Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2019, 06:33 PM   #1

Beware - Blind Spot is REAL and DANGEROUS

I am interested in learning if others have had a similar experience as I had this past weekend....I was traveling on a three lane interstate in the middle lane. I needed to move to the far right lane to exit the interstate. Before merging into the right lane I looked at the left and right side mirrors. I looked at the rear view camera. Lastly I turned on my blinker signaling my intention to merge right and again I looked at the camera showing the view down the right side of the coach. I saw no other vehicle at any time near me so I proceeded to merge into the right lane. Much to my surprise I immediately heard a loud noise. I first thought I had experienced a front tire blow out but my next thought was I have bumped into another vehicle. I pulled over to the side of the interstate to determine what had happened. I exited the coach and saw that the front right side of the front cap was damaged and the front tire was not flat. I also saw a car pulling up behind me....you guessed it, this was the car I had just bumped into. I was truly shocked. I am and was during this event very cognizant of my surroundings. At no time did I see the other car until it pulled up behind me. I was somewhat aware of the potential passenger blind spot on the front right side but in this incident it caught me totally by surprise, now I know IT IS REAL. Thankfully no one was injured and both vehicles can and will be repaired. I'm now looking for an effective way to eliminate this blind spot. I've seen examples of using a fresnel lens mounted on the door window. My question is do these resolve the blind spot and if not what is an effective solution.
wam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2019, 06:39 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I’ve had one close call where they honked. It is a very concerning area. It is absolutely imperative to have your mirrors aligned properly including the lower wide angle one. A combination of cross check of the cameras mirrors and awareness are vital. Using the rear view prior to the blinker coming on shifting the camera to a smaller view is key as well.

Those that have and those that will applies here.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Of the hundreds of semi trucks going down the highway I don't think I have ever seen a truck with a fancy triple mirror like motor homes have. I have them and I really don't like them. Why do we have these other than the fact they are shiny (and very expensive), why wouldn't a simple "West Coast" mirror with a small convex mirror work just as good. Instead of having to decipher three views at the same time, you have just one picture to deal with. Have you ever noticed the small convex mirror mounted above the passenger door on a semi that's pointed down? It's to check that right front blind spot.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I’ve had one close call where they honked. It is a very concerning area. It is absolutely imperative to have your mirrors aligned properly including the lower wide angle one. A combination of cross check of the cameras mirrors and awareness are vital. Using the rear view prior to the blinker coming on shifting the camera to a smaller view is key as well.

Very good post, Neal. Mirror alignment is critical, as is cross-checking them with the side cameras.

Every time I get behind the wheel, I check the mirrors carefully. Just a little bit different seat position can change what you see in the mirrors. Once underway, I try to immediately watch traffic along both sides to ensure that I can see the full transition of a vehicle from the large mirror to the lower, wide-angle one. I try to get things set so that I see vehicles alongside me throughout the transition from one mirror to the other.

Sorry that the OP had this incident, but thankful that no one was hurt. Metal, fiberglass, etc. can be fixed a whole lot easier than flesh and bones.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
Of the hundreds of semi trucks going down the highway I don't think I have ever seen a truck with a fancy triple mirror like motor homes have. I have them and I really don't like them. Why do we have these other than the fact they are shiny (and very expensive), why wouldn't a simple "West Coast" mirror with a small convex mirror work just as good. Instead of having to decipher three views at the same time, you have just one picture to deal with. Have you ever noticed the small convex mirror mounted above the passenger door on a semi that's pointed down? It's to check that right front blind spot.

I have notified that every semi has this mirror attached to the passenger door. Is this something one could add to your motorhome door?
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:19 PM   #6

I have a fresnel lens and it has proved itself to be worth its weight in gold. Especially when a rookie driver doesn't know how to merge into faster traffic on the freeway and camps in your blind spot until he starts running out of acceleration lane. Also good for detecting the jerks who use your right turn signal as their clue to floor it to pass you on the right to beat you to the exit lane or turn lane.
It is a very valuable supplement to the camera and the flat and convex mirrors.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190423_163949250.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	265265
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mirror alignment is key. I have my lower wide angle adjusted to barely overlap with the larger mirror.

It is crucial to know what you can see and more importantly where you cannot see. The blind spot I have is large enough for a motorcycle to hide out just in front of the passenger door.

You get a constant chance to test and learn blind spots as you pass cars or allow them to pass you.

