Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

Bike rack experience ??

When we travel places where we can use our bicycles, we add them onto the Jeep with a hitch bike rack. This makes access to the back of the Jeep impossible without removing the bikes and hitch rack. I have seen some people put a double hitch on the back of the coach, and put the bikes above the tow bar. I have been concerned about the engine heat baking the bikes and accelerating the age of the bike parts, especially since one is an ebike.

Thoughts and opinions, as we have some long trips planned, and are debating about if we take them with us, or leave them at home.

Full timers don’t have that option so I am guessing I am not the first with trying to optimize this issue.
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We did exactly what you are asking about last week for our new ebikes. I never really thought about heat but, can't imagine it to be a problem with the bikes since there is space between the coach and the bikes. When we were going down the highway I was watching the cover on the bike to see if it was betting blasted by the wind. The cover did blow a bit, nothing like I thought it would. This tells me there is enough air movement to deal with the heat of the engine.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #3

7 years and over 100,000 miles with 4 carbon fiber bikes and no issues.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3289.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	242825
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Which bike rack are you considering? I’ve been looking at the Hollywood and 1up racks $$$
Soniccruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We have a Hollywood Fat Tire bike rack for our two e-bikes and we use it on our Jeep GC. While not easy (mostly because the e-bikes are very heavy) access to the trunk is possible. I can tilt the rack down for access to the trunk. It does take two people though to do this - one person has to hold on to the bikes.
Having the bikes on the back of the coach would not do us any good, as we need the bikes to either access hiking trails or use them as a shuttle for through hikes.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I see that Hollywood says not to use behind a towed vehicle.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Swagman Dispatch 2 Bike Rack that is made for RV use. It is hitch mounted and very well built. I'm very happy with how our two bikes ride in it on the MH. No flopping around of the bikes at all and very easy to get a bike cover over both bikes. I know Swagman also makes a similar model for e-bikes. Might want to give it a look.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soniccruzer View Post
I see that Hollywood says not to use behind a towed vehicle.
I've read several threads about this issue and the consensus seems to be that this is a CYA thing on the part of the rack manufacturers, citing the additional force of the swinging of the towed vehicle. It's not unique to Hollywood and most of those posting on the threads say that they haven't experienced any problems.

Here's an example:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f250/rv-b...ks-306469.html
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #9

Bike rack experience ??

We currently have a Thule easy fold XT Electric Bike Platform. We got this due to the high weight capacity. We currently only have one ebike, but I am told I may eventually get old!
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There seems to be another thread about mounting a bike rack on the hitch of a DP. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436190). Might be useful to your data gathering.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
I have a Swagman Dispatch 2 Bike Rack that is made for RV use. It is hitch mounted and very well built. I'm very happy with how our two bikes ride in it on the MH. No flopping around of the bikes at all and very easy to get a bike cover over both bikes. I know Swagman also makes a similar model for e-bikes. Might want to give it a look.

Ok great I’ll check it out
Thanks
Old 04-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #12

I bought a dual adapter for our hitch intending to add a bike rack on top and the tow vehicle on the bottom. I couldn’t get the adapter to seat solidly even with a hitch tightener so I abandoned the idea (and the bikes).

I saw a coach where they added another 2” receiver next to the original coach receiver (they were side by side) and I’m sure this was a solid/sturdy solution. I like this approach as it allows you to keep the bikes on the coach when using from the campground, but you can move the hitch to the tow vehicle when traveling to a biking area. It also doesn’t change your tow vehicle setup.

In the end, suppose it depends on how you plan to use your bikes.
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:14 PM   #13

Best bike rack

Check out 1UP USA....bike racks. No bouncing around. Easy to take on and off. Folds down easily with optional handle kit. Expensive but worth it.

2013 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
bobwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I've read several threads about this issue and the consensus seems to be that this is a CYA thing on the part of the rack manufacturers, citing the additional force of the swinging of the towed vehicle. It's not unique to Hollywood and most of those posting on the threads say that they haven't experienced any problems.

Here's an example:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f250/rv-b...ks-306469.html
Maybe with other manufacturers, but Hollywood is pretty straightforward, Don't Do It!

Here is a quote from their website regarding use with RVs, trailer,s towed vehicles and not to use their racks:

We have seen 100+ incidents where the consumers/end user has not taken this advice and suffered disastrous results.
We've even had phone calls from consumers who said they read that advice (do not use on a trailer) and ignored it, only to discover a tragic end result.
So . . . don't do it. If you insist on doing it regardless of the above, please use some other companies’ rack.

When a manufacturer says they have had over 100 complete failures then I don't want to use it in this application.

Steve

Tags
bike rack