Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 02:23 PM   #29

[QUOTE=Rvlegaleagle;3785507]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGoldDigger View Post
Just FYI, I retested the fresh tank and our 105 gallon tank has 90 gallons of accessible water. The bottom 11 gallons cannot be pumped or even drained via the low point drain.

Am I missing something here? Thought there was a low drain on the fresh water tank? If you can't pump or drain ALL of your fresh water out how do you winterize it?

Also wondering why you can't use ALL of your fresh water, do they have the line going to the water pump OFF near the bottom of the tank? If so, how far off is it?

The bottom of the holes for the pump and the low point drain are both about 1" from the bottom of the tank. Since the tank is 10" high, 1" is 10% or 10.5 gallons. This 10.5 gallons is below the exit hole, so there is no way to draw that water out.

I'm not sure how to winterize this tank unless the tank can withstand this amount of water freezing.

AzGoldDigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 04:47 PM   #30

Guys let me break it down to a method that works for me.

Water tanks come in small - medium or Large.

They will last for 1-3 days - 3-5 days or 5-10 days.

Black tanks will last twice as long as grey tanks.

So if you keep an eye on your water usage you will know when to DUMP.

I have a large water tank so I dump every 3-5 days never had a problem.

So what does it matter if the gauge works or not? just dump every few days, if you run out of water - more than likely you are over flowing and better dump.

Sorry, I never even knew those gauges were supposed to work. . .

Way too much time and energy worrying about what's in the Tank - Get to a Great area and take a Hike and Post some Pictures.

Sorry but............

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #31
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Arnold - such a party pooper

We just want to know exactly where we are. If you're in a FHU, yeah, what does it matter. Well, to me, I want black to be near full when dumped and I certainly want gray to be equal or better to follow it up. I'm ending a 34 day caravan through the Rockies where we moved about every 2 days. It's nice to know where you are to have the tank levels where you want them for your next stop or should you dump now. It's just tank management which I'm sure is even more critical to boondockers and planning their trip to a dump area when FHU's are not at their secluded destination.

Guess it's like a gas gauge, you just want to know your limits.

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #32

Black Tank - Where is it? Calibrated?

Not sure why busskipper has to write hundreds of words to point out he doesn't give a s**t. I boondock a lot and do care.

Here's a tip. Don't bother reading, or commenting on, threads you don't care about.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:32 PM   #33
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
STOP! Let's keep this on track. Very good info so far here in tank testing, learning about sensors, learning about tank dynamics, etc.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:35 PM   #34

I agree but I'm not going to take s**t from people either. People like that should go to FB
Old 09-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGoldDigger View Post
Not sure why busskipper has to write hundreds of words to point out he doesn't give a s**t. I boondock a lot and do care.

Here's a tip. Don't bother reading, or commenting on, threads you don't care about.
Please Smile, it's just a tank level Gauge - I Boondock better than 50 per sent of the time and Have never had an issue with my Tanks - but I built My Second RV in the 60's before you guys were born (Laugh here) - so just humor us old farts, you'd be surprised, we still can learn something from you young guys, just let us read and contribute, you don't have to agree or get Pi**ed off.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers - will try to contribute more positively for you in the future.

I tried to use those smiley faces to let you Know it was in Fun. Guess you missed that.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:33 PM   #36

Verne, only way to really winterize a fresh tank would be to pump on RV antifreeze. But then, based on the 10% remaining all of the time, it would take a lot of work to get it out.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:19 AM   #37

Agreed. Easy to get antifreeze in, impossible to get it out.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #38

Carl at Newmar confirmed it is ok to let that residual 10 gallons freeze. It must be true since it has been freezing in a lot of coaches whether the owners were aware of it or not.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #39
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I would imagine if it's in a place where expansion is not an issue then water freezing is not a problem. If water freezes in a pipe and expands, the pipe will break. If it's in the bottom/flat of a tank, freezing will do no harm. I guess as long as it's not filling a pipe such as a drain then it's safe, but it sounds like the drain is not on the bottom of the tank but on a side? I haven't checked mine.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #40
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I've finally completed this saga and my config is about as good as you're going to get without installing sensors along side Newmar's. As was pointed out the gray and black tanks are tilted, lower on the wet bay side. I take your word on that. If that is the case the water line will be higher on the wet bay side than the pegboard side. With that said, on my gray and black tanks I installed new sensor strips that are LOWER than the typical center positioning. Keep in mind the water line in a tilted tank, 1/3rd on the wet bay side will be less than 1/3rd on the pegboard side. Attached is a picture where you can see not only did I lower the new sensor (left) but I also put the gap in the sensor strip along the seam in the tank to avoid any problems there. I slightly filed the seam where the sensor strip is adhered to keep the bump out minimal there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sensor.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	177446  

Old 09-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #41
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
24 hours, 2 shave/showers and the gray readings are MUCH better now with the new sensor position. In fact I got a reading after only the shave, then of course the shower. Now it's almost scary to watch haha!

I really wish Garnet Industries would advise people to install based on experience, i.e. have a web page or something that lets you pick your make/model or FAQ's or something...point is, Newmar installs on the pegboard side should be at the BOTTOM of the tank, not centered vertically, and also file down that heinous seam!

Hope this helps someone. Spent far too much on sensor strips from rvupgrades.com at about $100ea for sensor + shipping. But learned a lot, have a better understanding in my tanks, usable capacities, I even let the gray go beyond full to see what happens, yep, the shower is where you overflow, no big deal and nothing to be afraid of. Black shuts off for you but when the Newmar sensor says FULL I now know exactly where it is telling me I am and the time I still have remaining, assuming it just went full.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #42

Its been a while so I just got caught up

My issue was with the "unusable" fresh water was really not because of winterizing although I did mention that too (the water can expand in the tank by rising unlike inside a hose) but because 10 gal of fresh water when boondocking is the difference between a day or two more camping. (can always cheat a little on the grey tank).

The Bay Star 3401 says the fresh water tank is 75 gal which after reading this post really means 65 gals. I think most of you guys have a 100 gal fresh water tank. I am going to the Newmar factor this coming week and will ask them about this issue. Hopefully the 75 gal tank isn't as long as your 100 gal tank Will keep you posted.

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank