in the post that is Newmar-specific.

Tags
internet