Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2018, 05:57 AM   #15

Newmar customer service “never heard of that before” is the standard reply to anything you tell them...
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2018, 06:17 AM   #16

This PDF may help - https://ecommerce.cadel.ca/img/media/WEXCO_2012.pdf

Page 17 shows the taper nut and washer - it's an Acorn Nut - so tightening will be limited to depth of threads right?

Didn't read the entire PDF but should help with the understanding if you need to Know.

Good Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:56 AM   #17
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
Newmar customer service “never heard of that before” is the standard reply to anything you tell them...

I believe this is a standard reply for the rv industry as a whole.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:35 PM   #18

Wiper incident

I haven't had the wiper arm come off, but I had the jam nuts to loosen on the transmission that goes through the fiberglass and the wiper arm swung down, off the glass. Both times this happened during a downpour. If it happens again, I think some thread lock will be in order. Anyone experienced this?
32sunsation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32sunsation View Post
I haven't had the wiper arm come off, but I had the jam nuts to loosen on the transmission that goes through the fiberglass and the wiper arm swung down, off the glass. Both times this happened during a downpour. If it happens again, I think some thread lock will be in order. Anyone experienced this?

I had that exactly happen on my '07 Essex. It was the driver side in heavy wet snow. I was on a narrow road with no where to pull over. Had to hang out the window to see to drive. Not fun!

I then used my "Torque The Living Stuff" out of it and it didn't dare move after that. I did end up having the entire wiper system replaced to the newer type at Newmar in Napanee. It required new holes even with body work to fill the old holes. It cost about $1600. They worked flawless after that.
I don't think thread lock would work well as you would have an issue if, or when, it comes loose again.

The "Torque The Living [Mod Edit]" out of it works well and reduces stress!
Old 09-24-2018, 01:09 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
70 foot pounds seems crazy? I had to torque 3/4” bolts to 30 ft pounds and it was lots of force. I’m afraid you can twist off or brake something?
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
70 foot pounds seems crazy? I had to torque 3/4” bolts to 30 ft pounds and it was lots of force. I’m afraid you can twist off or brake something?
Yes, agree. 70 ft/lbs is way too much. Believe the 33-37, thought that still sounds like a lot.
VALou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #22

I had it happen to me on our 2007 Essex when it was 2-3 days old in a heavy rain storm on I-81. Not only heavy rain but also heavy fog.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post

That's the first lesson in Phone Support 101. Doesn't matter who you're calling or what the product or service is, even if they've gotten 298 identical complaints before yours.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishalls View Post
I had the driver side wiper do the same thing in July. Newmar sent me a new wiper arm and the drive (spline) assemble. Both under warranty. 26.5 ft/lbs torque.

This torque seems realistic for a 1/2" nut. I have read many threads suggesting 65 ft lbs. I can say from recent experience when my wiper arm was slipping. I tightened as hard as I could with a wrench to get me to my destination, then I took our my torque wrench after reading several threads saying it should be 65 ft lbs. I can tell you that 65 ft lbs will snap the shaft. I have a new shaft and arm coming from Newmar and their suggested torque is 25-30 Ft Lbs.

Perhaps the torque is 65 on diesel pushers but it's way too high on the F53 models. I will use your 26.5 ft lbs on my new assembly. I wish I had found your post earlier.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:54 AM   #25

One of the things I taught the grasshoppers that worked for me was regarding tightening bolts: "After too tight comes too loose."
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
One of the things I taught the grasshoppers that worked for me was regarding tightening bolts: "After too tight comes too loose."
Agreed…. Unfortunately Grasshoppers believe repeated posts saying 65 lbs torque even when instinctively they know better. The lesson this shade tree learned was to question info on forums and rely on the manufacturer coach specific info.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:05 AM   #27

I think if Newmar knew the correct torque, they would get it right in the first place. 65 ft lb. is not excessive for a 1/2" nut/bolt but I am not sure about the thread strength of the wiper shaft. Mine tolerated 65 lb w/o issue. Because the wiper arm material is softer, it requires several retorques after install for it to seat properly. Should be part of the PDI.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, 65lbs is the torque for the DP's. I doubt the gassers are using the same assembly and probably have a different torque setting. Even more important on the DP's is to do the tightening over a 2-3 day period. The soft metal needs time to seat. I torqued mine to 60lbs, came out the next day, got some movement and torqued to 65 lbs. The third day, I torqued it again to 65 lbs. Even then I got a little movement.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windshield