Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #1

I just finished specking out a 2008 Mountain Aire. $505,000 Wow! Nicely optioned Essex $540,000. This will be my 4th Newmar, all of the others were built for me. 2003 4005 DSDP /2004 4301 MADP/2006 4304 MADP. Trying to way out the +'s and -'s. I know there are lots of owners of both products on this forum. I would like to have your impute. Thanks!
sjcaldal11
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #2

I just finished specking out a 2008 Mountain Aire. $505,000 Wow! Nicely optioned Essex $540,000. This will be my 4th Newmar, all of the others were built for me. 2003 4005 DSDP /2004 4301 MADP/2006 4304 MADP. Trying to way out the +'s and -'s. I know there are lots of owners of both products on this forum. I would like to have your impute. Thanks!
sjcaldal11
Old 04-25-2007, 05:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
It's time to get serious and spend some time in each coach (like an entire afternoon). Think about how you'll use the coach. You know the things that will irritate you. Find out how stuffworks. Is everyting user friendly,,,,,, for you. When the coach is in the driving, sleeping, eating and entertaining configurations does it work for you? Which coach does the chef like? Simulate meal preparation. Which works best? Run the awnings out. Open the outside entertainment center. Can you tow and carry what you want?

I guess the bottom line is which coach fits you the best.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:19 PM   #4

It is often hard to see through all the eye-candy at the infrastructure stuff. The longer you simulate how you would actually use each coach the more differences you'll see. As an experienced Newmar owner, you know the drill. Both models are spectacular machinery.

In addition to the livability aspects consider the stuff you don't directly see. Some of these might help you decide - especially when you discover you can not even option some things on a MA that are standard on an EX and even vice versa. For example, the EX comes standard with Hadley air control, air leveling, integrated systems controller, bigger engine, and other niceties like easier to use privacy curtains, slicker lighting/electrical, finer cabinetry, and the like. Can't even order those on a MA. However, the MA delivers a boat-load of value and can be had with glazed cabinetry for a tenth the cost of EX glazing.

The MA qualifies for Newmar "regular" service and the EX qualifies for "premium" service that might be important to you.

Ordering a MA means you'll be able to configure it your way for your needs in your colors. An already built EX might create annoying compromises for you or add to its cost through retro-fitting. The in stock EX might have the pre-ULSD engine making your travels through Mexico easier over the coming couple of years, the 08 MA will require ULSD.

Some of these things may be important or not. Only you can make that list of important items by simulating using them. I spent hours in coaches doing just that, clip board in hand, trying to figure out what was important to me by considering every scenario Id encounter and how the coach and I would get along together in each scenario. I must have looked pretty silly doing it but it was a lot of fun and I am confident in my choices. I am sure you will be too!
Old 04-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Jeff, I'm not sure whether the addition of the KADP has changed this but the MADP had been included at high line service...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:57 AM   #6

This is the first time I have heard of any difference in service for any line. Can someone explain what that means? I did here the dealer mention that Newmar was willing to do more specials because they moved the MADP to the "high line".
Thanks,
sjcaldal11
Old 04-26-2007, 02:35 AM   #7

The '07 and newer MADP on K-2 Spartan chassis's are included in the high line service. This service is done in a different building in Napanee at Newmar.
The differences as I see them are,

* More one on one service ongoing.
* Able to stay with your coach during service.
* Pets allowed in waiting room.
* Dedicated high line service phone number(s).Those are some that come to mind.

Peter
Old 04-26-2007, 03:19 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
High line service is more personal and accommodating.

In some cases you get a person to contact instead of a department, and under certain conditions, they will come to you.

Another thing on the 2007/2008 models, is the 2007 leftover will have the "old style" diesel engine, and the 2008 will have the "new" engine with the new emissions controls.

After learning about the new engines, I would not hesitate to buy one, but it may matter to some folks.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:44 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Peter and all....seems like I forgot to mention this, but talking about the high line service concept struck a memory cell...

When I was there in January they were moving the HVAC units and measuring the walls and such to facilitate the planned enlargement of the high line service area. If you recall where Carl and Chris sat, they are effectively moving them more to the right and then adding their present office space to the waiting area.
I do remember being there in the summer months and with the present configuration of one couch and two chairs, the room fills up quickly...
They also floored the space above the waiting area and have started using that for parts storage...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:09 AM   #10

Here is some of the +'s for the Essex,
1. Electronic ride height.
2. Awning rails with 2 awnings.
3. 500 Hp without 2008 emissions.
4. 12500 Gen set.
6. Panoramic bay doors.
7. Manoboc water system.
8. Traction control.
9. Larger discount ( left over )
10. No waiting.

Mountain Aire +'s
1. Floor Plan we love.
2. Order just what we want with lots of specials.
3. A chance to do factory tour. (Missed on previous builds)
4. Custom paint colors on 08 graphics.
5. Less money.
6. Chance to deal with same dealer as 2 previous Mountain Aires.

Thanks for any others you might know and what I might have missed.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:50 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Floor Plan we love.
2. Order just what we want with lots of specials. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
These more than justify the MADP over the leftover, in my opinion, FWIW, ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:18 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome sjcaldal11 to the Newmar forum and irv2
Which ever one you decide on its a Newmar.
Would like to offer you a Newmar forum membership in any case you deserve it, what do you say.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I think you answered your question and I agree with ED...
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:30 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Floor Plan we love.
2. Order just what we want with lots of specials. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
These more than justify the MADP over the leftover, in my opinion, FWIW, ED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly! When spending your own money(whether a small or large amount-RVing is not a financial investment it is a lifestyle) why would you want a leftover when you can order it the way you want it!!!