Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2019, 04:03 PM   #15

Used them many times, great results. I just tell them to only brush the windshield.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #16

Have used them many times. Always pay extra for the RainEx rinse. In the past was good but not as great as a hand wash. Last time I used them was in York NE. This location was the worst was I have ever had.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Likely too late to add a ton of value. I am sure by now you walked over and watched them for a bit.

I have gone twice and will continue to do so when it is convenient and necessary.

These guys did a nice video of their experience. Watching it will put you in the drivers seat for a near first person experience. Enjoy..
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:15 AM   #18

Ok, I can’t not respond. I try, but have to point out a few things.

First, where they are washing their own rig.

Notice how the guy with the long handle is washing up and down, like he’s scrubbing the kitchen floor? Wrong answer.

Be GENTLE. Wash (and dry) horizontal as much as possible. I know it’s harder, but any horizontal micro scratches imparted into the paint are much less noticeable than vertical; and yes it’s impossible to dry all the upper horizontally from the ground but be GENTLE and then go horizontal as soon as you can reach. Be GENTLE when washing; why he keeps scrubbing up and down, over and over the same area is simply ridiculous. All it should take is one wipe over any area, and a lot of rinsing your mitts with clean water to get the dirt and grit out. He’s just dragging grit up and down, driving it into the paint.

The guy washing the wheels is using the same wash bucket as the guy washing the sides. :banghead.

At the Blue Beacon, at the very end, you see the a guy take his long handled brush from washing the bottom lip of the front cap, to washing the front of the front cap, dragging dirt and grit onto the front. I have to assume they do this all over because if they didn’t, he’d know better.

They never show a good shot of the paint, so you can see how good or bad the paint actually is. Clean is one thing, even with a fresh wax job, but good paint, with no / minimal micro scratches from improper washing and drying is more than that. There is a big difference, but it’s your expectations that matter, and if your good with it, then that’s all good. And all in all, at a quick glance, their older rig looks better than most, so I’ll give them credit for that.

That’s it, no further detailing pontification. As a side note, it took my wife and I about 3 1/2 hours to wash our coach on Monday, including the roof.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:33 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have had good experiences with Blue Beacon. You can read about a typical visit here:

Homeward Bound (and Spruced)
Old 06-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #20

I fueled up at Pilot, which wasn't busy. I could walk just a few steps and see the inside of the Blue Beacon wash bays across the street. They had a big rig in one side and a motor coach in the other.

I watched for a couple minutes and made my decision.

I wouldn't let them wash my DW's five year old $125.00 bicycle for free.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
I fueled up at Pilot, which wasn't busy. I could walk just a few steps and see the inside of the Blue Beacon wash bays across the street. They had a big rig in one side and a motor coach in the other.

I'm with you on that !
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
Used them many times, great results. I just tell them to only brush the windshield.
Yes sir
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #23
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
I have used them in the past. On rv’s they just use pressure washers. Each location is different though. Go into the office before you get in line and ask how they wash RV. The one in Barstow is excellent. They have a roof wash sprayer and are very gentle on your RV. Best part is you can have the coach hand dried. I think the charge was $20.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #24

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post

Good for you.

I forgot to end my note above with “no one washes any of my vehicles but me, and it’s been that way for over 20 years”.

But, and it’s a big but. As I did note, it’s all about personal expectations, and the reality is, the expectation of most people is (so) low, that anyone with a hose and a bucket probably does a “good job”. I would love to know exactly what is a “good job”, with close up pictures of the vehicle.

Not only that, but for those that do wash their own vehicles, they do no better a job than a car wash or “mobile detailer” or as I like to refer to them as “Two Schumcks with a Truck and a bucket”, well, because that’s their expectation.

At our last trip, I watched with horror the local “Two Schmucks” crew wash / wax many RVs. Talk about scrubbing the kitchen floor and driving filth right back into the surface..... just for fun, I asked the guy who seemed to be in charge, what they happened to applying (wax, polish, etc) to the RV they were working on at the time. He had no clue what they were applying (they were just pouring product from unmarked jugs into unmarked bottles) none, didn’t know if it was wax, polish, sealant, glaze, etc. , and he admittted he had worked for the company for 7 years but didn’t know what products they applied. Really, he had no interest whatsoever as to what he was using in his job for 7 years.

To a great degree, most folks just want clean, cheap and easy, and that’s what makes them happy. If you know what you are looking at, just walk through any parking lot, RV park, even car dealerships and car shows; great paint is simply a rarity.

Just remember, all it takes is one dirty rag, mitt, or brush to do paint damage......

After my spring detailing in March.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6ABA22A3-210E-44AF-AA6F-800D0311985A.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	248501   Click image for larger version

Name:	F7129B02-479C-4DE0-A24C-BEB17E123C4B.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	248502  

Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #25

FWIW

I bring my own boar's hair brushes (two of them) and poles and ask them to use fresh buckets of soap and my brushes only. If they offer drying, I ask them to use my microfiber towels or I do it myself if they dont. If they will not use my equipment, then I ask for a rinse only. So far, it has worked okay. I still see some very minor scratches sometimes and probably from something else I did trying to keep it clean. I use aero cosmetic in between and you have be sure that the coach is clean (dust only) before you use that product or you will get scratches. I did.
2017 Prevost Marathon #1250
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/AF1 and Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow System
Orinda, CA
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #26

We've always washed our vehicles and have done many mini-washes in campgrounds with only a bucket of water - changing it often.

We just don't feel that a place that washes filthy semi trucks would give our RV the care we do. I'd feel that they don't keep their brushes clean after the semi grim and if they use pressure washers they'll put pressure on places that a RV shouldn't have pressure.

I guess we're more particular but everyone is different.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
Agree with redbaron , no brush and NO ACID. I ask them to flush the hose first.

Acid? What's with that?- Paul
Old 06-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Good for you.

I forgot to end my note above with “no one washes any of my vehicles but me,

Just remember, all it takes is one dirty rag, mitt, or brush to do paint damage......

After my spring detailing in March.
Yes Sir, you do have a very nice coach and I do respect your attention to detail.

But, I am so happy that I'm the third owner of a 20 year old coach that wears some battle scars of past adventures by previous owners. Not to say I don't care about the appearance of the old girl because I do in fact I may even go a little overboard (in my world) keeping her looking good. I do wash mine 95% of the time and the other 5% is at a Iowa 80 truck wash.

Bumps, bruises and scratches happen but each one is another story in the travel log.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3588.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	525.8 KB
ID:	248547
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote