Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #1

Broken 5th Wheel Window Broken=== the Good and Bad with Newmar

Several weeks ago I had a branch break a window in the bedroom of our 5th wheel. The window is an emergency exit, tempered/tinted glass, with a crankout window below.

I called Newmar regarding the window. The window was made by Creation (no longer in business). Hehr would make a new window that would be an erector set replacement. We were told by Hehr that the glass could NOT BE REPLACED and a new window was required. The window was ordered and shipped in about 3 weeks. I drove the unit to a local window glass company for installation. WRONG WINDOW--Hehr error. No emergency exit and not the correct size. Shop drawings furnished by Newmar.

The local glass company tech told me that he would install a temporary plexiglass pane in the existing window while we solved the problem. I asked why we could not order a new tempered glass for the opening instead of replacing the glass. He said that it would be no problem. Hehr told Newmar that IT COULD NOT BE DONE.

I now have the plexiglass in place for temporary use. The tempered glass will arrive in about 2 weeks. The cost will be about 40% of the cost for a new window, no worry about new leaks, and a simple repair.

The GREAT news is that Newmar is paying for the freight both ways and the labor for the temporary plexiglass. It was NOT NEWMAR fault, but they accepted FALSE information from Hehr. They now have a note in their files that the window panes can be replaced and have the source noted.

At least we are not dealing with an orphan company where this is a common problem.

I am satisfied with my treatment from Newmar, but can not believe that I had the source for my problem 1 mile away and that Newmar was not aware that this problem (I thought this would be a frequent issue for the parts department) had never been previously identified.
jojolima is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2010, 05:14 AM   #2

Glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery.

I hope I never break a window, but it's nice to know of your solution.
I have a 5th wheel also - a Kountry Aire - but I'm thinking my emergency window is a Hehr (I'll have to look.)

I was just about to call Hehr myself this week. I've noticed that the rubber seals that go around the outside of the window glass are coming loose on several windows - it almost looks like they were cut too short. I'm concerned that moisture could get in behind the glass and into my trailer.

John
MT flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #3

My K/A 5er had a rear side window glass broken. Removed window and took to a local commerical glass shop and they replaced the glass. Tint was not quite the same but have lived with it for three years as of date.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote