Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #1

Breakdown on the freeway

We just bought a used 2015 Newmar Ventana 3436. It is on a Freightliner chassis with a Cummings 360HP engine. We live in Baytown, Tx and the MH purchased was in Maryland. So we flew up to purchase it and drive it home. The trip home was going fine until about 7:00 PM about ten miles from Augusta, Ga. I ran over a piece of truck tire and I heard it hit the underside of the MH but thought nothing about it. We were going to spend the night at a Cracker Barrel in Augusta but about a mile from my exit, the engine high temp alarm came on. Luckily I had a good place to pull off and before I got it stopped the engine shutdown. Took me two hours to get a mechanic and found that the piece of truck tire had broken a fitting of off a canister mounted next to the passenger side muffler. This fitting was part of a 1/2 inch hose that was tied to the radiator water somehow. We put water in the radiator and drove the MH to a truck stop at the next exit. The next morning the mechanic and I started trying to find the piece that broke off the cannister. He cut the hose right behind where it was molded to the hose and off we went to try to find that part. We went to a Freightliner and Cummings dealer and neither knew what the part was and did not have anything like it. So my mechanic and his dad went to an auto parts store, bought the parts they needed to rig this hose back on the cannister and got me back on the road. I need to identify this cannister so I can locate the right dealer to buy the hose. If any of you MH owners have this chassis, engine combination, you or a mechanic should locate these hoses and tie them up out of the way so road debri cannot hit them. When I get mine repaired, I will also install an aluminum plate under these hoses. I got off lucky. Only cost me 14 hours downtime and $500. I will try to send pictures which I have never attemped on this site. Thanks for any advice anyone can give me on who makes this cannister and what it is called. The 1st picture shows the cannister next to the muffler. The piece broke off the hose with the blue tie wraps. The 2nd picture shows where the hose was reattached with 2 hose clamps back on the location it broke off of.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CANNISTER NEXT TO MUFFLER.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	153068

Click image for larger version

Name:	HOSE CLAMP WHERE FITTING BROKE OFF.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	153069.
hstansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2017, 08:47 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
That looks like your SCR and is part of your SCR. I see nothing in any of those photos that look like coolant lines (which aren't usually covered in flex conduit).

If these are indeed part of your SCR/DEF system, you want to get to a Freightliner or Cummins dealer ASAP. If the system isn't working properly, you will get an engine shutdown command or limp mode from the computer soon.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:21 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Agree with luvlabs. For pics/diagrams heck out this link https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...g&action=click
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #4

what do you mean by "engine high temp alarm" - was this an ONSCREEN alert, and/or an audible 'alarm' ? What does it look like?
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #5

I can't imagine that this hose has anything to do with the engine, but only the Emissions system, which now are tied into the overall alert system, and can sometimes derate your engine when problems arise. Did your engine actually shut off itself, or did it just derate/slow down?
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are a very lucky person when it comes to finding people to work on your RV and in a timely manner. Those guys were great in my opinion.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am wondering.. The only things other than the engine and water pump and hoses on an engine cooling system are heat exchangers Now on Diesels there are 3 or 4 common types of Heat Exchangers.
1: The radiator itself (this is actually TWO heat exchangers one for Tranny Fluid) Side note: there may be a 2nd one for the tranny as well)
2: The "Dash" heater (also any "rear" heaters that may have been installed)
3: Aqua-Hot or equivalent, And this is my suspect, since the engine folks do know know what that part is.. DO You have a Hydronic heating system?

If so you now have a lead on finding the part.. Good luck.

Oh, I mentioned 4 heat exchangers. the 4th is not part of the Engine cooling system,, Dash A/C.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well we're certainly happy to read your ordeal did not turn into something more serious or damaging. Happy Trails.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:48 PM   #9

Thanks, Luvlabs, for your response to my problem. Just to update you, after we could not troubleshoot the problem, we added water to the radiator so I could drive it one mile to a truckstop to do repairs on it the next day. As the mechanic was adding water I looked underneath the motor for leaks and saw a 1/2 inch hose hanging down with water coming out of it. We then knew where my problem was. Drove it to a truck stop that night and the next day after getting the broke part off the hose, we starting looking for a part. Nobody knew what the part was or what it came off of. We went to the parts stores of Freightliner and Cummins and nobody knew what it was. That was when my neighborhood local mechanics brainstormed and jerry rigged a fitting to hook the hose back up and get me back on the road. Otherwise, I would have probably been sitting there for 2 or 3 days for some other roadside mechanic to come up with the right hose and charged me more than I want to think about.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #10

Yes, wa8yxm, I do have a hydronic heating system on this coach. I think you may have hit on the source of my problem. The hose definately carries radiator water to the cylinder on my picture. I agree with you that this is probably a heat exchanger to heat the water. I will touch base with Newmar tomorrow to see if this exchanger is something they installed on the MH related to the Hydronic heating system. Thank you very much for that bit of information.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:10 PM   #11

MisterT, I received an audible alarm and also a display warning that the engine was overtemp. I immediately pulled off the freeway at a safe place and before I could stop, the engine stopped. I assume this was the engine high temperature shutdown.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:20 PM   #12

Thanks for your reply, Mister The hose that broke off was definately connected to the radiator water sysem.
The engine shut down automatically on High Temp. When we added water back to the radiator, I noticed a hose underneath the engine hanging down and leaking water very fast. I then knew where my problem was. Another resonse on this site suggested it was connected to my Hydronic Heat System and that the cylinder the hose was connected to was a heat exchanger. I will check with Newmar tomorrow to see if they installed this cylinder and if it is truly a heat exchanger.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:26 PM   #13

As a matter of curiosity and for future use where did you see this motor home advertised, dealership or individual, and how did you handle payment or financing that far from home town. We purchased a new motorhome 2 years ago and am sure this will be our last one and may not have too many more years to use it. Will then be needing to sell it.
Appreciate hearing about your acquasition experience.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:34 PM   #14

Yes, Arch, I searched for two hours trying to find a roadside mechanic with no luck. By chance, I called the truck stop a mile down the road and ask them if they knew of a mechanic. The nice lady fixed me up with a name and number and he as there within an hour. He was a home town, local RV mechanic, worked indepepent with his Dad, and was one of the hardest working, most determined mechanic I have ever met. He and his Dad spent 8 hours trying to find parts to repair my problem. Parts could not be found. So they engineered parts from a local auto supply and got me back on the road. I don't think I could have ever found any other mechanics that could have repaired my problem with their ingunuity. These guys were fantastic. Later, I will be posting his name and number for anyone that breaks down in the Agusta, GA. area.