Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
Agree! In 3+ lanes in a congested area or city, I'm going to remain guilty of driving one lane over from the far right. 2 lanes and I'll be to the right.
Me too! In moderate to heavy traffic it's often safer for any kind of big rig to minimize lane changes by staying a lane away from the right lane and people who have no idea how to legally and safely merge with right lane traffic who DO have the right-of-way.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2019, 07:13 AM   #170

Words of Wisdom - Maybe

Way back in the day, my Dad imparted his 'Words of Wisdom" as I was learning to drive. Things like:

Situational Awareness - You should know where every vehicle is around you. Unless you have someone merging or very heavy traffic, nobody should be able to sneak up on you. If they do, then you are spending too much time looking straight out the windshield.

When merging, if the driver behind you has to hit their brakes, you obviously did not merge properly (sometimes this can't be avoided)

Scan your gauges frequently - Oil Pressure, Engine Temp, Tranny Temp, you should be able to pick up on a change before the idiot light goes off.

When driving in the mountains, if you pass that trucker on the way up, be aware that he will be the one on you a$$ on the way down.

I choose to stay in the middle lane for a few reasons:

It gets me out of the mix of idiot that decides to exit at the last minute.
I don't have to deal with people that don't know how to merge.
It gives me more outs if something happens in front of me. (I do not consider the right shoulder a good escape route unless I have no other choice)

On a two lane road, I will pretty much stay to the right unless I need to pass someone, and then back in the right lane.

Just my thoughts, Yours may be different.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
Way back in the day, my Dad imparted his 'Words of Wisdom" as I was learning to drive. Things like:

Situational Awareness - You should know where every vehicle is around you. Unless you have someone merging or very heavy traffic, nobody should be able to sneak up on you. If they do, then you are spending too much time looking straight out the windshield.

When merging, if the driver behind you has to hit their brakes, you obviously did not merge properly (sometimes this can't be avoided)

Scan your gauges frequently - Oil Pressure, Engine Temp, Tranny Temp, you should be able to pick up on a change before the idiot light goes off.

When driving in the mountains, if you pass that trucker on the way up, be aware that he will be the one on you a$$ on the way down.

I choose to stay in the middle lane for a few reasons:

It gets me out of the mix of idiot that decides to exit at the last minute.
I don't have to deal with people that don't know how to merge.
It gives me more outs if something happens in front of me. (I do not consider the right shoulder a good escape route unless I have no other choice)

On a two lane road, I will pretty much stay to the right unless I need to pass someone, and then back in the right lane.

Just my thoughts, Yours may be different.

Wow! Did your dad teach my driving class? All the same info.
Basically your eyes shouldn’t be in the same spot for more than 10 seconds.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #172
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Basically your eyes shouldn’t be in the same spot for more than 10 seconds.

Unless you're changing the radio station, making a phone call, texting, eating a sandwich, etc...
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #173

Stay in the middle lane in congested areas. We almost had a bad accident when a chivalrous but stupid driver stopped in the right lane on a busy interstate because there was a timid driver hesitant to merge on the freeway. We could not get over.

Nothing good happens in the far right lane. Had to lay on the air horns which thankfully woke the driver out of his stupor.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:30 PM   #174
NXR

As i taught my kids, I hope: If you see a red light or brake lights in front of you, take your **** foot off the gas pedal!

Why people, including adults, feel the need to accelerate towards stopped traffic is beyond me.

Ray