Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #15

Spartan Chassis
Is it directly on the side of the engine block? Most block heaters I've done are the "frost plug" style. Usually you have to drain the system. Sometimes they just screw into the side of the block also. Or there will be a lock nut holding it in. Upload a picture if you can. Sometime you can hook up a wet vac to your radiator and with good timing, usually a second person, once you start to loosen the block heater, turn on the vacuum, and that can hold most of your coolant in. Just have to be quick to have the new block heater to put back in. Some antifreeze will be sucked into the vacuum, so take out the filter. Just need an air tight seal at the radiator cap. use a lot of duct tape.
DIYRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #16

Spartan Chassis
Did some searching... hopefully I'm close, or Ill need more info...

Try this link:
https://www.hotstart.com/assets/Inst...216061-059.pdf

If the link doesn't work, I just searched on google, caterpillar e 3126 block heater.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #17

Block Heater

Ours is a "freeze" plug mount in the side of the block. Auto parts retailers list several sizes and wattage. Anybody know what wattage was used in the CAT e3126 etc?
Jester47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #18

Spartan Chassis
Hopefully someone else has had theirs replaced and knows the wattage. Or do you know what size breaker was tripping when you first found the problem? If its only a 20 amp breaker I would say 1000 watt. Without pulling the frost plug heater out you might not be able to size it up correctly because it has to fit exactly right inside the block. If the heater element comes into contact with any part of the block, it can shorten the life of the heater. Did that link I posted before help at all? Other wise you might have to call your nearest CAT dealer and give them your serial number of the engine and they can give you a part number and pricing. If you know your serial number I can look it up tomorrow and see what I can find.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #19

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester View Post
Ours is a "freeze" plug mount in the side of the block. Auto parts retailers list several sizes and wattage. Anybody know what wattage was used in the CAT e3126 etc?
May be its hidden in your owners manual/brochures?
Old 04-16-2018, 08:28 PM   #20

Block Heater Part

Our engine number is 0CKM58471. Freightliner quoted me $87.31 for a 301F/PSM 3500015. It is a 1000 watt unit.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #21

Spartan Chassis
So called the local CAT dealer here. The parts guy said they can't support the RV coach engine but gave me a number and name of a company that all they do are RV generators.

352-365-2777
Leesburg, FL
https://www.powertechgenerators.com/
You can search their website or talk to Jimmy in parts.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Did you check the cord well. It's just a standard heavy duty cord. On my previous coach, the cord was covered with split wrap and ran alongside the engine plumbing. It wasn't really protected and could easily be damaged.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:14 PM   #23

Got the Block Heater Part

I contacted the Freightliner dealer in Pacific Wa. They had two of them and I pick one up yesterday ($87). Looks like a relatively easy R&R. I'm going to drain the coolant tomorrow and give it a try.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:35 PM   #24

You might check the condition of the power cord first. I have seen the cord melt and arc a little before it quit working, probably from the nut that holds the cord working loose from road bumps.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #25

Can't get the Block Heater out of Block

OK. I drained all of the coolant out of the engine. I loosened the retaining screw as far as I could. I was thinking the block heater would be easy to remove, but it's not budging. I've tried a long screwdriver and hammer to get under the edge but so far no luck. I just sprayed it with WD-40 and letting it soak. Any ideas of how to get this thing out?
Old 04-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #26

Spartan Chassis
wd-40 and wait or if you can get a some channel locks on it and try rotating left and right? Power cord removed, the jam nut should come all the way off. I believe you leave the bushing installed in the engine block. Remember to apply some clean engine oil to the o ring of the heater assembly
Old 04-21-2018, 08:17 PM   #27

Spartan Chassis
Just wondering if your are back up and running? Hope everything went well.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:38 AM   #28

Block Heater Replaced

I tried just about everything. Loosen it with a chisel and hammer, WD-40, drilled a hole.Tapped the hole and put in a bolt to twist it, but it only stripped the threads.Finally called my Mobile Diesel mechanic.He tried all the above again without success.So he got out his acetylene torch and heated it up.One touch with a hammer and it popped off.He recommends not replacing these but adding one to a radiator hose or oil pan.I AGREE!

Tags
heat, heater