Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Breaking down soap scum in gray tank/plumbing?

I've had issues with the shower not draining so fast, I treated it with Drano (safe for plastic, etc.) and immediately flushed gray to be further safe. I recently swapped out a gate valve and noticed all the soap scum buildup even at the gray tank valve. I cannot imagine what's in the gray tank and building up over time simply from SOAP and SHAMPOO.

What are thoughts here in breaking that down from time to time to mitigate future issues? We all know how hard soap can get and I'm not sure even if we had a gray tank rinse like black would help. I think there is an evil building in the gray tank over time if this is not taken into consideration. I think something that breaks soap down should be added from time to time.

Thoughts?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Breaking down soap scum in gray tank/plumbing?

I am assuming kitchen sink also feeds grey tank. Grease and food particles are pretty nasty in the grey tank. Hair and soap scum always an Issue in shower and bathtub drains. And if anyone with long hair uses them then it is much worse.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
For me, shower draining slow = hair, not soap scum. I use a snake and usually pull out a hairball the size of a cat.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
For me, shower draining slow = hair, not soap scum. I use a snake and usually pull out a hairball the size of a cat.
Maybe so but there is still a lot of buildup in the gray tank I think most are not aware of and we should consider breaking down at times.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Maybe so but there is still a lot of buildup in the gray tank I think most are not aware of and we should consider breaking down at times.
You're probably right, I never thought about it.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:08 PM   #6

I have used Happy Campers holding tank treatment in black tank after every dump. .

I also use it in the grey tank at least two or three times per year.
I charge the grey tank with one scoop and about five+ gallons of water before we head down the road. When we get to destination, I dump it.
What comes out is black with chunks.......

In over ten years, I've never had an issue with my holding tanks or the sensors.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I have used Happy Campers holding tank treatment in black tank after every dump. .

I also use it in the grey tank at least two or three times per year.
I charge the grey tank with one scoop and about five+ gallons of water before we head down the road. When we get to destination, I dump it.
What comes out is black with chunks.......

In over ten years, I've never had an issue with my holding tanks or the sensors.
+1 on happy campers. Put a scoop plus 5 or 10 gallons of water and go for a drive. Dump and rinse when you get to destination.
Hugh Jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #8

The only time I’ve ever cleaned waste tanks in decades of use is when the level sensors become inaccurate. I’ll just put some detergent concentrate down the drain with a few gallons of water and take a drive. Or do it during a relocation to the next destination.

Ordinarily don’t use any of the chemicals on offer, and this is a rare event. Maybe once every couple of years.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #9
tvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jass View Post
+1 on happy campers. Put a scoop plus 5 or 10 gallons of water and go for a drive. Dump and rinse when you get to destination.

[emoji736]Happy Camper is great , works !
Old 08-06-2019, 05:37 PM   #10

I don't get OCD over waste tanks........never had one clog in all the years of camping/FTng

Fill/Dump...add water back in after dumping and repeat.

Don't get all OCD about S&B waste drain system either.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I've had issues with the shower not draining so fast, I treated it with Drano (safe for plastic, etc.) and immediately flushed gray to be further safe. I recently swapped out a gate valve and noticed all the soap scum buildup even at the gray tank valve. I cannot imagine what's in the gray tank and building up over time simply from SOAP and SHAMPOO.

What are thoughts here in breaking that down from time to time to mitigate future issues? We all know how hard soap can get and I'm not sure even if we had a gray tank rinse like black would help. I think there is an evil building in the gray tank over time if this is not taken into consideration. I think something that breaks soap down should be added from time to time.

Thoughts?
I have used the same liquid soap that I use in my dishwasher. It works very well.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #12

I really like Happy campers, one scoop to black 1 scoop to grey water, for grey a alternate between shower and sinks.

Zzotte
Old 08-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I don't get OCD over waste tanks........never had one clog in all the years of camping/FTng

Fill/Dump...add water back in after dumping and repeat.

Don't get all OCD about S&B waste drain system either.
Well, I’ll have to agree with olé biscuit! But, since we’ve started fulltiming I’ve taken a different approach.

We move from site to site and the distance between sites have been about 250 miles or so, maybe 300. I tend to flush the black clean, put about 30% or so of clean water back in the tank and drop in two or three laundry pods along with a little bit of pine sole. I also put about 30% or so water in the gray tank and add pine sole to that. Water, for the gray tank, tends to come from showers.

We then drive the coach, sloshing the water and chems, to our next site where I then drop the black and then the gray tank. I’ll spend a little time flushing the black tank and then I put about 20% water back in the black tank so that nothing sits on a dry bottom.

I tend to do this every two or three stops and have not had a problem with the tanks, no smells, no problem pulling the tank valves, nothing for almost four years!

YMMV.....
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ever since automating the tank dump process, I have set the gray tank default to closes until it reaches 90%.
Time will tell if this helps, but I assume it is same as black, where keeping solids from collecting is important.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray tank, plumbing, tank