Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2018, 02:46 AM   #1

Calling all free standing table people with knowledge

We are considering the free standing table option. Like the versatility, flexibility and size.

Not sure how the table travels down the road. Most other options are fixed to a none movable anchor.

So how does the table travel down the road? Do you do anything to make the trip pleasant(quite with no rattles). Any other experiences?

If you do not own one do you know someone that does, how do they like it or not?

Thanks for your help.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2018, 03:32 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
First off it would be nice if you'd put some coach information on your signature. If you ask questions it's nice to know the kind, age, how long you've owned it etc, etc.

Our table option is not actually free standing but might as well be. I can supply pictures if you send me your home e-mail address by way of a PM.

One of our TT's did have a free standing table but it was screwed down to the floor. Yes you could set chairs around all four sides. I doubt you'd find a true free standing table because of there need to cover their butts in regards to a table flying around in case of an accident. That TT was hit in a parking lot by a dump truck and I was driving it at the time. The entire TT including the table and chairs was totaled.

Prior to us ordering the 2014 unit all our RV's (2 MH's and 3 TT) had the booth dinette (BD) option and we really never liked them. In the earlier years of RV'ing the BD cushions were very uncomfortable and we could never set long enough for an evening of games.

We now have a 2014 WBGO 30-T 31' long as listed in our signature. We love the table option. The table sets perpendicular to the wall and slides in to travel and out when parked as needed. It came with two cushioned full chairs and we used those for a few trips. They were comfortable but full sized and cushioned.

There were two folding chairs under the rear bed and we just never took them out until we saw another coach just like ours while on a camping trip to FL. They had removed the full cushioned chairs and used the two folding chairs. They stored them on the rear bed when traveling. When you stop for the night or even when eating lunch we just pull the folding chairs out set down and eat. Not a bid deal.

With two dogs and having no chairs up when traveling there's more dog walking space. When at a CG the folding chairs are comfortable and take up less space so we still end up with more room.

It's very difficult to get more than 4 at a standard BD. With the sliding table we can slide it out and add the insert leaf. If we had extra folding chairs we could then seat 6 or more. If company shows up to visit we can slide the folding chairs around, get out more chairs and have 6 or more in the living area visiting. We have done that but not often. You can't do that with a fixed BD.

The BD does have the fold down bed option and storage under the seats. Well that's OK. It is storage space but think about it. The storage space is still there even if the BD isn't setting in the RV. It's just not a defined space set up as 2 cushioned storage chests.

We so seldom need an extra fold down bed so it would be useless to us. When the BD is set up as a bed there goes the morning coffee and breakfast option for me. Then there's always someone in your breakfast area.

Many of the newer coach BD options are very comfortable and even seat upwards of 8 to 10. That's just fine but in our 30,000 miles and 4 years of use we've never had more than 6 in the MH and that was just for a quick birthday cake or a short visit. There's always the outdoor pick-nick table for larger groups.

We didn't buy a MH to entertain or to sleep more than two dogs a cat and the two of us. That's how we travel 99.9% of the time. Why buy and store stuff for the .01% of the other time?

The sliding table is slid in when we travel. It didn't rattle but I added a mechanical lever so I can move the table out any distance I want and can lock it down. When the table is out it is supported at the slide in end so there are no legs supporting the end of the table. Less stuff to get in the way.

If your are interested just send me a PM and I'll send you some pics of what I used and where it's located.

Maybe soon you can fill in your signature information Good luck on your search!!!
Old 06-21-2018, 04:10 AM   #3

I do not own a MH at this time. Have looked at a Newmar Dutchstar and have sat in all the options but have never driven one with the free standing table.

