Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2018, 07:30 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Body damage

Morning all, I grazed a tree going into a campground and looks like some buffing may get the brushing marks off some of the area but the basement door infront of the wetbay and behind the hwt got crushed.

Question is has anyone bought a new door from Newmar or can a reputable body shop rebuild it or does anyone know of a rv boneyard where I might even get a door painted my colors ?

Here's a real toughy, anybody know of an rv body shop in Winnipeg or Grand Forks,Fargo area that does great work ?

Haven't been to insurance yet as we are in Drumheller but trying to arm myself wih some options

Thanks

Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #2

I had a lady sideswipe me a few years back, and the shop that repaired it just reskinned it. The door didn't have to be replaced.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Newmar has replacement doors !
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
I had a lady sideswipe me a few years back, and the shop that repaired it just reskinned it. The door didn't have to be replaced.

+ 1. No recommendations in your area but we’ve had several basement doors repaired at various times by our shop in San Jose Ca. They reskin the door then paint with the original paint codes. Had two done for $1,000 total two years ago.

Pesky poles keep popping up out of nowhere when I’m backing in...
Old 08-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for your input everyone, will look for a shop to do the work now
Old 08-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #6

Post a pic for accurate info. But most any decent body shop can fix most any problem you had. I made my baggage doors out of sheet aluminum skin. If the broken part is fiberglass - that can be fixed too.
If the part is really bad, and parts are missing, then you can order an unpainted part from Newmar, wait weeks for the part to be made (most are NOT in stock) and then the body shop can install and paint. Never a quick or a cheap process, but very normal.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimlimike View Post
Morning all, I grazed a tree going into a campground and looks like some buffing may get the brushing marks off some of the area but the basement door infront of the wetbay and behind the hwt got crushed.

Question is has anyone bought a new door from Newmar or can a reputable body shop rebuild it or does anyone know of a rv boneyard where I might even get a door painted my colors ?

Here's a real toughy, anybody know of an rv body shop in Winnipeg or Grand Forks,Fargo area that does great work ?

Haven't been to insurance yet as we are in Drumheller but trying to arm myself wih some options

Thanks

Mike
If you log into comnet, it should show the materials for your doors. At least on my coach it does. You could probably order a new one that way.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
8 or 9 years ago I destroyed three bin doors. The body shop doing the other minor repairs ordered and got the three doors from Newmar, had a little wait as was told Newmar made doors only on certain days. Wasn’t long but I had to wait until “ door making day”
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #9

had something similar happen, bent in door, told need a new door, only $400, deep gash on the slide about 6 inches, would need some sanding, filler and repaint. Complete paint of door...estimate today was a tad over $11,000. I thought, isn't that about 1/3 of a high end complete coach repaint and we are only talking a door and a gash. Need recommendations for paint and body in the Dallas area that can handle RV.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Body damage

I built replacement doors for my Monaco myself. Monaco was in Chapter 11 at the time so ordering replacement doors from the factory wasn’t an option.

I took two mangled doors to a local sheet metal shop and they used them to get measurements for aluminum sheet metal for the fronts. They easily cut out and bent the sheets to match the door contours. About $100 for each door front.

Then I ordered some aluminum tubing to fit for the frames and some heavy, stiff foam sheets for the backing. They go together with pop rivets and body shop two-sided tape.

I salvaged the hinges, hydraulic stunts, handles and such from the original doors.

My local Chevy body shop guy painted them for free. At the time, I had a fleet of 400 or so pickup trucks and they were all Chevys and a lot of those guys didn’t drive so good.

Once you bang one up, you can tear it apart and you will quickly see how they are made. Really not much to them. Hardest part is working to get the latches to line up right on the install.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:09 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex-racer View Post
had something similar happen, bent in door, told need a new door, only $400, deep gash on the slide about 6 inches, would need some sanding, filler and repaint. Complete paint of door...estimate today was a tad over $11,000. I thought, isn't that about 1/3 of a high end complete coach repaint and we are only talking a door and a gash. Need recommendations for paint and body in the Dallas area that can handle RV.

Not Dallas, but just south of Austin, in Buda, is Aguirrie Paint & Body. They were highly recommended to me by the local Freightliner shop.