Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2017, 10:31 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Echoing TranquilJim. Your added lights, while helping you see better for safety, may blind the driver coming in the other direction. That's why the NHTSA has their standards for lights. How many times have you been blinded with the ultra bright lights on an oncoming car and grumbled about that driver?

Can the lights be improved within the NHTSA guidelines? Can the supplier to Newmar or Newmar make improvements?
The larger problem in the last 4-5 years has been converting standard halogen headlights to H.I.D.
H.I.D bulbs are meant for a focused capsule ( like projector beams) when installed in a halogen ( common automotive) capsule the glare to oncoming traffic is greatly increased. I saw someone posted on DRL also. They are meant to make you more visible to oncoming traffic, NOT to illuminate your way.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #44
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"NealC".......I mentioned the issues you would have earlier. I've played with lighting for years and made a lot of mistakes from buying cheap bulbs to trying to get LED's and HID's to work in lenses they're not designed for. Sometimes you just have to let people experiment, but I'm trying to save you money and aggravation. You may get some brighter light directly to the sides and in front of the coach by putting in the LED's, but you won't increase your down the road lighting, it will just fade out.

I have a new GMC Canyon with the focused headlight lenses. They're designed for use with HID or LED, but GM just puts in a cheap bulb. There is actually a forum for the new GMC Canyons and Chevrolet Colorados and these young guys are changing everything. I waited until several changed the headlights to see what brand worked best. I ordered the brand everyone liked (pretty expensive) and found that in order to really get the power and light you want, there is a lot of wiring, ballasts, drivers and capacitors that come with the kit and have to be wired in. The moral of the story cheap lights off ebay don't work. At minimum the LED's require a large cooling fan on the back of them.

I didn't mention it before, but there is something you can do if you want to spend about an hour doing it. I'm not sure which bulbs you're using, but this works on most of the common ones. If you look at your bulb, it has plastic tabs, usually three of them, positioned so that they only go into the housing one way (they're "clocked"). Typically a low beam bulb is 35 watts and has a material painted over the tip of the bulb (to prevent the blinding of oncoming traffic). Now....your high beam bulb is typically rated at 55 watts and has no material covering the tip. It's a more powerful bulb, but it won't fit in the low beam position because those three tabs are cut a little different, clocked differently.

I took a set of high beam bulbs and used a razor and a dremel to make the clocking the same as a low beam bulb. I found I got better lighting and it didn't blind oncoming drivers. If you try this, buy a good quality bulb. Phillips bulbs are often recommended.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The M4's worked well, the problem is one of the two were defective and they are out of stock. When they get more I'll give it a try again.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:37 PM   #46

Don which GM forum or which bulbs were suggested?
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #47

I saw somewhere that a guy who had an older Bay Star discovered the head light assemblies were actually from a Toyota. Knowing that, he was able to order aftermarket replacements that were LED and better overall.

Looking at most of Newmar's headlights, I suspect they are all borrowed from passenger cars and trucks. According to ComNet, the 2017 Ventana headlights have vendor part numbers of 334-1121R-AS and 334-1121L-AS.

A Google search reveals those are from a Dodge Nitro. I can tell you that when I traded out my stock /Wrangler headlights for LED's it was like night and day. But those are 7 inch round headlights and easy to find. But I did see LED Nitro replacements for sale. Can't speak to the quality but there you go.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:00 AM   #48
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The GM forum is called Coloradofans.com
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
I just replaced my stock headlights with M4 LED headlight. There was a tremendous difference. I have attached before and after pictures. Click image for larger version

Name:	20171124_170856.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	184013Click image for larger version

Name:	20171125_170832.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	184014
Old 11-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #50

Recommend Daniel Stern

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Sorry I don't have time to read all the posts here, but I strongly suggest you check out this link (from post #3). My DH communicated with Daniel Stern to come out with the best LEGAL solution to our very poor headlights. We could have replaced our "stock" head lights for under $100 but chose his suggestion of going with Genuine Honda headlights. Same external appearance but a huge improvement in illumination. He provided Amazon links for the replacements. He took no added on fee, just received something from the links. It was about a $500 improvement, but the increased visibility was well worth the expense.

We appreciated that Stern knew his business and saved us a lot of frustration.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:10 PM   #51

Rarely use the headlights, but I did recently. The high beams were useless. The low beams were mediocre. Looking forward to using one of the solutions posted here.
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:53 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I got two hours of night in on the way south from Newmar. One hour of which was in rain. Very happy with the Sylvania brighter bulbs recommended above.

Making a right 120 degree turn onto the access road to this KOA was a treat. Fortunately I’ve done it twice before so I knew the road. Turning completely in the dark sucks!! I’m going to start using my powerful LED flashlight for left turns out the side window!! Good thing it’s not a stick shift.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #53

Brighter headlights

NealC - have you given up on the M4 leds? Did you replace both highs and lows with the sylvania bulbs
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:17 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I liked the M4 but one of them was defective so I had to return it. He didn’t have anymore H13’s and there was a fit issue. I had to use two gaskets to keep it secure. The brightness and light pattern looked great though. One side of one of the bulbs would not illuminate.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:18 PM   #55

Carolina Campers
Neal What bulbs did you finally use?
djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:19 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
SYLVANIA H13 SilverStar Ultra High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulb, (Contains 2 Bulbs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KDO8U0..._6GniAb3CG8YND

Tags
light, lights