RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #1

Black tank reading

I have a bath and 1/2 coach with the front bathroom stool with petal flush and back bathroom with electric flush. Electric flush will stop flushing when black tank is 65% full. Is this normal? Front bathroom will flush until you know it is time to drain black tank.

Also after draining black tank and flushing thoroughly, tank monitor shows 30% level. I always add water after draining but 30% is without adding water. We've been parked for fur months so maybe sensors are not clean.

enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyrv View Post
I have a bath and 1/2 coach with the front bathroom stool with petal flush and back bathroom with electric flush. Electric flush will stop flushing when black tank is 65% full. Is this normal? Front bathroom will flush until you know it is time to drain black tank.

Also after draining black tank and flushing thoroughly, tank monitor shows 30% level. I always add water after draining but 30% is without adding water. We've been parked for fur months so maybe sensors are not clean.
My friend has a 2011 Essex and has the same problem as you and he keeps his tanks cleaned religiously. I will be subscribing to this topic, so maybe I can find a solution to this problem..

Old 09-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #3

the sencers on my black tank read 2/3 full, after a lot of cleaning it went to 1/3 full. i read on here how to clean a tank with hard build up. it said to add a bag of cruched ice to the tank after emptying it, and about 2-3 gal. of water and a bit of cleaner, then go for a ride (drive home) and let it scouer the tank and then drain.
my tank now read empty and is realy clean.
kekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #4

Rich,
I had the same flush problem. Newmar had to modify the drain line below the rear toilet. Now it continues to flush and I never get the "red" light. Before the yellow light would come on around the 15-18 gal level.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:05 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
There is a separate independent black water tank monitor for your rear marine style toilet. It is possible that the aluminum sensor tape was installed too low on the side of the tank or the wires may have pulled loose. This can be checked by removing the peg board and looking at wiring and measuring the tape position on side of tank. Newmar can help here on their specs for installation.

But first call Newmar there may be a known problem like Rich says.
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I will che k with Newmar.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The TECMA toilet has two sensors that come with it (or are supposed to) they mount on the black tank,, I am guessing the idiot who installed it got 'em mixed up and your FULL sensor is where your 2/3 sensor belongs.

Easiest way to fix is swap cables at the toilet.

I need to see if they bothered to put one in on mine. And if so find where they hid it, cause it does NOT WORK.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #8

Another thing I just noticed after reading the owners manual on Marine toilet. Green light should be on when tank is less than half full, yellow half full to nearly full, and red when full. I never get green light. Only yellow and then red at 65%.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekker View Post
the sencers on my black tank read 2/3 full, after a lot of cleaning it went to 1/3 full. i read on here how to clean a tank with hard build up. it said to add a bag of cruched ice to the tank after emptying it, and about 2-3 gal. of water and a bit of cleaner, then go for a ride (drive home) and let it scouer the tank and then drain.
my tank now read empty and is realy clean.
Does anyone else have a solution other than this? My black water tank always reads full. I have flushed it many times to no avail - finally decided to live with it.
On the other hand it would be nice for it to work properly. Are there other cleaners which are safe and effective? Do the multidirectional spray nozzles do the job? Any other ideas?
dhwgulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometimes a black tank with hot water in it, driving, will more easily dissolve buildups on the inside. This trick may also be used to help dissolve the dreaded "Hardened, dried pile of _ _ _ _".

Good luck,
Old 08-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #11

Black water tank sensor

We have a 2011 Newmar 3810 gas and have the same problem. Doesn't matter how many times I flush it still reads full after emptying. Like you we finally just live with it. I have been wondering if there is a certain amount of condensation that stays in the tank and the sensors are damp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwgulf View Post
Does anyone else have a solution other than this? My black water tank always reads full. I have flushed it many times to no avail - finally decided to live with it.
On the other hand it would be nice for it to work properly. Are there other cleaners which are safe and effective? Do the multidirectional spray nozzles do the job? Any other ideas?
irvwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't know about other Newmar products, but mine does not have probes into the tanks. It has sensor pads that are glued to the outside of the tanks. Here is a picture of mine, no wonder they didn't read right. one of the leads to one of the pads on the black tank was so badly corroded it had fallen off, and the others in almost the same condition. I ordered new sensor pads from Newmar but have not yet had time to install them. The gray tank looked good and was reading right but I order for all three tanks just in case (total cost of $200)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00562-20130611-1706.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	44855  
Old 08-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, that's what both our 2000 and now 2002 have too. They work just fine if adjusted correctly. If you look at the monitor panel there are very small holes with a "pot" behind them to adjust the level lights with. At least that's they way they have been on our DSDP's but they may have changed it now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I read somewhere to put some warm/hot water in the tank and drop one of those dishwasher soap cubes in there and drive for a while?

sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote