Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2019, 05:31 PM   #561

Thanks @redbaron73 and @tnedator!

FWIW, I've tried to research the router/WAP capabilities of the Pepwave and Cradlepoint models discussed here and what I've discovered so far (alot of their docs and manuals are buried behind paywalls) is that the CPs seem limited to 2 SSIDs, and no mention for the PWs. And I have no info on VLANs mapping to SSIDs, or anything more advanced.

I've considered getting a PoE-powered cellular modem so that it could be roof-mounted leading to benefits of (a) VERY short antenna lead cables, and (b) minimizing new holes in the roof for 4+ RG-59 cables. For example, could get a CP CBA850 w/ CAT18 modem (user replaceable too!) or a PW MAX BR1 mini w/ CAT6 modem. (The former costs 50% more, or about $250 more.) Neither has an integrated WAP though, thus leading to the question I asked earlier. BUT the short antenna leads should lead to the best possible LTE signal at the modem, and thus more usable internet in fringe locations, right? I'm expecting that will be important to me.
dmp1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2019, 08:25 PM   #562

Best RV Internet for Dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp1991 View Post
Your interpretation of post #1 is different than mine. I read it as "best for dummies" which is different than "for the masses". While it seems to me to be mostly a discussion of modem technology, turbopilot does make suggestions of integrated devices using that technology right in post #1. Plus, the discussion has veered at times to discussing sim plans, installs, etc. which wasn't complained about. I didn't think asking about the choice of integrated device vs non-integrated (still with those best modems) would be taken as off-topic.

Also, consider I'm new to RVing and thus a "dummy" about that aspect.

Were you referring to this thread? http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/opti...rv-428943.html

If so, to me that title more strictly implies discussion about advanced cellular rather than networking itself. Admittedly, haven't read all that thread yet. It's longer than this one!

I understand. My point was so as to not reinvent the wheel. There’s been an exhaustive amount of information being posted and I was just hoping to ping you in the right direction. With thousands of posts between about 3 threads, I’d be a fool to say that you could get everything from post #1; it was merely a focus point.

Yes, that link takes you to one more of the threads. It takes work to find this stuff; thanks to being sidetracked and buried so much. This forum software is horrid for cataloging this awesome info...that ends up getting asked over and over and over again.

I’m also impatient when it comes to getting answers or information. So, I tend to treat others as if they have the same sense of urgency I do, rather than wait for weeks and months for the same information to come in again.

By the way, NealC is also super knowledgeable with this stuff and started this thread; again, with some good stuff veering off topic:

Configuring and Optimizing your Pepwave MAX Cellular and WiFi Router
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:42 PM   #563

Okay folks, I just got the go ahead to order one of these systems!!

So here’s my scenario:

We are currently living in our RV as we just closed on our house (yesterday) and while we have adequate cell service (T-Mobile) I would like to purchase a system that could possibly be used at our next house, assuming we can park close enough.

Although I work in technology (windows server guy) I like simple. So at this point I don’t see the need of vlans or multiple ip spaces, just a simple setup that ‘perhaps’ could run off of either power, AC or DC.

When this thread first started I printed out each page and read it carefully, but now I feel like I’m a bit lost, as it’s covered a LOT of different paths, so I just need help in determining the best fit.

In that regard I see us using this while I’m driving (DW likes to watch movies occasionally as we drive through some of the less appealing landscapes).
When we boondock.
When in campgrounds.
When at home, wherever that will be.

We most likely will be house less for the next two to three months (burrr, could be getting too cold by November!)

Thanks again for starting this post as I know everyone has appreciated the thorough research and clear instructions on this topic.

And I know everything I need is posted on that first post, but I wanted to make sure nothing has changed in light of new LTE updates and data plans.

Thanks again!
Tri
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:16 PM   #564

I have T-Mobile and use the tablet Sim in a pep wave max

Nothing more than that.

