RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 07:23 AM   #1

Bose Soundbar Volume Control With Sony TV

2019 DS 49" Sony. Has anyone figured out how to control the volume of the Bose soundbar when the Sony TV volume is adjusted? I have gotten the soundbar to turn on when the TV is turned on or off but not volume control. Trying to eliminate having to use 2 remotes.

Thanx

az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 09:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
2019 DS 49" Sony. Has anyone figured out how to control the volume of the Bose soundbar when the Sony TV volume is adjusted? I have gotten the soundbar to turn on when the TV is turned on or off but not volume control. Trying to eliminate having to use 2 remotes.

Thanx
I occasionally have this problem, but first check to see that your TV is set to external speakers. When mine scews up, it doesn't recognize the external speakers. To correct this, I reboot them both by using the circuit breaker in pur 1/2 bath. After this, I only need to use the DirecTV remote for sound. Generally, several weeks pass before I have to go through this process again. .......I think it just likes messing with me, since I cannot determine the cause.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #3

The Sony TV is connected to the Bose unit via an optical cable. There is no sound adjustment on the optical side.
I believe that you can program the Bose remote to also control the Sony TV, then you only need one remote.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #4

Spartan Chassis
No problem at all, in sorts.

The TV speaker volume should always be at 0!

The way you control the volume of the Sound Bar is THROUGH THE BOSE REMOTE (or, in my case, a Harmony remote).

The layout of the Bose remote is really stupid, in my opinion, and is NOT intuitive. The buttons across the top are designed to control and power up the sources, ie TV. The remote needs to be properly configured with the universal codes, if not already.

Once the units are all on, the Bose remote is SUPPOSED to control ONLY the volume of the Bar! If and when it doesnít, you can press the ďBĒ (Bluetooth) button again; to wake the Bar up.

Again, DO NOT ATTEMPT to control the Sound Barís volume through the TV!!!

If you need more guidance, LMK.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizbad View Post
I occasionally have this problem, but first check to see that your TV is set to external speakers. When mine scews up, it doesn't recognize the external speakers. To correct this, I reboot them both by using the circuit breaker in pur 1/2 bath. After this, I only need to use the DirecTV remote for sound. Generally, several weeks pass before I have to go through this process again. .......I think it just likes messing with me, since I cannot determine the cause.

Hmmm, pretty strange. Something isnít right. Yeah, audio circuits CAN lock up on occasion. But, if configured correctly...barring a problem with the TV...things should be pretty stable and consistent.

You donít say what TV you have, but hereís a trouble-shooting sheet for Sonyís.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00027069
Old 10-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Hmmm, pretty strange. Something isnít right. Yeah, audio circuits CAN lock up on occasion. But, if configured correctly...barring a problem with the TV...things should be pretty stable and consistent.

You donít say what TV you have, but hereís a trouble-shooting sheet for Sonyís.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00027069
Steve,
All of our TV's are Sony's. In this case, it is the Televator TV that forgets to recognize external speakers. Occasionally, the Sony TV does not recognize the external speakers during start up. Even after selecting external speakers in the settings section (manually) on the Sony, it will revert back to TV speakers and it says it doesn't recognize the external speakers on the bottom of the screen. Then despite the fact that Bose continues to provide sound, so does the TV which provides an echo. As far as remotes go, the Bose remote will work, I just don't like it. Normally, we use just the Directv remote (only) for volume, channel change, input selection as well as powering everything on and off. For over the air, we use the Sony remote. As long as the TV recognizes the Bose, the Dirctv, or Sony, remotes will adjust the sound on the Bose speaker through the TV.
In summary: When the Sony "forgets" to recognize the external speakers, I turn the TV speakers down and use the Bose remote until I can do a power cycle .......both of them at once through the circuit breaker. .... Then all is well.

Thanks for the trouble-shooting link.
Stu
Old 10-14-2019, 12:34 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Bose Soundbar Volume Control With Sony TV

Stu,

Thanks for the details.

I don’t think your system is necessarily malfunctioning. The TV speakers WILL be active on most Sony TVs; you just have to turn them down to 0.

Some models have a setting to disable the internal speakers, but I don’t suggest using that, since you’ll occasionally want to just have the TV speaker and not need the Bose sound bar.

As to the Remote, yeah...like I said...the Bose remote is a mess. The DTV remotes only advantage is that they can speaker RF to the DTV box and IR to the TV and BOSE. Otherwise, it’s not a real fun remote either.

Even though it’s strictly IR, I prefer the Logitech Harmony with LCD display. They’re very inexpensive and do the job very nicely and have built-in intelligence that will “unscrew itself” when things get wonky.

The model I use on our Coach, is a previous years model because I like the button layout better.

Be careful which one you buy since the newer, higher end models with a hub, require a constant internet connection to work! The benefit is they can control just about everything with IR, RF, and Bluetooth! These can be programmed with a smartphone app, instead of needing a computer...a HUGE PLUS. The regular units still must be programmed from a computer.

Hope this helps you.

P.S. Sorry to pull this OP's topic off-track a bit.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:59 PM   #8

Steve,
Thanks for your tip on the Logitech remote. I'll keep that in mind.

What you may find interesting, is that for several months after we owned our Newmar we could only view Directv on the front TV. We finally learned while at Newmar (through our tech) that the Bose system needed to be on in order for the televator Sony to provide a satellite picture. .....This really blew my mind since I have some knowledge of wiring stereo's and TV's. So, I don't know how Newmar did it, but the Directv satellite repair guy in the Nappanee area as well as Newmar confirmed for us how to operate it. All is well now, but we cannot watch the Televator TV on satellite unless the Bose is on.
One of my favorite sayings applies to all of this: You just can't make this stuff up!

Thanks again,
Stu
Old 10-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizbad View Post
All is well now, but we cannot watch the Televator TV on satellite unless the Bose is on.
One of my favorite sayings applies to all of this: You just can't make this stuff up!

Thanks again,
Stu

Ha. Well...Iím this case, Iím gonna say that they really ARE making this stuff up!

Never heard of, nor can I possibly engineer a reason this would be true!

In terms of A/V inputs, The BOSE is completely separate of anything to do with the Directv. Period.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:36 PM   #10

I have tried it either way for external speakers or TV speakers.
I mostly use the Dish remote to control the TV volume. So if changing the TV volume would also change the Bose volume it would work.
I can get the Bose to turn on and off with the Sony TV but it won't change the volume of the Bose. I don't want to use the Bose remote. I was just trying to use 1 remote.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
I have tried it either way for external speakers or TV speakers.
I mostly use the Dish remote to control the TV volume. So if changing the TV volume would also change the Bose volume it would work.
I can get the Bose to turn on and off with the Sony TV but it won't change the volume of the Bose. I don't want to use the Bose remote. I was just trying to use 1 remote.

Iím trying to explain to you but let me try again.

The Bose needs to be controlled independently. So if youíre using a remote other than the Bose remote; then you have to configure the remote with the proper codes to change the BOSE volume.

I think youíre confused that the Bose bar is coming on with the TV. This happens automatically when the Bose soundbar senses a signal and has nothing to do with the remote.

Again...

Leave the TV at 0
Configure the remote (dish, direct, harmony or whatever) for the Bose Bar.
Use the Remote to change the volume for the Bose only.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:52 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

The Bose needs to be controlled independently. So if youíre using a remote other than the Bose remote; then you have to configure the remote with the proper codes to change the BOSE volume.

I think youíre confused that the Bose bar is coming on with the TV. This happens automatically when the Bose soundbar senses a signal and has nothing to do with the remote.

Again...

Leave the TV at 0

I agree, thatís the way mine is set up using Dish.
Soniccruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:58 AM   #13

Quote:

Again...

Leave the TV at 0
Thank You very much. I had my mind set on doing it a different way and it did not register.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #14

There is a work around. Get a Bluetooth transmitter. Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Connect it to the mini jack tv output and pair with the sound bar. Donít use the optical from the tv.

Biggest hassle is going to be getting access to the back of the tv and power for the transmitter.