Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #1

Best Washing Machine?

Hi All,

We are looking for suggestions for a new washer in our 2008 MADP. Our coach currently has a stock Whirlpool washer that is a paper weight inoperative POS.

We are looking over new washers to replace it with. While looking at reviews for the same replacement washer on Amazon, I have NEVER seen worse reviews on ANYTHING - ever. So ergo, I am VERY dubious to purchase another one....

Bosch looks GREAT, however - they 220Volt! ONLY!...so not a player.

Then of course there are the combo units and the Splendide. Kind of want a separate unit...

My current first choice is the LG WM1377HW (24Wx25.25Dx33.5H). Great reviews. $899. Best Buy. Free Shipping.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
BruceSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 04:59 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BruceSFL,
I prefer the combo Splendide unit. This is what I have had for the last 11 years. Just replaced the unit with the Splendide 2100 XC. The wife prefers the separate unites. However, I do the laundry so my vote is 51%.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:51 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
We had the 24 in. Wide Maytag in our last coach, which was better built and had better controls than these Whirlpool units being used by Newmar. Same for the Maytag dryer.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Our Splendide is 14 years old and all I have done is replace the pump once.

Spendide has excellent customer service and when I replace this one, it will be with another Splendide.

Just make sure you get a vented model
Old 03-23-2016, 07:00 AM   #5

After two of the Whirlpool washers failed, we replaced them with the 24 inch LG -- great machine. It is quieter, better balanced, and cleans better than the Whirlpool. We also have the larger LG at home and it is great.

The 24 inch LG is a little larger than the Whirlpool, and in our 2007 Kountry Star, we had to remove the doors at the washer. That wasn't an issue for us.

Both Whirlpool washers were replaced using our extended warranty. Out total cost for both replacements was $100.00. The second Whirlpool failed 21 days after the factory warranty expired. We had a local appliance company do the whole job - remove and dispose of old washer and install the new washer. Their total price for the second washer was a little over $1,200.

By the way, the LG does a much better job than any of the Splindite washers we have had in the past.

Good luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Our Splendide is 14 years old and all I have done is replace the pump once.

Spendide has excellent customer service and when I replace this one, it will be with another Splendide.

Just make sure you get a vented model
The Splendide in our coach was replaced at 14 years. Not that it was bad, but previous owners found a brand new "scratch 'n dent" Splendide for a price they couldn't pass up. I still haven't found the "scratch".

Ditto on the vented model. I don't think you will be happy with the ventless model. Also, read the manual, there is a required filter/strainer periodic cleaning that, if not done, will make you unhappy!

Wouldn't be without one. Not sure on stacker units, they have the option of drying while washing the 2nd load, but I don't have any experience with them . . . .I try not to advise people when I'm clueless on the advice! . . . Not always the case on this forum!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
After two of the Whirlpool washers failed, we replaced them with the 24 inch LG -- great machine. It is quieter, better balanced, and cleans better than the Whirlpool. We also have the larger LG at home and it is great.

The 24 inch LG is a little larger than the Whirlpool, and in our 2007 Kountry Star, we had to remove the doors at the washer. That wasn't an issue for us.

Both Whirlpool washers were replaced using our extended warranty. Out total cost for both replacements was $100.00. The second Whirlpool failed 21 days after the factory warranty expired. We had a local appliance company do the whole job - remove and dispose of old washer and install the new washer. Their total price for the second washer was a little over $1,200.

By the way, the LG does a much better job than any of the Splindite washers we have had in the past.

Good luck!
Wil
Thanks Wil,

I think that's the plan then. I will have to remove the refrigerator doors and possibly the passenger seat and front door grab bar...but otherwise it looks pretty straight forward. When you say you removed the doors, I assume that you mean the closet doors in front of the machine(s). I am curious, were they interfering or would they not close? It looks like I have adequate room to accommodate the LG and keep the doors (Assuming the specs are correct!! Which is ALWAYS a gamble!).

