RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #1

Burned off clearcoat on roof edges

Since I store my rig in Tucson..not a surprise that I have some burned off clearcoat sections on the edge of the roof..outside the " white " areas...and spreading down over the roof edge. Paint underneath still looks good. Looking for a home remedy..does this sound practical?

If i sand the edges where the clearcoat is burned with very fine sandpaper...and then buy some clearcoat in a can..assume they make that..can I just respray the small affected areas? Any other recommendations?

litespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeed View Post
Since I store my rig in Tucson..not a surprise that I have some burned off clearcoat sections on the edge of the roof..outside the " white " areas...and spreading down over the roof edge. Paint underneath still looks good. Looking for a home remedy..does this sound practical?

If i sand the edges where the clearcoat is burned with very fine sandpaper...and then buy some clearcoat in a can..assume they make that..can I just respray the small affected areas? Any other recommendations?
Hi Jay, sure you can do it anyway you want........to try and repair it. You will always see the repair, and it might not stop it from coming off/peeling. As new as your Coach is, why not have it professionally repaired/painted?

Old 04-01-2015, 04:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is a common problem with some NewMar coaches; contact NewMar they may fix it under warranty. Or at least fix it for a special price. I had a 2008 DS that was fixed at no charge when coach was over 2 years old.

Good Luck!
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #4

This is an issue that seems to cut across many coach builders. I have an '03 Monaco that I had an edge repair done last winter. I had a neighbor with a Tiffin that had the same problem. I tried a fix with rattle can clear coat and it was a failure.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi litespeed,
I agree, call Newmar and see if they will help with this.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:33 PM   #6

You can try it yourself, but the fix will be temporary. Scrape off the loose material with a credit card or a razor blade, rough it with a 3M scratch pad after hitting it with 2000 sandpaper. You can use a plain clear in a can or a two part clear. I found the plain ol' clear was superior to the higher priced two part product. But expect it to only last a year or two. Precision Paint quoted me over $2000 to re-do the entire roof with paint and clear.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #7

Mine lasted 12 years, but had to have Country Coach repair the same curved roof area you are having problems with. Cost me about 2,400 to get it done by the factory. Came out beautiful. Looks like new.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
It is NOT a Newmar problem.....the UV rays affect all coaches, not just Newmar. My 08 Safari (Monaco product) had the exact same problem. Look around any rv park and notice all the mh's that have this problem. It usually takes 3 or 4 years of being out in the sun for this to start happening.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
My 10 year old Saturn roof and edges looks just like NEW......So what is the problem with the rounded roof edges on the motor homes????
Do the MH Mfg's use a cheep paint process???
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyd View Post
My 10 year old Saturn roof and edges looks just like NEW......So what is the problem with the rounded roof edges on the motor homes????
Do the MH Mfg's use a cheep paint process???
Siggy
RVs generally sit in 1 spot longer then a car. When your down south where there are more sunny days, you'll notice cars 4-5 years old with almost no clear on them.

Also, the least likely place to wax on an RV.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well if you own a NewMar it is a NewMar problem! And I know for a fact that they were fixing at special price or for no charge. Not sure about other brands.
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry43 View Post
Well if you own a NewMar it is a NewMar problem! And I know for a fact that they were fixing at special price or for no charge. Not sure about other brands.
Well I know for a fact that there price is no special. They wanted $3300 to do our roof surround.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
It's Newmar, not NewMar.

We have the same problem - clearcoat peeling off on the horizontal surfaces. Newmar service couldn't get it done when we were there last, the paint booth was booked up. They did not offer any special price for it. Are you sure you're not confusing this with the fiberglass checking issue?

We're probably going to have someone fix it here in Florida in the next couple months.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:48 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
What I meant was that this problem is not Newmar specific. Obviously, if it is still under warranty, then yes, it is a Newmar problem.

After experiencing this on our Safari, we built a new garage to house our new Phaeton to help eliminate this problem.

As mentioned, our coaches usually sit in one place for long periods of time...in my case, we live in the Southern California Mojave desert and our coach would pretty much set in one place from October to May. Then when we went north (to escape the desert summer heat) the coach would pretty much set in one place from May through October.

It does stay outside all summer, but it is located up on the Oregon coast where temps rarely get above 70. But for Fall, Winter, and Spring, it now stays in its own garage and hopefully that will delay this problem and maybe even eliminate it.

Ron

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof