Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2015, 03:55 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Black Tank flush inlet

I've been getting a healthy stream of water pouring out from the black tank flush inlet when disconnecting the hose. It appeared to me that the backflow check valve was malfunctioning.

Upon disassembly, it does not appear as though there is a check valve in the water inlet. That doesn't sound right. I also disassembled the fresh water inlet and it has an obvious check valve. I could swear that I did not have this back flow issue in the past.

I bought new inlets for both, but am wondering if the tank flush is supposed to have a check valve. I know I'm getting old, but am I also going nuts? (maybe that's for a different thread).
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 05:25 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
My line runs from the left side of the coach to the right. When disconnecting the water in that line runs back. My check valve is at the tank, not in the line. When captured once, it was about 3 ounces of water.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:47 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
I had my coach at Newmar a few weeks ago because my black flush would not work. I thought I had the opposite problem as you in thinking my back flow preventer was somehow closed and wouldn't open. The first thing Newmar did was connect a compressed air line to the system then they connected a water hose to the inlet and everything worked ok. The Service Tech thought the sprinkler openings may have been plugged. On my coach he told me the back flow preventer was up under the sink next to the shower. I would have never looked there for it.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:49 AM   #4

Put a shut off valve on black water tank flush and should take care of problem.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi USMCRET,
We have the same coach. I get very little water when disconnecting the water supply from the black tank rinse. I can't help locate where the back flow valve is located. On this line, I've never looked for it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #6

I don't have a Newmar, but on my Thor the anti-syphon air gap is under the bathroom sink and when I disconnect all of the water in the line from the air gap to the connection point runs out. This is expected if the air gap is functioning properly.

David, Heidi, M and Moose(the lab)
2011 Damon Astoria
Pulling an'09 Chevy CrewCab.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
It is normal to have the line empty out when when the hose is disconnected. It is the water between the inlet and the vacuum breaker (anti siphon valve) which is located somewhere inside the coach, above the floor.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:00 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback, guys. It sounds like what I'm experiencing is normal.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank