Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #1

Camp Freightliner

I am looking for feedback from anyone that has taken the two day Camp Freightliner I class in Gaffney, SC. I am due for my first (12 month) service,and if possible, I would like to schedule both events for the same time. Opinions?

Also, does anybody have a rough idea what the approximate cost of the 12 month service is?

Thanks,

jigsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
One of the Hoots

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
jigsup ... I think that would be a great idea. It all happens at the same place anyway. I just emailed you my Gaffney bills for my 1 year and 2 year annual services. I already have my 3rd year service appointment scheduled for this September. I really think you will enjoy the class. Also try to go on the factory tour while there.

Steve

2018 JL Rubicon on Order
FLSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Camp Freightliner

jigsup, I would unequivocally recommend Camp Freightliner. I've been twice. First time I had no MH, no MH or diesel experience. Worthwhile, but I was drowned in data. Second time was a year after I bought our DS. Invaluable!
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just had my Newmar Vantana LE serviced at Gaffney a week ago Monday. It is a 34 ft XCR with Cummins ISB 340 hp.This was the first service on a new 2014 rig.(first year or 12 K miles) I also had the motorhome weighed and tire pressure adjusted ($50.00) and bill came to $630. We arrived on Saturday for a Monday appointment. Got hit with that ice storm Monday afternoon so stayed until Wednesday chipping ice. Very nice people; best deal going.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Mike Pelchat (DriVer) visited Camp Freightliner a few years ago and blogged about it. I didn't re-read it but remember he thought it was highly educational and recommended it.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:25 AM   #6

2015 Newmar International Rally, Lewisburg, West Virginia...Freightliner has a 2 day class July 20 - 25. Single 175.00 - couple 225.00 ...make reservations for both. Register on line www.newmarkountryklub.com...and enjoy.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:32 AM   #7

Has anyone that has taken the class feel they are competent to perform the yearly maintenance instead of taking it to a FL shop?

I'm asking because I am a DIY type guy and enjoy doing my own maintenance.
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've taken it and although I don't have the space or tools to do our own maintenance the Camp gives us enough knowledge to be more confident when we do take it for service and not feel like we are at the mercy of the service mangers. We are signed up for Camp Freightliner II this November where they take you out in the garage and go over the underside of your chassis for you. Can't wait!!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Has anyone that has taken the class feel they are competent to perform the yearly maintenance instead of taking it to a FL shop?

I'm asking because I am a DIY type guy and enjoy doing my own maintenance.

When I was there, the speed and detail of the class seemed to be governed by the least knowledgeable student(s) . In my class, there were a couple of folks that really had no clue about anything automotive and dragged the rate down by asking what would be common knowledge questions that a reasonably mechanically inclined person would know. That being said, the class still was very worthwhile and will introduce you to the wealth of information that is available on the FL websites.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #10

Jiggs, don't know what FL charges, but I did see a Newmar pricing sheet for Nappanee service on FL and Spartan chassis. From memory, I believe they wanted about a Thousand Bucks more to do a FL over the cost of a Spartan. Didn't focus too much on the details, but there must be more work involved.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
... anyone ... competent to perform the yearly maintenance instead of taking it to a FL shop? .... I am a DIY type guy and enjoy doing my own maintenance.

Cajun, I'd feel quite competent with an oil change or fuel filter, for example, subject only to the need to back crawl under the coach in the mud! But even if I had a lift or a pit, and even with a proper checklist, I would rather take it to the shop for the 1- or 2-year checkups, and here's why: the large PM routines are the primary defense against unforeseen catastrophic failure. At these times I want someone walking back and forth under my coach who has an instinct, a nose borne of experience, looking at all those parts from underneath; someone who might become suspicious about the presence or absence of road dirt, the presence or absence of something not quite right. I am not (yet) that guy with my coach, so I will pay to put that guy in position to notice things on my coach.

My two cents..... Ymmv
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Jiggs, don't know what FL charges, but I did see a Newmar pricing sheet for Nappanee service on FL and Spartan chassis. From memory, I believe they wanted about a Thousand Bucks more to do a FL over the cost of a Spartan. Didn't focus too much on the details, but there must be more work involved.
Slabman,

Leave it to a Spartan guy to try and pull the leg of an innocent, naive and much younger Freightliner owner..."a thousand bucks more than Spartan" I hear it's Spartan that uses 24-carat gold wrenches; so how can Freightliner be more expensive? -

For those who are interested -- I called Frieghtliner today, and the standard 12 month service for everything on the checklist is approximately $850.00, with an additional approximate $250 if a front end alignment is done.
jigsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #13

Not pulling any legs, Jiggs. I'll try to send you the price sheet.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #14

I'm looking forward to attending Monday and Tuesday next week.

2013 Newmar Ventana 3634
gmpartsvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner