Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
AWM

Cable TV booster

We have a 2018 DS 4018. We do not have satellite and use cable when available or antenna. Would like to get a cable booster because often the bedrooms TV pulls in the channels but by the time the signal gets to the front TV only a couple come in. So, I thought a booster would help but do not know where I would connect a booster.The input cable located in the 50 amp compartment has no AC outlet. Does anyone else use one?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #2

Are you sure the cable goes to the bedroom TV first and then to the front TV? That seems different than most coaches...

Do you have some sort of video distribution device in the front of the coach? Have you scanned cable channels in each TV?
Old 02-15-2019, 06:26 AM   #3
AWM

Yes we scan each separately. We have a DVR in the front and back bedroom but nothing that indicates a central location. Thought someone else might have used a booster and tell where and how they used it.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Page 80 of this Owners Guide will explain what your asking.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:16 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
We have a 2018 DS 4018. We do not have satellite and use cable when available or antenna. Would like to get a cable booster because often the bedrooms TV pulls in the channels but by the time the signal gets to the front TV only a couple come in. So, I thought a booster would help but do not know where I would connect a booster.The input cable located in the 50 amp compartment has no AC outlet. Does anyone else use one?
We have a '15 4369, don't know if '18 is still the same and don't know your floorplan.
Our cable comes in the electric bay then up to the OTA antenna booster then back to the passenger basement bay forward of the pegboard bay.
On this wall is a splitter that splits to the bedroom tv and to the kitchen. In the kitchen there is another splitter that goes to the televator and the outside tv.

The televator and outside tv always show a weaker signal more than the bedroom.
You can place a booster in the basement bay on the feed just before the splitter and it should help.
NOTE: the basement splitter may also have a feed going to the Front TV, we don't have a front TV so I don't know exactly where the feed comes from.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:36 AM   #6

Before purchasing a booster, I’d check all the cable connections to make sure they are all clean and tight especially at the splitter(s).

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:01 PM   #7
AWM

Norm, great help. This is a new RV for me so just figuring things out. I have looked and indeed the splitter is just where you said. One IN and 3 Out. Also in that Bay is an outlet I can use for the booster. I have checked connections and all are tight. Thanks again.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #8

Make sure the antenna boaster is off first. That may be the original issue.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:55 AM   #9

Now that you found the splitter you might try checking each of the three output legs by connecting a cable from the pole directly to each one ( thus bypassing the splitter, and OTA box ) and making sure they are all good there or not. You may also connect a direct line from the pole to the input to the splitter to rule out a splitter problem. If all your TVs get a good signal then a booster won’t help.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #10

I have the same issue with the cable signal.... what booster are you installing ?
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #11

A booster is not the answer. All you do is boost a bad signal. The TV cable system in the Newmar coaches is poorly designed with multiple splits and poorly shielded switching. The result is a weak signal to the TV's from the antenna or cable hook up.

I reworked my entire system. Biggest improvement was to remove TV/Cable switching from Winegard antenna control (which is totally unshielded) and the addition of digital channels flowing through the coach WiFi system via an HD HomeRun converter. Now I can view the TV sources either via the antenna input on the TV's or on any Mac OS or IOS device within several hundred feet of the coach via WiFi.

turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
A booster is not the answer. All you do is boost a bad signal. The TV cable system in the Newmar coaches is poorly designed with multiple splits and poorly shielded switching. The result is a weak signal to the TV's from the antenna or cable hook up.

I reworked my entire system. Biggest improvement was to remove TV/Cable switching from Winegard antenna control (which is totally unshielded) and the addition of digital channels flowing through the coach WiFi system via an HD HomeRun converter. Now I can view the TV sources either via the antenna input on the TV's or on any Mac OS or IOS device within several hundred feet of the coach via WiFi.

I use the HDHR with a PC based DVR setup. Clients are *anything* with a web browser.

The DVR software has evolved a lot. My current setup is PlexTV. This also serves up my antiquated DVD library that has been ripped to MKV files.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I use the HDHR with a PC based DVR setup. Clients are *anything* with a web browser.

The DVR software has evolved a lot. My current setup is PlexTV. This also serves up my antiquated DVD library that has been ripped to MKV files.
Yes, between the Channels app (IOS/Android/AppleTV) and HD HomeRun apps most anything is a client for live TV.

The key is getting a quality cable signal from the antenna or the cable box. Newmar lets the Wingard head unit do the video switching but it does it in a totally unshielded plastic box in the electrical panel. The result is the signal coming in the cable is assaulted by all sorts of interference, the worst being LTE cell phone interference. Thus the A/B switch in my setup.

Here is the back of my Wingard antenna box.

turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I find it ironic that while most folks are working on figuring out ways to stream TV via the Internet in their RV there are still some that are working on the (now ancient) cable tv options in their mostly state of the art RVs.

No disrespect intended... just a vivid reminder that we're all different.

Tags
cable