RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Boomer’s Ventana startup chronology

9/21 - 11:00 AM Dealer called to let me know MH just arrived, if I gave them 2 hours we could come and look at it. DW was getting a little sad about the wait for it, so without telling her it arrived made an excuse about needing to talk to dealer about something. As we were driving up to the dealer, just seconds before she saw it, I told her it was in (didn't need hospital run). When we went in it for the first time we both drew a tear, even with plastic over everything, to us it was a beautiful site. The color scheme (Lagoon with Newport Wood) was never seen by us. Since the dealer wasn't doing the prep till Monday, they gave us the keys and said take you time to look it over or just sit and enjoy.

9/27 - Pickup day. Walk in got the keys and received a very thorough PDI. We had already had a few issues from 9/21 (Slight paint issue on edge of baggage, bottom of kitchen wood work had blemish), oh and apparently Newmar had a safe shortage. Already having a wonderful Canyon Star, only discussed/demonstrated new systems (oasis, Spartan chassis, controls, airing up, macerator stool...). Look over it again and saw a couple more minor things, but since we were bringing it back on Oct 1st to have the lift install, we signed the papers and drove it home to prepare for the Sept 29th tailgate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Delivery Day.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	223150

9/29 - Tailgate (Ohio State vs. Penn State, I know we lost but..) Arrived at field at 8:00 am (for a night game). Our son loaded the outdoor fridge with two 36 packs of beverage and a 24 pack of sparkling beverage, and we had the usual burgers, dogs, pasta salads, breakfast casserole. I wanted to test the AGS system so I set it to 12.0 Volts (Vendor recommends 11.8) turn on 3 tv's 2 sound bars, 2 110V Crockpots and of course both refrigerators were on (Inside and outside). No need for air conditioning so this was a good test. Surprising to me was even with the crockpots running on high (don't know actual draw, wasn't trying to be that exact) the generator didn't kick on for 6 hours, which I thought wasn't bad. Went to the game, got out at 11:30 and now for the fun. Yep stuck in the mud, first lesson about having a tag and heavier vehicle (never got the CS stuck in same area), we had Coach-net with the CS and never used it, but continued with the VTDP, called the number, said they would have tow there in under 30 minutes. One little issue, after the football games are over, all roads are one way out on all lanes. Got a call from tow company and decide to wait till morning. Just grabbed a ride from some friends that were there to home (<5 miles). In the morning the tow driver picked me up and we went to the field where he attached to the VTDP hitch and winched me out like I weight 10 lbs. big tow truck.

Name:	Tailgate.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	223152

10/1 - Took VTDP back to dealer to have golf cart lift put on and some of the minor things fixed. Since we knew the lift was going to have metal fabricated and slight cuts to the rear cap we planned on leaving it there until Thursday Oct 10th. Picked it up on the 10th and went home to pack for extended trip. Due to the extra weight that a golf cart will add, there are some extra steps to folding the lift (which by the way traveled 400+ miles in the folded position) when we leave the golf car will be on it.

Name:	With Lift.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	452.4 KB
ID:	223151

10/12 - Travel day. Only thing to say about driving a Diesel Tag with CD is WONDERFUL. Never complained about driving the CS, only had a couple of wind issues, but driving this is just a pleasure. Don't know if CD really helped that much, but since it handled so well even with wind and truckers passing, I assume it does. Most notable was the quietness of having noisy diesel 40’ behind, the level of comfort air bags provide, and most important to me was the engine brake – all of which just makes this a pleasure to drive. One other note here, if fueling in the diesel lanes at Flying J with their card is extremely painless, even having to wait in line, I swear we were out of there quicker than we ever were at the RV lines (BTW: that was only a few months ago for me).

10/12 – First nights in VTDP and real learning experience.
1. The slinky hookup could have used another inch in diameter, however was able to get Right angle and hose connected.
2. Looked at Gap, put out slides (good idea to connect before slide-outs unless you have better knees than I do).
3. First ‘read the manual moment’ – televator only works if you push the button once and don’t hold it – don’t remember how I forgot it, but spent 15 minutes trying to troubleshoot.
4. Second ‘read the manual moment’ the micro isn’t broken, just bad labeling marking start button as “Add 30 second”
In this first week the only non-functioning thing we found was the BCKLGT button under the bed cabinets just makes the switch backlights blink, need to call Newmar on this one.
Also, noticed that the front of the coach doesn’t change as much from ride height to dumped bags, even did the Auto level button, retract, auto level trick twice. I was always under the assumption that if I dumped the bags with the wheels turned (I know CD will not let that happen) you could hit the tire on the fender, not on this VTDP. Dealer was surprised also.

State College, PA
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #2

Great write up. Thanks for sharing.

Can you carry golf cart and tow jeep at same time?

tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #3

Very nice coach and jeep,congrats.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #4

Bob - Very nice coach and write up. Plus you have already had great adventures! I mean - who goes mudding with their new Ventana right out of the box?
Old 10-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Great write up. Thanks for sharing.

Can you carry golf cart and tow jeep at same time?
Golf cart will lift a few inches above the Jeep hood, but when I unfold the platform it is only 4' wide and sits about 6" - 8" from the coach. There is also about 4' of extension before the tow bar attachment, so I believe (haven't added the golf cart yet) there should be no issue.. Only drawback is can only tow 5000 lbs behind coach, but jeep weights in at 4600-4800
State College, PA
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, ventana