Thanks!,
Bruce
BruceSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have the Ariston stacked units in our rig. Won't know how well they work till we use them!
And ours is one of the few rigs with a 220 volt dryer so hove be on a 50 amp RV service or run the gen set.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceSFL View Post
Thanks Wil,

I think that's the plan then. I will have to remove the refrigerator doors and possibly the passenger seat and front door grab bar...but otherwise it looks pretty straight forward. When you say you removed the doors, I assume that you mean the closet doors in front of the machine(s). I am curious, were they interfering or would they not close? It looks like I have adequate room to accommodate the LG and keep the doors (Assuming the specs are correct!! Which is ALWAYS a gamble!).

Thanks!,
Bruce
The front to back dimension of the LG is greater than the Whirlpool. After installing the LG, the closet door would not close. If it did, it would interfere with the detergent disposing drawer -- the Whirlpool was close to doing that also.

Our Whirlpool was installed on a pan to catch any water from the washer - it had no way of working for that purpse. That had to come out to allow for the height of the LG. That pan was not necessary and contributed to the vibration of the washer on spin cycle. We are more than pleased with the whole thing. LG warned about putting anything under the washer.

Good Luck!
Wil
Old 03-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #10

Since we don't full time, I'd say the last thing on our RV list was a washer dryer. But since the Dicovery 40G we bought already had one installed, there was no decision to be made. It's a Whirlpool front load W/D pair. The dryer (vented) is great for drying towels. We've used the washer twice now, seemed to work fine both times (our unit was 18 months old when we bought it, no telling how many times the previous owners used it). The washer really bounces up and down during spin cycle. I have to imagine that will take a toll after a while. But so far, so good. Only thing I've noticed is when we use the little detergent "pods", they seem to always work themselves up to the front of the door and get stuck between the rubber gasket and the clear plastic of the door. But like I said, we're not full timers so even if it breaks I don't care very much. Imagine our extended warrantee will take care of it.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Since we don't full time, I'd say the last thing on our RV list was a washer dryer. But since the Dicovery 40G we bought already had one installed, there was no decision to be made. It's a Whirlpool front load W/D pair. The dryer (vented) is great for drying towels. We've used the washer twice now, seemed to work fine both times (our unit was 18 months old when we bought it, no telling how many times the previous owners used it). The washer really bounces up and down during spin cycle. I have to imagine that will take a toll after a while. But so far, so good. Only thing I've noticed is when we use the little detergent "pods", they seem to always work themselves up to the front of the door and get stuck between the rubber gasket and the clear plastic of the door. But like I said, we're not full timers so even if it breaks I don't care very much. Imagine our extended warrantee will take care of it.
That matches my experience so far with the Whirlpool washer & dryer in my Ventana. I do not full-time either, but have run about a dozen loads through both and they seem to do all right. Have only had a detergent pod get stuck once so far though, and it eventually worked its way back into the basket. Agreed on the spin cycle bounce - the first time I used the washer I thought it was an earthquake the way it shook the coach.

Based on my experience to date, if my washer died I'd be inclined to just get whatever was the current version of the model I have.
PantherJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherJeep View Post
Based on my experience to date, if my washer died I'd be inclined to just get whatever was the current version of the model I have.
If it is the Whirlpool, you'll be out of luck because it is not in production anymore. There is no Whirlpool replacement.

Good Luck!
Wil
Old 03-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #13

Our 2000 Dutch Star had the Sears stackable washer and dryer. We just traded our Dutchess in and they both still worked like a charm at 16 years old. Very well made. Will have the Whirlpool stackable in our new Ventana LE. Hope they are just as good! Not very happy reading reviews of them here!
Candy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Girl View Post
Our 2000 Dutch Star had the Sears stackable washer and dryer. We just traded our Dutchess in and they both still worked like a charm at 16 years old. Very well made. Will have the Whirlpool stackable in our new Ventana LE. Hope they are just as good! Not very happy reading reviews of them here!
In our experience the reviews are right on. This is the worst washing machine I have ever owned! The second failed after less than 20 wash cycles.

Also note that there is a drain pump that needs service from time to time. There are no instructions in the manual about it and no obvious way to get to it. It's really a bad deal.

Good Luck!
Wil