RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #1

Best Storage Option?

Have an opportunity to choose between an outside covered with 15/20 amp plug in or an inside storage unit with 50 amp plug in. The difference between the 2 is only $100 a month and the later also has an on site dump station.

Secondary question - Is the 15 amp plug sufficient to store and NOT winterize (I live in Texas).

Will be storing a 41 ft VLE with expected minimum regular monthly use of 2-3 days and weekly vacations during the year.

Thanks in advance from a Newbie about to dive in!

htmac007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
15 amps will keep your batteries charged and run one air conditioner. Nothing wrong with that.

BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #3

I think I would lean toward the inside storage with 50 amp. Since you will use it quite regularly I assume fridge will always be left on? Do you have a residential fridge? I'm inside with mine but spent a lot of years outside and sometimes not covered.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:12 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Having gone both ways, I says take the inside storage. Well worth the extra cost. The inside storage will keep your coach clean, and will protect it from moisture and the very harmful rays of the sun. The covered storage still allows sun to reach your coach in front, back or side depending on roof configuration.

I used to have covered storage with 15A service. The electricity was barely enough to run one air conditioner, and regularly went off line due to a popped breaker. I never knew whether the coach would have power or not when I returned. With 50A service you will be able to keep anything running that you choose, including refrigerator, without popping breakers.

$100 a month is cheap for the advantages of the indoor storage.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Having gone both ways, I says take the inside storage. Well worth the extra cost. The inside storage will keep your coach clean, and will protect it from moisture and the very harmful rays of the sun. The covered storage still allows sun to reach your coach in front, back or side depending on roof configuration.

I used to have covered storage with 15A service. The electricity was barely enough to run one air conditioner, and regularly went off line due to a popped breaker. I never knew whether the coach would have power or not when I returned. With 50A service you will be able to keep anything running that you choose, including refrigerator, without popping breakers.

$100 a month is cheap for the advantages of the indoor storage.
X2

15amp is not enough to survive the freezing Texas weather we have had the past few years. You would have to supplement with either Gas heater or winterize. Indoor you would never worry about it, unless they allow the warehouse to freeze.
My RV garage is insulated, and we have never had it freeze inside even though there is not a heater in the garage. The coach uses electric heat on the oasis when parked to ensure it stays above 55, which is my preference, not required.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:48 AM   #6

I chose indoor Motorhome storage. Sun damage is less. Temperature swings are less. Pests and rodents are less to non-existent. I perceive security is better. Those attribute are well worth $100 to me.
Rdhplano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #7

Looks like inside with the 50 amp is the safe course. Yes, I do have a residential fridge and while I do not expect extreme Texas cold (live in Houston where we MIGHT get 2-3 hard overnight freezes a year) the extra protection should handle it.

Thanks to all for the input!
htmac007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Here is a link needed for your Newmar.
ALL the links below in my signature have answers for your Newmar also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:14 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
I second all those who point to the indoor with 50 amp as the best option. Actually 30 or even 20 amp would be fine, but having the coach indoors is the key.

I had indoor storage at a yard for one of my former coaches. Vandals broke into the yard one night and damaged many RVís and boats stored outside. Those of us with units locked up in the indoor stalls sustained no damage.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #10

I would NOT rely on having a coach plugged in to avoid winterizing. I do not know the climate where you live so take this as a general statement. I live in the Seattle area, and during a few winter months leave mine plugged into 30 amp power, BUT it is winterized. I am not relying on power to keep the coach warm.

We get windstorms November through about January and the power is subject to interruption, sometimes for days at a time. (stored in a rural area). IF you are confident in being able to maintain power to the coach, then maybe your approach would be OK. With my situation, no way.

X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage