Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2019, 07:11 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by taratiffin View Post
UPDATE: Problem solved I hope.
Got a call from the dealer this afternoon and said my problem was fixed. They said I had a bad battery(3 months old). I asked them about all the weird electrical things and they said without a good battery this could happen. I also asked them about the problems with the turbo 4 and was told that that was not my problem. Just hope my problems are solved. Still have another month out west.
I was gonna' say that our 2011 did the same thing. A bad battery had lights flashing, bells dinging and things turning themselves off an on without me doing anything more than attempting to start it.

Apparently, the TIPM they use is very sensitive to low voltage.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2019, 07:52 PM   #58

Battery Charger

This is what we use. Have not had any issue towing a 2013 JKUR.

https://rvibrake.com/collections/sho...13115309260823
Old 08-29-2019, 10:28 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
I'm still trying to understand the attraction of Jeep as daily driver vehicles.

Off road? Yeah, I get it.
All the facts back up your quote; poor gas milage, not the most comfortable, radio is hard to hear on freeway. . . but I sure do smile every time I get in to drive. I guess it just can't be explained. It is "A Jeep Thing".
Halestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:36 PM   #60

To the OP, a bad battery on my wrangler (I know, different year) kept triggering engine codes. Put in a new battery and no more issues. Hopefully, that's all it is. I carry a voltage meter when I'm towing now to make sure I'm not slowly draining my battery even though my brake system does trickle charge the battery.
Halestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:53 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Many dead batteries can be avoided by running a charge line from the MH to the toad. It's easy to do and not expensive. Mine is in the wiring harness. When I plug in the charge line is hot.
I'll second that. Been doing it that way for many years and never had a dead battery. The pin at the 1 O'clock position on the RV's 7 pin plug is the RV charging circuit that I connected directly to my toad battery positive terminal. No need for separate Chargers or voltage regulators (IMO) because the RV's charging system takes care of all that. Disclosure: I'm not an electrician by trade, but do have 23 years of USAF aircraft maintenence experience. Larry 2014 Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:04 AM   #62

Quote:
Would you guys who don't have an idea please refrain. I have been towing now for 15 years and this has nothing to do with towing. When I jump started the jeep the windshield wipers would come on even though they were turned off. The power windows would not work. The anti lock brake warning was flashing. The traction control warning was flashing. The dealer said they were having problems with the new tubo 4. They told me they have one that has been in the shop for 3 weeks and they can't figure out what to do. I was posting to warn other people of the problem with the new turbo 4.
Then be more specific in your OP. How could we tell whether or not you were just PO'd at your purchase of a defective Jeep or whether you were asking for advice?

Gene & Jeanette
2015 Thor 36.1 DP
2016 Jeep Wrangler (no problems towing)
Old 08-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbales View Post
Then be more specific in your OP. How could we tell whether or not you were just PO'd at your purchase of a defective Jeep or whether you were asking for advice?

Gene & Jeanette
2015 Thor 36.1 DP
2016 Jeep Wrangler (no problems towing)
Funny... the definition of the word beware is "used to warn someone to be very careful about something or someone." Also, there wasn't a question mark anywhere in her post!
FiveDayNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:45 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall69 View Post
For all the people that are offering suggestions, stories of similar issues, ideas, thoughts, helpful hints, things to try, concerns, we collectively apologize. Better yet how about you just don't post anything here because inevitably you will get comments. The best way not to be offended, confused, irritated, is to NOT POST. do we have a deal?
Well, as a newbie. This post makes me think some have very soft feelings.
Just go along and try not to vent back or correct every little mistake or pet peeve you may have. All, (myself especially) may not have all the answers like some may think they have.
This is why I have few posts. I've only worked in the automotive, Heavy Truck and Hydraulics trade for 40 years before retiring last year. So, I read a lot, listen to the Experts here... and take in things with a grain of salt, and proceed. I signed on here to Learn and Help when possible.
Just my 2 cents.
Let the bashing begin....
PaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #65

The new 48v electrical system on the Jeep in question is a whole new design to consider when towing. All our old towing experiences may or may not apply any more.

I towed my 2010 Wrangler all over the country, never had an issue of any sort. Other than the fact I really liked driving it, not much relevant to this thread as the electrical system was very basic in that model.

Traded to a Cherokee Trailhawk cause the wife was having issues getting in and out of the Wrangler (after knee and hip replacement, and back surgery). Again not relevant to this thread accept for this thought.

I knew the Cherokee has many more computer controlled items in the vehicle than the old Wrangler, and I wanted to totally isolate my towing electrical from the Cherokee electrical. So I wired in a quick disconnect, magnetic mount rear lighting and wiring for the Cherokee, that would hook to the RV, without interfacing with the new computer systems at all.

As expected, no issues at all, other than dealing with the specific procedure to put the transaxle into neutral mode. My Brake Buddy unit is wired to the Jeep's 12v system, but draws so little power, I did not install the RV to Jeep battery charging unit. So far, two years of towing, no problems.

But as electrical systems on newer vehicles get more and more sophisticated, our old ideas on towing connections can not be taken for granted, and will have to change as well.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:12 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
I towed my 2010 Wrangler all over the country, never had an issue of any sort. Other than the fact I really liked driving it, not much relevant to this thread as the electrical system was very basic in that model.
Not really. It still has the TIPM that they started using in 2007-2008.

Now my '95 YJ, that's a basic electrical system!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:56 AM   #67

Does the OP know for a fact that his toad battery is not being charged when going down the road? And, if not, does the OP know that his issue is caused only by Jeep's faulty electrical system, or could the uncharged dead battery caused by a poor toad-RV electrical design be a contributing factor? A continuously charged toad battery may solve the immediate problem; as testified by the OP that frequent starting/charging did just that. Set it up so the toad battery is being charged while being towed and the immediate problem should be solved as the OP has already demonstrated. Even after Jeep fixes their problem, a dead toad battery will still be a problem if it's not being charged. Larry 2014 Reyo P W/23 years of USAF aircraft maintenance exprience.
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:07 PM   #68

I bought a trailer wiring kit, came with 20’ wire, ran the wire from the DP all the way back to the trailer light plug on the Jeep. Now I just plug them both in.
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #69

Final update:
Just to let you know, I have been on the road for another 10 days now after replacing the battery. I guess the info that the dealer gave me about the trouble with the new turbo four was not my problem. I have towed it and driven it every day with no problems. Guess I got a bad battery from the build date.
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #70
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Guess I got a bad battery from the build date.
It does happen on occasion and, since most vehicle manufacturers don't install premium batteries in the first place, the likelihood of a battery going south early on is increased. Glad you got everything fixed and working properly.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow