Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2007, 05:54 PM   #1

I doubt this will fly but I'm going to contact my dealer tomorrow and have him talk to Newmar and see if they will "slightly" modify a DSDP 4354. I tried my best to keep all the structural things like slides fully intact because I don't think they'd even consider it otherwise.

Please keep in mind that I'm not an artsy type and can't draw a straight line to save my life so its not the best MS Paint job out there.

What do you think of the floor plan changes and what do you think the odds are of them actually doing it?

Update, see my post below for the info on the approved plan. Got to love Newmar. Tiffin wasn't nearly so flexible.

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2007, 05:54 PM   #2

I doubt this will fly but I'm going to contact my dealer tomorrow and have him talk to Newmar and see if they will "slightly" modify a DSDP 4354. I tried my best to keep all the structural things like slides fully intact because I don't think they'd even consider it otherwise.

Please keep in mind that I'm not an artsy type and can't draw a straight line to save my life so its not the best MS Paint job out there.

What do you think of the floor plan changes and what do you think the odds are of them actually doing it?

Update, see my post below for the info on the approved plan. Got to love Newmar. Tiffin wasn't nearly so flexible.

2008 Saturn Vue
Old 08-25-2007, 04:48 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
IMHO, I don't think they'll make those changes, as the plumbing and electric would have to be re-engineered, but it never hurts to ask.

I have heard that it is a bit easier to get major changes on the highline coaches, but I believe redesigns are rare.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:46 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Aridon,
I think you have a chance to get this done. I am also working with Newmar for bunk beds in a tag axle chassis. Your drawing has some good ideas. If you get no from the dealer, attend the NKK International rally and talk to the Newmar Execs directly. They are very good to work with.

On edit, I showed the floor plan to the wife. She said no way. She mentioned there is no closet for hanging clothes. There is not enough overhead storage. The ladies gotta have their stuff.

Have you looked at the MADP 4529? Put the bunks where the double sink is located. Just in front of the rear bedroom.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Its possible for a price. You may have a common holding tank for toilets and shower though.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #6

Gary,

Wife and I were talking about the storage and thought of a work around or two. Naturally its impossible to have everything but it might work.

Could go with a single Washer / Dryer combo unit instead of two and open up the top of that storage there for hanging cloths.

Could add some OHC to the opposite side of the bunk beds on the wall up top.

Could add a linen closet above the toliet

I would probably want OHC over the living room seating section as well they don't take up much space and add a lot of storage even though small.

I know, not perfect, no clue if they'll even do it to begin with but I'll let you know.

I'm also working with someone at Tiffin to see if they will do a bunk in their 42 Tag model.

I'll keep you guys informed on what I find out.

If its a yes from either company maybe we can put our heads together and figure a better plan.

2008 Saturn Vue
Old 08-25-2007, 10:53 AM   #7

Another option on the storage situation:

Where the W/D unit is now, remove it and open that entire area as one big closet. You'd have the space the W/D sits in and also all the space behind the TV.

Take the W/D and build it into the cabinets in front of the master bed or maybe near the toilet and move the sink to where the linen closet is near the shower. Might be a little tight but Might work.

2008 Saturn Vue
Old 08-26-2007, 04:08 AM   #8

Aridon, You probably already looked at the AllStar 42 footers: 4154(with bunks) or the 4156(2nd bedroom-can be configured anyway you want it), neither of which require the tag axle since they are mid-engine(drive like a sports car).
Old 08-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #9

The 4154 is still on our short list. We've taken it off and added it a number of times already for different reasons but its still on our list which is down to 3 coaches.

Right now in order:

DSDP 4354 - If Newmar won't make the changes we can do them ourselves after we get the coach so I'm not really at all worried about that. Probably would be cheaper that way anyways and we'll get it our way. The living area of this coach is just outstanding, bedroom is nice and still plenty of room back there for the bathroom and bunks. I've fiddled with the plan more and have it just about right so we'll see what happens.

KSDP 3943 - Nice plan in the back part of the coach. Love that. Up front its sort of meh. That deep slide isn't very wide and thats the big reason we are hesitant to buy this coach. Couple that with there are none out there to see and I can't see taking the chance on being disapointed.

ATME 4154 - We like the liviing areas on this but a few things are holding us back. Lack of storage (we'll be full timing with kids eventually just me and the wife ATM), wife isn't crazy about the bathroom which seems a little on the small side and I'm not crazy about the master bedroom (lack of storage and not crazy about the Flip down LCD in there. Some of that can be changed some not. There are some other things that we're not crazy about but they slip my mind. Its still a beautiful coach and definitely on our list.

So we'll see what happens. The best part of the DSDP 4354 is we can get either get rid of the sink in the back, move the W/D closet up where that second wardrobe is and just put the bunks back there. They'll have privacy with the door and we keep both bathrooms and the Master still has a wardrobe to hang cloths in. If we want more storage we can get rid of the window in front of the master bed and have them build in a wardrobe there instead for hanging cloths (similar to the one in the brochure which looks hot with the legacy maple). Not really a big deal as there is already plenty of light and windows in the lining area.

Best part is if Newmar refuese to do the bunks back there it would be really easy for us to do them on our own as there is just a crap load of room there.

I'll let everyone know what they say once I hear back.

2008 Saturn Vue
Old 08-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
There is one good thing about your decision. There is no choice that is a looser. No matter what the decision is, it's a winner.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #11

Heard back from Newmar today. They are going to make the following changes for $4300 - $4700:

1. Move W/D cabinet to place where Wardrobe is. This deletes end cap area back there for pipes and exhaust vent. Not a big deal.

2. Remove Sink in back, passenger side which was in front of the old W/D on the original 4354 plan.

3. Install bunks 35 wide by 75 long with flip down LCD. 2 rows of drawers located below the bottom bunk. Change window on that side for emergency exit.

4. Change the dresser / drawers in front of the master bed to whats in the 4317 with all the extra wardrobe storage and keeping the 6 large dresser drawers. Picture below.

5. If space permits adding a sink with the back toilet. Not a huge deal for us since there are two other sinks we can wash our hands in but would be nice.

This solves our problem of lack of hanging cloths storage as we will have a butt load of it now with the change to the dressers. We also gain essentially a second bedroom with separate bath that can sleep 2 pretty comfortably with the over sized bunks. At 35 by 75 I can fit pretty comfortably and if our guests don't like it they can sleep on the sofa bed or out in a tent :P

The one downside to this unit is the bunks are in back meaning the kids have to go through the M/B to exit. The plus is they won't hear the TV as much being in the back and won't be able to sneak out either should that issue come up.

One other downside is the kitchen is missing one OHC and instead has a big window but should still be more than adequate.

I'm including some pics I found of the layout, this isn't our unit but one from the net hadn't seen one until recently and its nice to get a look at some pics instead of just looking at the floor plan.

New Floor plan approved

Master Closet area, lots of big drawers below

Master Bed with extra small closet / drawers

Exterior 1

Exterior 2 - That full wall slide is a beast I hope there aren't any issues with it and they oversize the motor

Inside 1 - First thing we are getting rid of is the chairs with the ottomans and replacing them with similar leather chairs but are true recliners so we don't have those stupid ottomans in the way and can still kick our feet up and recline.

Inside 2

Kitchen

Nothing is perfect but for the price its a pretty nice floor plan. I don't think I can justify spending a fair bit more for a MA even with the extra year on the warranty and chasis. We were looking at dumping the sinks like Gary suggested but there were some issues that Newmar was not able to really address and in the end we felt it just wasn't worth the balooning costs. Just hard to justify that extra 100k for me and I'm sure some of you think I'm nuts for saying that

We haven't finalized everything yet but at least we know Newmar will do the bunks in the Tag and figured I'd share my result with everyone as promissed. We should be ready to order at the end of January and can't wait to hit the road FT

Hopefully we'll get a chance to meet up one day, it would be interesting to sit around a camp fire and shoot the bull with some of you. Everyone here has been a huge help and hopefully one day I'll have half the knowledge some of you have and will be able to help out some.

Safe travels and thank you!

Edit:

I wanted to add that we were also working with Tiffin on doing a bunk model in one of their Tag coaches. At fist the indication was they were going to offer one, then they ended telling us "No changes allowed" and sent us a 35 foot Allegro gas (FRED) floor plan. Nice coach but not what we were looking for.

I am impressed with Newmar's flexibility and willingness to work with the client, thats a very nice touch and not common in our price point.

Thank you Newmar

2008 Saturn Vue
Old 09-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
That's great!

Glad I was wrong, and you'll get a custom job.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Congratulations on your new coach. It looks like you have a winning floorplan. It should serve you well. May you have all the happy miles you can stand.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #14

Congrats on such a significant change. Great job. I wonder if Newmar is thinking of making some of these changes in a future floorplan and is using yours as a build prototype? It's a win-win.