Plain and simple, it works.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:03 PM   #565

We’re going to be ordering a 2020 New Aire in the next few weeks and are putting together a list of specials. Would Newmar install the Cradlepoint or Pepwave ILO the WiFi Ranger LTE? Or should I just request a roof conduit, cabling & outlet for the driver’s side cabinet? If someone would be so kind to spec it for me, I’d greatly appreciate it.

I do have Verizon, so can pick up one more SIM for the unit.

I would have my local dealer install it...I’m an old engineer (underscore “old”)...and don’t want to be messing about on the roof.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akdare View Post
We’re going to be ordering a 2020 New Aire in the next few weeks and are putting together a list of specials. Would Newmar install the Cradlepoint or Pepwave ILO the WiFi Ranger LTE? Or should I just request a roof conduit, cabling & outlet for the driver’s side cabinet? If someone would be so kind to spec it for me, I’d greatly appreciate it.

I would have my local dealer install it...I’m an old engineer (underscore “old”)...and don’t want to be messing about on the roof.
I would do conduit and outlet, and then have your dealer mount the antenna(s). Now you might install a 2x2 or even 4x4 mimo antenna, but in a year or so you'll want a 4x4 or 5x5 antenna or one that supports different frequencies and the easier it is to rerun the cable the better.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:03 AM   #567

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akdare View Post

If you’re doing FPU you could ask your tech to install it for you. They may charge you a little labor time but at least it will be done.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:09 PM   #568

Personally, I agree with @tnedator since mobile technology is always changing, and 5G is right around the corner. So having conduit and power installed by the factory is your best future-proofing action. 2nd to me would be having antenna mounting location(s) installed on the roof - ideally ground planes just under the rail height so you could most easily keep up with antenna changes too.

After that, picking a combo modem/router/wifi unit would make the system as simple as possible. Like the devices @turbopilot mentions on post 1.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:13 AM   #569

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Neal's right, it's a pain...but probably not where you think. The PITA is actually GETTING THE FRIGGIN' Spark ordered (it's a complete different division of AT&T), especially if you credit is LOCKED as our's is!!

I've listed the procedures, but guess they're worth repeating.

Once you GET your device, it's cake, as far as I'm concerned...just follow these steps!!

GET THE SPARK SET UP:
  1. DOWNLOAD THE APP!!
  2. Follow the instructions ON THE APP!!
  3. Install the SPARK in your vehicle's OBDII port.
  4. Get ACTIVATED
  5. Await full verification that you're up and running with the SPARK
  6. [Extra Credit for the A Students] Take a quick drive just to make sure it's functioning on it's own

THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT, in terms of activation. You should be receiving an email with your account number WITH YOUR NEW PHONE NUMBER* assigned to the SPARK.

Now here comes the easiest part; getting your hard SIM card.

GO TO THE AT&T STORE:
  1. Take a snapshot of your Spark's label with the IMEI number (just in case)
  2. Leave your Spark at home
  3. Bring that new phone number*
  4. Tell the Rep you would like to get a new SIM CARD for an existing number you have.
  5. They will ask you for your name, phone number, ID...and that's all!
  6. The Rep will remove the number from the Spark and re-assign it to the SIM CARD.
  7. You walk out.

You now have a hard SIM CARD, which is still assigned to your account and phone number, but now assigned to the new SIM card, but still on the Connected Car Plan.
~ The End ~
Any updates on this? Is it still working? Has anyone else out there tried this? Thanks.
ebourlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #570

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebourlet View Post
Any updates on this? Is it still working? Has anyone else out there tried this? Thanks.

What do you mean, updates, still working?

Not sure if you mean switching the SIM card, or what. Between Neal and I, we’ve helped several and it’s worked fine...if you follow the procedures I posted.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #571

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Neal's right, it's a pain...but probably not where you think. The PITA is actually GETTING THE FRIGGIN' Spark ordered (it's a complete different division of AT&T), especially if you credit is LOCKED as our's is!!

I've listed the procedures, but guess they're worth repeating.

Once you GET your device, it's cake, as far as I'm concerned...just follow these steps!!

