Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2017, 04:39 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Buying a used Coach, 2-3 years old

Wife and I spent time at a campground Sunday visiting with campers and asking a lot of questions to help with our decision making in regards to getting a coach. One thing we keep hearing and reading is that to get a coach 2-3 years old, your timing almost has to be perfect. We are looking at Ventana's and started wondering, are the ones we do see for sale online, is there something wrong with them. I don't believe it but it does have us scratching our heads a bit.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2017, 04:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You didn't mention Gas or DP and you didn't mention your budget. I would just say there are several 5-10 old DP's that I would rather have than a 2-3 year old coach. It's all relative. If you aren't handy at all you may be better off with the slightly newer coach.

Good luck!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #3

Each month, thousands of first time buyers test the RV market according to several RV magazines. Some decide that RVing really wasn't what they wanted in the first place, or that their first RV didn't meet their needs and they want to down-size or go larger. Just so many reasons why folks sell their newer RV after a few years.

I can't think of any examples of a higher quality newer RV (2-3 years) that resulted in some kind of mass selling of "lemons." Btw, Newmar RVs (including the Ventana) are among the higher quality MHs (IMO).
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We were able to do that. We had two models, (a Newmar 3436 and a Winnebago Journey 36M), of recent vintage, (2-5 years), we would be okay with and wanted to purchase it from a private party. We then waited until we saw one for sale by a private party anywhere in North America, (the typical online resources and selling sites). When did find one we chatted with them, got photos and data sheets and detailed maintenance records, did a facetime walk thru, researched the VIN, engine, transmission and chassis model for issues. Then I flew to where it was, did my own walk through and such for the better part of day, closed the deal the next day and put it in storage, then flew back home. The next month we flew back, picked it up out of storage and drove it back on a week long trip (1,500 miles). We ended up with the MoHo we wanted, without dealing with a dealer (the local dealer here having a particularly colorful and smelly reputation), one year old, almost like new condition and we are still happy with our purchase and process. If you want more details on how we did it (IE money, titles and licensing issues) I would be happy to share that too.
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We are looking at a Ventana or Ventana LE. We have been told by may people to get a 2 -3 year old coach for two reasons; don't have to suffer the initial depreciation as well as "let the original owners work out the bugs". I am quite handy and quite frankly so is my wife.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:05 PM   #6

Make sure you lookup the used motorhome $$ current value on the NADA RV website. I have seen many private owner MH ads with an asking price higher then a brand new one less a normal 20-25% dealer discount. Seems owners of 2-5 year old MH are likely to be upside down between what they owe on the MH and what it is actual worth. Its not up to you to pay for their financial mistake.
FLCPA is offline   Reply With Quote