Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Black Slime clean up

I've been working with the fresh water tank and pump system all day today and now have a pretty good understanding of how it works. The pump would not shut off because the inlet filter screen was totally plugged by black slime from the fresh water tank. Nasty stuff. So, I start the sanitation/clean up process. Cleaned up the pump filter with bleach, and reinstalled. Filled the fresh tank and added the bleach mix, and let it set 5 hr. Then I drained the tank, and got a fair amount of slime out. Refilled the tank and added another bleach mix. I'm going to let it set overnight, and drain it in the morning. I'll refill again with fresh water and bleach mix again before we leave Monday morning for a 300 mi trip Monday. That should slosh it around pretty good, then I'll drain it again in Hattiesburg and see what comes out. I guess I'll just have to keep filling and draining until I quit getting the black slime out. Worst case scenario is I may have to pull the tank. The way its mounted/located, it shouldn't be to big of a job. Hardest part would be getting to the plumbing connections. Hopefully won't have to worry with that. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any pointers or other ideas?
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 12:19 AM   #2

Fill and drain plan is good, I would avoid removing the tank if at all possible. You mite try to find some hydrogen peroxide for at lest one of your refill sessions, depending on the makup of the slime, it could speed up the sanitizing process.

Other wise just keep up the bleach and rinse and it will eventually be ready for use again.

Do you have enough strait pipe to your tank to run a hose into the outlet? I ask because you could also speed the slime up a little by using a wand, the type you use in the black water tank from the drain outlet when you have that straight shot.

Good luck
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:42 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just out of curiosity, where did the black slime come from?
Old 05-08-2016, 12:55 AM   #4

MRT 1111,

I see black slime in my filter each time I change them out.
It's just a combination of mold, algae, and debris that will accumulate naturally in the tanks, and most of us never have an issue with it because we continually use and refill the tanks with fresh chlorinated water all the time.

It's when we let the under treated water sit in our tanks we have a much faster build up and the pump filters clog up with the mess.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:33 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hmmm.... I dunno.... I'm a full-timer (so run a lot of water thru my tank) and have never seen any sort of slime. That would scare me as I use my water for everything (including drinking). I filter the water going in (sediment and carbon elements) and never see anything but some very small hard water crystal type things in my pre-pump filter.

Nothing like troubleshooting to learn a system, eh jt?!?!

Afraid I don't have any better suggestion for cleaning - I like the wand idea!
Old 05-08-2016, 05:44 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Fresh city water sits in my tank for 6 months over the winter in my garage, as I use it from time to time in the garage over the winter. I have never had to clean the pump screen, as the in coming water has to pass through 2 whole house filter's before the tank. I check the pump screen every spring, always clean. Never had any black slime or any type of problem with our water system. Filter's changed in the spring, and system is sanitized. I would think black slime is a sign of bacteria........in the water.
Some good reading/info. http://www.aquatechnw.com/waterproblems.htm
Old 05-08-2016, 06:58 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought the coach a little over a year ago. I did nothing with the tank last year. I guess I assumed it was ok. There was s small amount of water in it and I drained that out when I winterized. This spring I decided to carry some water with us as it's nice for on the road usage. I filled the tank about a third of the way and started learning how the pump works. Then the pump quit pumping and wouldn't shut off. That led me into the black slime mess where I'm at now. I get a lot of it out when I drain the tank and also some amount from the overflow when I overfill. I'll keep working with it. I like the wand idea but not sure how I would ever do that. Just don't have the access to the tank without removing it. I also like the peroxide idea. I'll research that. Have also thought about massive amounts of vinegar. It does s good job of cleaning too. I'd like to just fill with several gallons of bleach and drive sround a while to agitate but Newmars instructions say greater than 50 ppm might damage lines or tank. I just have to keep at it. Eventually I should see the discharge clean up and the pump filter staying clean.

jt
2005 Newmar Kountry Star gas 3742, Workhorse 8.1L w/Allison 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
here is a great video for you to watch You searched for sanitizing fresh water tank - TheRVgeeks
Old 05-08-2016, 07:16 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
...and drive around a while to agitate
Drive it like a race car to really agitate!!!!
Old 05-08-2016, 08:09 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I would fill the tank to overflow with the bleach formula, the "slime" can be growing on the walls or ceiling of the tank (including the overflow piping) one spore last can cause the problem to reoccur in a few days/weeks/months. You have to kill it ALL. Also remember some of those spores got through the pump filter into your piping, so after getting the tank clean be sure to remove any screens on your faucets and then run the bleach solution through all your pipes.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Black Slime clean up

Thereford makes a sanitizing kit. It comes with a detergent and a sanitizer. The sanitizer is quaternary ammonia. It is a popular disinfectant in the food service business. Only drawback is the amount of foam from the detergent. It will require a lot of rinsing to get rid of the foam and detergent. Just another option.

Brad and Bonnie Morgan
2007 Monaco LaPalma
Old 05-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the input. I'm draining it now after sitting overnight and still getting slime out. Ill do another bleach job tomorrow on our trip. I'll drain again Monday night and do some more rinsing. Before we leave to head home I'll add more bleach for the return trip and drain when we get back home.

jt

Old 05-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The sanitizing will eventually work, you may need to clean screens in your faucets & shower and have you been including to water heater during the sanitizing process.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes I have included the water heater although I really don't think it was necessary as we have been using it. I think the real problem is there was no usage and no maintenance on the fresh tank for quite some time. Have no idea if the PO used it at all.

jt