RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Black Tank sensor issue

My Black Tank sensor shows 1/3 after I empty it. I have emptied and filled with the rinse many times now and it still shows 1/3 every time I empty it.

Any ideas?

ssignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
You are NOT the only one !
Siggy

siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssignor View Post
My Black Tank sensor shows 1/3 after I empty it. I have emptied and filled with the rinse many times now and it still shows 1/3 every time I empty it.

Any ideas?
I'm sure you will get a lot of different ideas, but here is what I've been doing over many years of RVing and mine have always worked. When leaving a campsite I put about 3 gallons of water back in after dumping. I put about 3/4 cup of either liquid or powered Calgon and some dish soap in the toilet. If I want to super sanitize it, I put a little bleach in, separately. This seems to slosh around, when traveling and cleans the tank pretty well. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #4

I have done the same for several years after having problems with the accuracy of the sensors and it has worked great. I use about 1/4 cup of dry dishwasher soap and a capful of Downey. If we have been sitting for a while it may take a couple of times after emptying the tanks and the dishwasher and Downey sloshing around for a few hundred miles for it to start reading accurately, again.
nuckels11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #5

We bought our Bay Star last August. Same problem with black & gray tank readings. We bought a water meter to measure the water we use. Our black tank holds 40 gallons & gray 60 gallons .
We usually go 7 days without dumping. Using 60 gallons on the meter. We both shower every day.
iker211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #6

Please donít use bleach. It will kill all the helpful bacteria in your tank and further could ruin someoneís septic biology.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #7

You have a build up on the inside of the tank. I don't have any financial interest in this product but I can tell you after dealing with black and grey tank issues for the first couple of years I owned our motorhome, I tried Happy Campers on the recommendation of a friend.
In six years of using HC, I've never had another issue. Simple, dump and flush the tank, add a few gallons of water. Mix a scoop of HC in the toilet and flush. No messing around with this or that. One scoop per tank and done. Pennies per scoop.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=JEJ9GPAC3U8P
Old 06-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Please don’t use bleach. It will kill all the helpful bacteria in your tank and further could ruin someone’s septic biology.

Huh?
The only black water chemicals that work have Formaldehyde in them.

What helpful bacteria is in black water tanks?

A cup of bleach in in the black water tank will ruin septic tank biology. Where?

When will it ever get into someones septic tank?

I am not chiding here I would really like to know.

Besides, if I dont use bleach, then there will be two of us.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Huh?
The only black water chemicals that work have Formaldehyde in them.

What helpful bacteria is in black water tanks?

A cup of bleach in in the black water tank will ruin septic tank biology. Where?

When will it ever get into someones septic tank?

I am not chiding here I would really like to know.

Besides, if I dont use bleach, then there will be two of us.
Correction,

Happy Campers product definetly does work and it has No formaldehyde. See attached.
The addition of Chlorine to the black tank can produce toxic fumes that could be hazardous. Urine gives off Amonia, mixed with Chlorine, Bad....

:: Happy Campers - Information, Text Title ::
Old 06-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Correction,

Happy Campers product definetly does work and it has No formaldehyde. See attached.
The addition of Chlorine to the black tank can produce toxic fumes that could be hazardous. Urine gives off Amonia, mixed with Chlorine, Bad....

:: Happy Campers - Information, Text Title ::

OK I will try it.

What about chlorine in drinking water? It is usually in a higher concentration than a swimming pool.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
OK I will try it.

What about chlorine in drinking water? It is usually in a higher concentration than a swimming pool.
Chlorine in drinking water is measured in PPM ( Parts per Million) versus say a cupful poured down the toilet into the black tank.....
Also, the concentration in a typical swimming pool is controlled by the person adding the Chlorine. Anybody's guess. Couple kids peeing in a pool is not quite the same ratio as two adults peeing into a 40 gallon black tank with a cup or two of bleach.

Perspective.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #12

The park we are in now has a septic system into which all the RVs dump their tanks. I would not use bleach that could go into it.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:07 PM   #13
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Please donít use bleach. It will kill all the helpful bacteria in your tank and further could ruin someoneís septic biology.
I agree. I find it amusing that some folks do this to "sanitize" the black tank. Come on people, really?
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssignor View Post

Any ideas?
Steve, has this been an issue while camped stationary, or when traveling from one spot to another does it still show 1/3 full when empty?

If you have been sitting in one place for awhile and it is doing that then just travel with about 1/2 tank level. We generally make sure we have some level in both tanks when moving from one destination to another so it bangs around on the sides of the tanks.

Tags
black tank, tank