Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2016, 04:23 PM   #1

Broken rubber ducky roof radio antenna

While doing some work on the roof of my 2015 DS I must have somehow leaned against one of the rubber roof radio antennas and broke it off about 2" above the ball. Can just the antenna part be ordered, and if so where would be the best place to try? And if so, will there be different brands with the ball on the end or are all of this kind all the same?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2016, 04:41 PM   #2

wagonmaster...this recently happened to me. Can you unscrew the antenna part from the round base? I had to order from Newmar Parts the whole kit, which included the cable, etc. Hopefully, you need only the rubber ducky to screw onto the ball...not costly at all. Their price includes shipping. I seem to recall some folks have talked about buying them from places like Radio Shack. Best wishes, Larry
Old 11-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I bought the rubber antennas at walmart, most all the auto part stores etc. Newmar used the same rubber antennas for years and I am assuming yours are the same.. some times hard to find as they must get replaced a lot.. I have several extras as the South west sun dries them out pretty quickly.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:51 PM   #4

Never thought about trying to unscrew it from the round ball, just assumed the round ball came with the rubber antenna. Thanks for that information. Will get back up there (which is not one of my favorite things to do, nor does the wife like me doing it) and try to get the remaining part unscrewed. This job was lots easier on my previous coach with the rear ladder and no railings to climb over. Assume Newmar engineers wanted their coaches to look like Prevosts and Newells, and probably never tried to climb up on the roof outside of the shop.
We have 2 auto supply shops and a WM Super Center within 1/2 mile of home so will try them all for a new rubber ducky.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:01 PM   #5

Lots of luck/success...but more importantly BE CAREFUL! As I mentioned,
I had to buy the whole assembly (from Newmar), needing only the half of
that "ball" that contains the screw. Larry
Old 11-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are generally two types of "rubber Ducky" antenna, and the good news is the replacement is universal. The bad news is I did not find a link to one.. but there is still hope.

I did find links to some designed to screw onto a stud.. The one I was looking for slips over the stud and secures with a set screw. Radio Shack used to sell them but,, alas, not in current on line catalog.

NOTE: the antennas are basically crap.. If you find out what antenna it is (CB or AM/FM) I can suggest great improvements.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Never thought about trying to unscrew it from the round ball, just assumed the round ball came with the rubber antenna. Thanks for that information. Will get back up there (which is not one of my favorite things to do, nor does the wife like me doing it) and try to get the remaining part unscrewed. This job was lots easier on my previous coach with the rear ladder and no railings to climb over. Assume Newmar engineers wanted their coaches to look like Prevosts and Newells, and probably never tried to climb up on the roof outside of the shop.
We have 2 auto supply shops and a WM Super Center within 1/2 mile of home so will try them all for a new rubber ducky.
My antennas (3) are topped with studs (under the caulk) and the replaceable rubber masts are available at Walmart in the auto department near the car radios/speakers. Scosche is the manufacturer ... blister packs hanging near the car radio wiring kits. About $8 ....
Old 11-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Metra makes an almost universal rubber ducky antenna kit. I've replaced 3 or 4 of my rooftop antennas with these. Used to be able to get them at several of the big auto parts stores, but I no longer see them come up online. You can still get them on Amazon... Much as I hate to send business to Amazon here it is...
https://www.amazon.com/Metra-44-RM1R.../dp/B000K50HAI
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #9

I lost the top of my "rubber ducky" antenna. Took the screw out that holds the ball together and took the remainder of the top portion down to Best Buy. They had a complete antenna (top mast, base and wire) for less than $20 that matched mine. Bought it and only used the top portion, including the half ball, to replace my broken one. As TvforMyRV says you can get one from Amazon (less expensive). Here is one for $9.95 https://www.amazon.com/Dual-MAR16B-M...m%2Ffm+antenna . Take the top off and throw the rest away.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There are generally two types of "rubber Ducky" antenna, and the good news is the replacement is universal. The bad news is I did not find a link to one.. but there is still hope.

I did find links to some designed to screw onto a stud.. The one I was looking for slips over the stud and secures with a set screw. Radio Shack used to sell them but,, alas, not in current on line catalog.

NOTE: the antennas are basically crap.. If you find out what antenna it is (CB or AM/FM) I can suggest great improvements.
I have 2 of these rubber ducky antennas just back of the front cap, one about over the driver and one over the passenger. I'm assuming one is for the dash AM/FM radio and the other would be for a radio in the front passenger compartment. Agree on the "crap" part. They are great for an in-town station but further than 20-25 miles away just forget any reception. The radios in my 2001 Wrangler and 2006 Colorado PU do a pretty fair job 90-110 miles away on a clear day.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:12 PM   #11

I have found several replacement type antennas at O'Reilleys Auto Parts, one about 14" like the original, one 17", one that was a black rod longer yet with wire spiraled around it sort of resembling the one on my Jeep Wrangler, and a long steel antenna. They all looked like they would screw onto the stem of the round base ball but none were precisely exactly like the one I broke.
Has anyone put one back on that was longer than the original that might get better reception?
Old 11-30-2016, 09:34 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgoin4it View Post
I bought the rubber antennas at walmart, most all the auto part stores etc. Newmar used the same rubber antennas for years and I am assuming yours are the same.. some times hard to find as they must get replaced a lot.. I have several extras as the South west sun dries them out pretty quickly.
Yep, same here on our '02 DSDP.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, radio, roof