GET THE SPARK SET UP:
  1. DOWNLOAD THE APP!!
  2. Follow the instructions ON THE APP!!
  3. Install the SPARK in your vehicle's OBDII port.
  4. Get ACTIVATED
  5. Await full verification that you're up and running with the SPARK
  6. [Extra Credit for the A Students] Take a quick drive just to make sure it's functioning on it's own

THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT, in terms of activation. You should be receiving an email with your account number WITH YOUR NEW PHONE NUMBER* assigned to the SPARK.

Now here comes the easiest part; getting your hard SIM card.

GO TO THE AT&T STORE:
  1. Take a snapshot of your Spark's label with the IMEI number (just in case)
  2. Leave your Spark at home
  3. Bring that new phone number*
  4. Tell the Rep you would like to get a new SIM CARD for an existing number you have.
  5. They will ask you for your name, phone number, ID...and that's all!
  6. The Rep will remove the number from the Spark and re-assign it to the SIM CARD.
  7. You walk out.

You now have a hard SIM CARD, which is still assigned to your account and phone number, but now assigned to the new SIM card, but still on the Connected Car Plan.
~ The End ~
Spark appears out of stock when I bring it up on ATT.com. Captain mentions above that it has to be ordered from a different part of AT&T? If so, could someone point me to where I could get this thing so that I can order it? Will be a sad boy if I’m too late.

Also, never saw this question answered:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Pros/cons of Cradlepoint vs. Pepwave?
Might have missed the answer in the 40+ pages of info and commentary. If so, apologies and please point me to that debate. Otherwise, would like to get an idea of the benefits of one over the other outside of price.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnerd View Post
Spark appears out of stock when I bring it up on ATT.com. Captain mentions above that it has to be ordered from a different part of AT&T? If so, could someone point me to where I could get this thing so that I can order it? Will be a sad boy if I’m too late.

Also, never saw this question answered:

Might have missed the answer in the 40+ pages of info and commentary. If so, apologies and please point me to that debate. Otherwise, would like to get an idea of the benefits of one over the other outside of price.

That topic is a lot better covered in the other threads. Remember, this one is “For Dummies”; the Cradlepoint vs. PepWave is way out of the OP’s (TurboPilot) context.

Regarding purchasing the Spark, I found the link and went right to the page by typing “at&t Harman spark” in a google search. Remember, this is the Connected CarPlan division of AT&T.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnerd View Post
... would like to get an idea of the benefits of one over the other outside of price.
Great question!

I don't claim to know all the differences, but many of them will be in the specific model rather than manufacturer. That said, some of my own notes from my own recent research:
  1. Firmware updates. Cradlepoint currently requires an annual subscription to get the latest and to get support. Pepwave doesn't.
  2. Upgradeable modems. Some Cradlepoints can do this. No Pepwave can.
  3. Modem tech. Pepwave's latest and greatest versions are CAT12. Cradlepoints are CAT18. And if you have a model w/ upgrade options, you can put a CAT18 in your existing chassis.
  4. Band 71/TMobile support. Pepwave has one model supporting band 71 and it's a CAT4 modem. Cradlepoint offers this on multiple models (replaceable modems) (FWIW, band 71 is the lowest MHz band in the US which means it travels further and is least impacted by trees, walls, etc. This is probably important for fringe connections.)
  5. TTL configuration. Pepwave is beta'ing the ability to override TTL in outbound packets. I know of no equivalent for Cradlepoints. (FWIW, some (all?) carriers detect hotspot / tethering usage by looking at TTL. So being able to overwrite it at the modem can make your traffic appear as if it's coming from a 'phone' rather than hotspot/tether, which can work around caps/throttles on the latter if your plan has them. Doesn't do anything for IMEI sweeps though.)

BTW, if you're looking for the latest modem, Cradlepoint is supposed to start shipping their MC400-1200-B (band 14, band 71, and much improved aggregation pairing options) on Oct 1st. That includes models with the modem included and the standalone modems, or so I've heard.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #574

Optimizing LTE-A Modem Performance in an RV
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Tags
internet