My cameras are nice, especially the 360, but I don't rely on them.

I have had several close calls, and agree with the OP that it can happen to anyone.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:33 PM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
I have notified that every semi has this mirror attached to the passenger door. Is this something one could add to your motorhome door?
They are called "look-down mirrors." Not sure how easy it would be to install on a coach, but it would certainly help eliminate a major blind spot. I had forgotten about look-down mirrors.

TJ
Old 10-29-2019, 07:39 PM   #9
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
If you have a co-pilot they are an essential part of changing lanes. I don’t change to a right lane without an all clear. If you don’t have a co-pilot, pick up a hitch-hiker. The ones with shiny axes are the most observant.

Also when the right blinker goes on I do not change lanes for at least 5 seconds.

Also, mirror adjustment is essential. Too many people have their wide mirror too high. Check out the RV geeks YouTube on mirrors. BTW I am NOT saying the OP did not have his/her/it/or other did not have their mirrors perfectly adjusted. They are the patron saints of mirror adjustment. That is my firm belief!

Then there are the other drivers out there that believe they are “special”. The ones when you are doing the speed limit (how dare you) and they are 100 yards back in the right lane. You turn on the turn signal and wait 5 seconds. When you start your lane change they have sped up and are right next to you. These folks live by having their hand on the horn all the time. When you start to move they will honk. I like to acknowledge their obvious superiority by saluting them with an air horn as they pass. Polite and helps sell more tide detergent. Disclaimer: I am not a representative of who ever produces tide and am not compensated for endorsing them.

I am amazed the OP, if they were as careful as I am devoutly sure they were, still hit the other driver. I can only assume the other driver was so occupied with other things, belly buttons are hypnotic, they just hit the OP. Maybe a good recording camera would help law enforcement [emoji6].

Stuff happens, be safe out there. Safety Notice: humor was used throughout this post.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
I have a fresnel lens and it has proved itself to be worth its weight in gold. Especially when a rookie driver doesn't know how to merge into faster traffic on the freeway and camps in your blind spot until he starts running out of acceleration lane. Also good for detecting the jerks who use your right turn signal as their clue to floor it to pass you on the right to beat you to the exit lane or turn lane.
It is a very valuable supplement to the camera and the flat and convex mirrors.Attachment 265265

So that lens just sticks to the glass? I will check it out!
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:51 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post

Neal , I agree. I have found on my first trip with this DP that I have adjusted the mirrors minor amounts each day as people are hiding in what should be plain sight. My wife is pretty good about protecting her side as we need it to get out
That bottom mirror is good but not perfect.

Terry & Pat
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:34 PM   #12
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH View Post
If you have a co-pilot they are an essential part of changing lanes. I don’t change to a right lane without an all clear.
Good point about the value of a co-pilot. I like to refer to mine as the "co-driver" because we both actively participate in the operation of the coach at all times. And, I am especially fortunate to have a very qualified "co-driver," so I wind up in the "second seat" about half the time.

Having a second set of eyes on the road is a major plus.

As for the air horn "salute, we have nicknamed our air horns "Beulah and Buzz." And, when B&B sound off, some very interesting things frequently occur...including the Tide events previously mentioned. One sweet young thing that cut us off recently, going from the center lane across three lanes and onto an exit on I-5 in Oregon was immediately in the market for new "underthings."

TJ
Old 10-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #13

JMH said:
"If you have a co-pilot they are an essential part of changing lanes. I don’t change to a right lane without an all clear."
(the app on my phone is uncooperative tonight)
Nor do I. Something I learned flying airliners is the First Officer in the right seat is responsible for informing the Captain who is maneuvering the aircraft on the ground while taxiing whether or not there are any aircraft, vehicles or other obstructions the Captain can't see on the right side of the aircraft.
It took awhile but my DW is now real good at saying "clear right" whenever we are approaching a railroad crossing or pulling out into traffic from a cross street or parking lot. Like many pilots she sometimes says "clear right" before she actually looks so I have to remind her how important it is to not get complacent.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
They are called "look-down mirrors." Not sure how easy it would be to install on a coach, but it would certainly help eliminate a major blind spot. I had forgotten about look-down mirrors.

TJ

Also called “over the door” mirrors. Saw some on amazon but not nice looking like the black molded ones on most newer semi trucks. Seems like a possible option if they ar available from a truck shop.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote