RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Blew a Fuse

I was working in the engine compartment when the 12 volt light quit working. First I though it was the bulb, but after replacing it I realized that I must have blown a fuse.

I looked everywhere but I can't find that particular fuse. I looked in the Chassis Battery compartment, the compartment with the power reel and underneath the driver side compartment. Nothing! I thought maybe there's an inline fuse, but I couldn't find it.

I know this is a long shot, but would anyone know where I might find that fuse?

2016 DSDP 4018

Thanks in advance.

Carefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Driver side, basement door, almost under the driver seat are most of your 12v fuses. you can look there. That's my best guess.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:47 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar likes inline fuses and hides them pretty well. Learned that with our '00 and '02 DSDP's.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:46 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Driver side, basement door, almost under the driver seat are most of your 12v fuses. you can look there. That's my best guess.
Thank you for the response.

That was one of the first places I checked without any luck:-)
Old 12-27-2018, 03:48 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Newmar likes inline fuses and hides them pretty well. Learned that with our '00 and '02 DSDP's.
I'm almost certain you're right. I might have to give Newmar a call and see if they can send me the wiring diagram for my coach. I've spent two hours yesterday hunting down that fuse without any success,
Old 12-27-2018, 08:44 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you check Fuse F9...in the half bath fuse panel? Mine is a 20A “basement storage light” fuse.

The 2016 Ventana and DutchStar have basically the same wiring layouts.

Newmar usually places a six page handout that blueprints the fuse/dc breaker locations thru out the coach in the “Black Bag”.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Did you check Fuse F9...in the half bath fuse panel? Mine is a 20A “basement storage light” fuse.

The 2016 Ventana and DutchStar have basically the same wiring layouts.

Newmar usually places a six page handout that blueprints the fuse/dc breaker locations thru out the coach in the “Black Bag”.
I checked every single fuse throughout the coach. They're all good but I have no power to the light. I called Newmar and they don't know either. It must be an inline fuse but they hid it really well. Haven't found it yet.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With the rear radiator...they don't put an engine compartment light on the Ventana.

If all your fuses are good...and you've ruled out the cargo light switch. I would look for spade connectors that have slipped off terminals. They daisychain power to things around the basement, via the bay door switches...and I believe there is a relay somewhere too. A wire slipping off or a loose ground...you've already changed the bulb.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:50 PM   #9

We have had 3 new Newmar's with our current coach being a 18 LA. Both LA and our previous Essex have a lot of 12 volt fuses in the 50AMP cabinet behind a black panel which is held in place with velcro. If you don't look carefully you won't know it's there and would suggest a look if that is the location for the fuse look are having trouble finding. I wrote on the front of the panel all the fuses that were located behind that panel for future usage.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:05 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
We have had 3 new Newmar's with our current coach being a 18 LA. Both LA and our previous Essex have a lot of 12 volt fuses in the 50AMP cabinet behind a black panel which is held in place with velcro. If you don't look carefully you won't know it's there and would suggest a look if that is the location for the fuse look are having trouble finding. I wrote on the front of the panel all the fuses that were located behind that panel for future usage.
Newmar Man
I checked there as well. Believe me, I spent hours chasing that mystery fuse:-) Thank you for the suggestion though. I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
I checked every single fuse throughout the coach. They're all good but I have no power to the light. I called Newmar and they don't know either. It must be an inline fuse but they hid it really well. Haven't found it yet.
How are you checking the fuses to determine if they are good? Not all fuses have a LED that indicates when they are bad. Those that do can sometimes be so dim as to be useless.

And, fuses can fail in such a way as to allow a low-amperage current to still pass through. That makes using a VOM a bit tricky at times.

Sometimes, you can see that the link on a bad fuse is melted...and, sometimes not.

My standard technique is to use a new fuse of the proper amperage as a substitute. In checking a light circuit. A 10A fuse can be used as a temporary check. It is heavy enough to give you a completed circuit and light enough to blow quickly if there is a circuit fault.

As for inline fuses, I have even found them inside a wrapped cable bundle. The wiring guys are Newmar are very creative with where they hide what should be in plain sight.

TJ
Old 12-27-2018, 08:22 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
That's exactly how I checked the fuses today because I didn't trust my eyes. All are good. Btw the light under the hood is linked to the same mystery fuse as the light in the engine department.

So far nothing else seems to be tied to that fuse. Everything else seems to be working just fine.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
That's exactly how I checked the fuses today because I didn't trust my eyes. All are good. Btw the light under the hood is linked to the same mystery fuse as the light in the engine department.

So far nothing else seems to be tied to that fuse. Everything else seems to be working just fine.

Well...if all the other cargo bay lights work, wet bay, electric cord bay, etc... Then I would at least put a voltmeter on the bulb socket with the black probe to chassis ground...to see if it is getting power...if there os power, then I suspect the ground wire came loose. If there is no power, then a power lead came loose, or a relay is malfunctioning. At this point you've checked the easy stuff. Now it will be a true search.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Charlie makes a good point about checking for ground and power. I'd pull the lamps from the front and back light sockets and see if the socket shell has a ground.

That said, since you now have two different lights...apparently on the same circuit...that are not working, it looks pretty much like a hot-lead issue (+12VDC) that would indicate either a fuse or relay failure.

I know from previous experience that Newmar puts some inline fuses up under the dash. You might pull the dash panel loose and take a look under there. Can you trace the power lead from the under-hood light back any distance? Maybe, at least, look for a similar color & size wire exiting opposite from there it disappears from view?

Since you've checked all the fuses (that you've found to date), I'd focus on the possibility of a bad relay. They are a little tricky to troubleshoot and, again, the substitute approach seems to be the best method. One thing you can try...with the under-hood lights switched on is to tap the relay boxes with a screwdriver handle or similar. Then don't need to be hit hard, just jarred a little with a couple of taps. If the lights come on, you know you have a balky relay.

Good luck.

TJ

Tags
fuse