Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #1

Buzzing noise surround sound stereo on am band

I have a Pioneer stereo receiver and when I tune to the am band I get an extremely loud buzzing sound thru the ceiling surround sound speakers. The volume control knob does nothing to control the noise. It is so loud I almost had to change my drawers when I accidentally toggled the control knob to am.Does not make this noise on TV or DVD mode. Don't usually listen to am so I don't know how long this has been happening. Short black antenna on roof gone but I wouldn't think it would cause this. I checked all the connections on the back of the stereo and all is good. I will replace the antenna but I doubt that is the problem. I removed and cleaned the ground connection for the house fuse panel but haven't done the chassis ground yet. Any help is appreciated.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It could be the lack of an antenna. Also, try turning off any fluorescent or LED lights. Does the buzzing change when shore cord is disconnected? Do you have an inverter? All are known to create interference.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Turned off alll lights, inverter and still had noise. I disconnected shore power and plugged stereo into an ext. cord plugged into garage and noise went away. This garage outlet is the same one I used for the coach shore power. The stereo is picking up interference (very loud) from the coaches electrical outlets. Not sure what to do next.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tigerfan1,
Consider turning off every 120 VAC breaker one at a time until you find the offending circuit.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
With the stereo buzzing, try pushing the 'Test' button on each GFI outlet. Perhaps one of them is causing interference.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #6

One more thought; I hope it's not this, but I found out that my converter was bad and was leaking AC on to my DC charging circuit. A new solid state converter helped that and some other things also.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:10 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Converters (Switching type) Solar controllers, Florcesents and this is the big one MSW INVERTERS all cause that kind of thing.