Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #29
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Awe shucks. Please. I'm happy to do this for anyone. I know TJ is a special kinda guy but I'd go beyond for anyone here. Getting that first tank of gas through the system is important.
Gas? Neal, the FPU deal is definitely OFF. Nobody is gonna put "gas" in the new MADP! Please note the "DP" at the end...it means "diesel pusher."

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Gas? Neal, the FPU deal is definitely OFF. Nobody is gonna put "gas" in the new MADP! Please note the "DP" at the end...it means "diesel pusher."

TJ
Newmar fills it up at FPU. But my services typically end up on E. So sorry.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #31
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Jim for perspective can you post a picture of the side of the MH
Is this what you are looking for, Stuart? It is the area covered by the blue painter's tape.

TJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2921BF8F-D555-4EC1-89B0-D0D96355BDF4.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	200002  
Old 04-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
TJ's assistant at your service: Click here for post with pic

As always NealThanks for your help, but this doesn’t show me what section we are looking at.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #33
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Stuart:

It is the panel underneath the driver-side window that butts up against the front cap. The seam between the cap and panel is where it separated. Looks like the adhesive just let go. No sign of external damage that could otherwise explain it.

Here's a marked up photo for more clarity. (Just learned how to use the mark-up function...I'm a slow learner).

TJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D7DC1388-B2EA-4EBB-91EC-1CCBC756EDF1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	200034  
Old 04-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #34

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Stuart:

It is the panel underneath the driver-side window that butts up against the front cap. The seam between the cap and panel is where it separated. Looks like the adhesive just let go. No sign of external damage that could otherwise explain it.

Here's a marked up photo for more clarity. (Just learned how to use the mark-up function...I'm a slow learner).

TJ

Thank you that’s very helpful, I always thought there were also screws under the molding, I bet Newmar will step up and help. Would be nice after gluing to hold it in place with a clamp. Like parking near a wall and using an expandable bar, like a cargo load bar to hold it while the glue sets
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #35

On my 2002, there is an aluminum trim that screws to the top of the front cap, through the sidewall, into the aluminum framing behind the sidewall.

There is then a vinyl trim that pops over the aluminum trim to cover the screws.

The vinyl is then body color painted.

Something like that on yours?
Old 04-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #36
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
...I bet Newmar will step up and help.
I certainly hope you are right! Plan A is to work with Newmar customer service to get them to cover it. I won't be shy about mentioning that (a) the Ventana LE has only 23K miles on it and (b) that we have a 2018 Mountain Aire on order for a June delivery. If they do step up, it will probably mean a trip down to Oregon for the repair. That's doable.

Plan B (if Newmar won't cover it) is to try and find a competent local shop to do the work. I've worked with a local RV outfit before on some mechanical things, but no body work. There's also a very good automotive body shop locally that I would trust to do the work...or, to tell me they can't and explain why. A few years back, we dispatched a good-sized deer in the middle of the night with my Ford F-350. Did a bunch of damage to the truck and they made it look new again.

Plan C would be to have the Oregon dealer do the work at my expense...and, I freely don't want to go there.

TJ
Old 04-22-2018, 05:12 PM   #37
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
On my 2002, there is an aluminum trim that screws to the top of the front cap, through the sidewall, into the aluminum framing behind the sidewall.

There is then a vinyl trim that pops over the aluminum trim to cover the screws.

The vinyl is then body color painted.

Something like that on yours?
No evidence of screws. In the photo in my Post #13, you can see into the hole and all that's visible are the strands of adhesive.

The panel is held in place largely by the driver's side window frame. The front edge seam appears to be covered with a plastic trim strip glued in place and edged on both sides with silicone.

It appears that the actual panel pulled away from the structure, taking the plastic trim strip with it. It is bowed out about 3/4" at the center of the separation.

TJ
Old 04-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I would state that you would expect the construction to be an assumed lifetime warranty. This is not a typical failure. I’ve got a 5 on the line that Newmar will take care of this. They stand behind their manufacturing.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:46 PM   #39
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I would state that you would expect the construction to be an assumed lifetime warranty. This is not a typical failure. I’ve got a 5 on the line that Newmar will take care of this. They stand behind their manufacturing.
Izzat "5" Pop Tarts, Neal? If Newmar doesn't come through, I'll take raspberry.

Actually, I'm hoping you are right. Five micro brews on the line when our paths cross if you are.

TJ
Old 04-22-2018, 05:47 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Izzat "5" Pop Tarts, Neal? If Newmar doesn't come through, I'll take raspberry.

Actually, I'm hoping you are right. Five micro brews on the line when our paths cross if you are.

TJ

I haven’t decided. I left it open. I just had steak so I’m too full to discuss food. Give me 30min.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:05 PM   #41
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks, folks, for your encouragement. We're trying to think positive about this. We were on our way to our Montana place for three weeks, so this puts a crimp in those plans...at least, for the moment. If Newmar steps up and can get us into the Oregon dealer's shop quickly, we may only lose a week or so.

We'll keep you all informed.

TJ
Old 04-22-2018, 06:08 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Try to keep it under Mach 1 next time.

Tags
panel, vent, ventana