I appreciate your detailed response.Thanks
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:09 AM   #4

The wife and I own a 2008 Thor windsport which has a free standing table but it is secured to the floor while traveling so everything is secure and not moving around. Once we're at our destination it's a simple matter of removing two hand screws from the table legs and now we can place it were ever we want. There are two chairs at our table, these are not secured to anything but they have never been a problem in all our travels. We have two additional chairs we keep in an outside compartment if we need them. Hope this helps you. Good luck in your search for a good motor home.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:35 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
On our 1999 Southwind, the table has two wing bolts on the inside table leg that secure the table to the floor. The bolts are easy to install and remove. In the photo you can see one of the bolt holes (bolt removed) in the table leg. For us, the table distance from the walls works out ok, so I leave the bolts installed when we park.

The 4 chairs use a nylon buckle strap to secure them to the table legs. The straps are mounted high on the two table legs. One strap for two chairs. The strap wraps around the chair legs then clips together.

I've never had any problems with this arrangement, everything is fairly easy to latch down for traveling..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TableLeg.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	207964   Click image for larger version

Name:	00q0q_4HsnBDUAXkv_1200x900.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	207965  

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:33 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
We are considering the free standing table option. Like the versatility, flexibility and size.

Not sure how the table travels down the road. Most other options are fixed to a none movable anchor.

So how does the table travel down the road? Do you do anything to make the trip pleasant(quite with no rattles). Any other experiences?

If you do not own one do you know someone that does, how do they like it or not?

Thanks for your help.
We now have a VTDP 2016 with a EuroBooth dining option which we mostly like. Prior to this, we had a 2005 DSDP with a free standing table that we didn't like as well but it was OK. It had clips to anchor it to the wall. We rarely used the clips because the net result was an annoying squeak going down the road. I accepted the risk of a flying table in the event of an accident. No more risk than the chairs. With the carpeted floors, the table stayed consistently in place.
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our previous coach had dining table freestanding save for being bolted to the floor...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #8

I have a 5th wheel with a free standing table, it straps screwed to the floor that go thru the chairs and lower table to hold it in place, when I get to our destination I just undo the straps and I am ready to go, the table and chairs don't move. Also, my table has a table extender that slides out of the end, I went to a hobby store and bought some strap that was 1in in width and some snaps and made my own strap to secure it. I also travel with a camera in camper so I can see what is going on, I had the freezer open once and lost a whole bottle fireball (the DW was MADDDDDD), so now I like to see what is going on in there so I know the table doesn't move.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #9

Our 2018 Ventana has the free standing table and chairs.

we love it. Besides being convenient, we can move the table out as far as we need, move it to one side or the other (my wife likes to make an L-Shaped area as a desk, using the cabinet and table). It tucks in under the cabinet for travel, and can accommodate 2 chairs in that position easily. With a leaf that can be inserted, 4 chairs total can be around the table with plenty of room.

I am a larger guy, and a dinette just doesn't work for us. We don't need additional sleeping space that some dinettes have.
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #10

Picture of our free standing table:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	33117536_10215877518521294_3466733567940231168_n.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	207997  
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Heres a couple more photos of ours.. The inside leg of the table has two bolts, there or no bolts on the other leg.

You can see the clip strap that holds the chairs. The straps are screwed to the inside of the both table legs.

When we upgraded to this Southwind from our ole Mirada, the table was one of the things we specifically looked for. We wanted a table, not the booth .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Table_Leg_2 (1)_800.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	207998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Table_Leg_3_800.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	207999  

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never had a problem traveling down the road table set on a rug and was attached to the wall with flat hook clamps,
I removed them after installing cabinets with Corian shelf, for the wife and it still did not move.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:26 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the free standing table you are talking about. Absolutely love it, move it anywhere in the coach you want, nice and big when expanded. When traveling, with it in the normal two chair configuration, it has never moved an inch. This observation is over the last three years and 43,000 miles in our 2015 DS 4369. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Like some of the others, our free standing table is held in place with a clamp that is locked in place with a large knob with a 3/8 th inch threaded rod. The 2 solid chairs have a nylon strap to hold them tight to the table. 2 folding chairs are stored under the bed.
We had a booth in our old MH, and are very happy with the free standing table. It usually stays in place, but if we have company for a meal, we fold up the 2 "wings" to make more table space. It's a round table.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led