Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #1

BluRay or DVR (DVD)

I understand the new Dutch Stars come standard with the BluRay (not sure if it's just a player or also a recorder) but the customer does have the choice of substituting the DVD.

Do many who order their coach new ask for the DVD? BluRay is completely new to me since all my at-home recordings are either VHS tapes or DVD discs so even though the DVD discs are being replaced by Blu Ray I'm wondering if I should do the substitue so I can still watch at either location whatever is recorded at either location.

If BluRay is a recorder on what does it record?

My 2004 coach came with a VHS recorder and DVD player. Do the new DSs have any kind of recorder on board standard if the blu ray does only play?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #2

A BluRay player is a DVD player, it can play both. In fact to only way to tell a BluRay disc from a normal DVD disc is to look for it to say BluRay on it.

No it doesn't record anything. Your thing DVR (digital video recorder), those record to a hard drive. Like your computer does.

BluRay is just a DVD (digital video disk), that's all.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
A BluRay player is a DVD player, it can play both. In fact to only way to tell a BluRay disc from a normal DVD disc is to look for it to say BluRay on it.

No it doesn't record anything. Your thing DVR (digital video recorder), those record to a hard drive. Like your computer does.

BluRay is just a DVD (digital video disk), that's all.
Thanks John.. Not sure I understand your second paragraph. Is there a recorder standard on the DSs? One of the DSs we went through the salesman just pointed out the blu ray in the bedroom drawers but wasn't told about any other player/recorders.

That's great to know that DVD movie dics can be played on the blu ray.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
wagonmaster2 - a BlueRay will play both DVD and BlueRay movies. I think what John was trying to say was you can buy a DVR. If you use Direct TV and ordered the Wineguard lay flat open face dish (not the in motion disk), you can use a DVR that can be provided by the satellite company. I think the Dish network one is called the hopper. But other than those adding a DVR would be on your own.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:18 AM   #5

Yes, what harleychief said.

There is no form of recorder from the factory.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:22 PM   #6

That really sucks. With the machine that came standard on our coach 11 years ago, and using the push button selector we've all used, I can record from Directv when watching it or from cable if connected at the campground outlet.
Can't imagine Newmar just installing a player but not a recorder as expensive as these coachs are. When my coach comes in about 5 months from now I'll probably have to be hollaring at you long time Newmar users to figure out what/where I have to do an installment myself.

Surely there are lots of users out there that need and have installed a recorder for cable or over the air reception.

Thanks for all the information guys, you've certainly been more helpful than what I've gotten by visiting the dealers. I've learned a lot from the Forum about all I'm not getting for my quarter million dollars. Guess this is what I get for being hooked on TV watching so bad.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
That really sucks. With the machine that came standard on our coach 11 years ago, and using the push button selector we've all used, I can record from Directv when watching it or from cable if connected at the campground outlet.
Can't imagine Newmar just installing a player but not a recorder as expensive as these coachs are. When my coach comes in about 5 months from now I'll probably have to be hollaring at you long time Newmar users to figure out what/where I have to do an installment myself.

Surely there are lots of users out there that need and have installed a recorder for cable or over the air reception.

Thanks for all the information guys, you've certainly been more helpful than what I've gotten by visiting the dealers. I've learned a lot from the Forum about all I'm not getting for my quarter million dollars. Guess this is what I get for being hooked on TV watching so bad.
Actually ... not so much. Since the change to digital OTA, 11 year old tuner technology is obsolete. OTA/Digital Cable Clear Channel digital recorders are available but a bit pricey. You will probably need something similar to:

Amazon.com: PrimeDTV PHD-VRX Full HD 1080p Dual Tuner Digital HDTV Recorder, Receiver and Media Center Box: Electronics

BTW, the DirecTV Receiver/Recorder solutions are readily available.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #8

Our satellite receiver has a built in recorder. I haven't tried recording over the air TV in over 10 years.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #9

Wagonmaster when you order your satellite service (assuming DirecTv) you will have an option of getting a DVR. This unit will allow you to record programming from your satellite service. If you want too also record over the air (OTA) programs talk to your installer about an AM21 unit. This is an accessory device that will allow your DVR to record content. Some of DirecTV dvrs are not compatible with the am21 so make sure you are configured properly
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:42 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Our directv dvr in the coach will record any channel that comes through directv...
and all local channels are usually included in the packages, so never need to record over the air....

Good thing is that the dvr recordings on the Living room dvr are watchable in the bedroom too...

One really great thing fro rv's is both direct and dish both have wireless receivers now so installation in an rv is MANY times easier than even last years installs
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #11

I've been using the same Directv receiver for several years now in the RV so can you help me figure out how to go about getting the newer receivers that will record also?
If I'd call Directv do you suppose since I'm a current user they'd do some kind of an exchange for the newer receiver or DVR? All their ads refer to "new customers" but nothing about helping or suppling the newer equipment to current customers.
Where does the Genie and mini genie enter into all this newer technology, which is so far over my head I'm ashamed to even admit it.
Can anyone guess what I might be charged if they will supply me with one of the newer devices?
Old 11-28-2014, 05:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I've been using the same Directv receiver for several years now in the RV so can you help me figure out how to go about getting the newer receivers that will record also?
If I'd call Directv do you suppose since I'm a current user they'd do some kind of an exchange for the newer receiver or DVR? All their ads refer to "new customers" but nothing about helping or suppling the newer equipment to current customers.
Where does the Genie and mini genie enter into all this newer technology, which is so far over my head I'm ashamed to even admit it.
Can anyone guess what I might be charged if they will supply me with one of the newer devices?
Call them to find out. When was the last time you upgraded or moved and are you still under a contract? If it has been a while you may be eligible for a free upgrade. What type of dish do you have?

I contacted Directv last week about changing my service address and they offered me a free upgrade. I have been out of a contract for a few years.

Some of the features of the Genie setup will not work on the motorhomes. I have a Genie (HR34) at home that records up to 5 channels at a time. You are supposed to be able to watch these shows on any mini-genie. I just take my H24 with us on our trips. There is a HR24 that will record also.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Call them to find out. What type of dish do you have?
Reuben, as you mentioned, some phone calls are necessary.

From the OP:
"With the machine that came standard on our coach 11 years ago, and using the push button selector we've all used, I can record from Directv when watching it or from cable if connected at the campground outlet."

Technology and services has changed dramatically in 11 years ... all of the systems are quite a departure from 2004 equipment.

Without knowing what is installed in the new RV everything else would be guesswork.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #14

I've been using this same Diectv receiver for several years now without any up grades or changes, only a problem last year that caused them to have to send me a new receiver card. Currently I have my service suspended until next April since I have the coach winterized and don't use it during the winter. i've done this for the last 3-4 years.

Guess I'd better just wait until the new coach comes in but I was just trying to solve some of my up-coming problems a head of time since it usually takes a long time to get new programs in motion.