Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Can anyone tell me what these are? 1999 DSDP

I've lost power to most of the things on the dash of my 1999 DSDP including ignition, jacks and dash lights. When I turn the key, nothing happens in any position. A few things like the headlights, radio and turn signal still operate but most things don't.
I've searched the forum and have been looking for a blown fuse or ill-seated relay but no luck so far. I have the wiring diagram from 2006 but haven't located one from any earlier. For a while I thought it was a relay on the fuse panel that sits on the floor between the front seats because everything that's not working seems to be in the center row on that fuse panel. I removed the entire panel, cleaned up the contacts and replaced the suspect relay with no change.
One thing I keep putting my eye on are the two things in this picture. I really have no reason to believe they're the problem but they're electrical and look pretty corroded so I keep wondering about them. They're in the engine compartment on the passenger side, immediately behind the battery drawer. Can anyone tell me what they do? Any chance they're the root of my problem? If not, I'm open to any additional suggestions. I've pretty much resorted to randomly crawling in and around the coach at this point and it seems unlikely that I'm going to stumble on my problem that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161009_184144.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	141554  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2016, 04:02 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedl View Post
I've lost power to most of the things on the dash of my 1999 DSDP including ignition, jacks and dash lights. When I turn the key, nothing happens in any position. A few things like the headlights, radio and turn signal still operate but most things don't.
I've searched the forum and have been looking for a blown fuse or ill-seated relay but no luck so far. I have the wiring diagram from 2006 but haven't located one from any earlier. For a while I thought it was a relay on the fuse panel that sits on the floor between the front seats because everything that's not working seems to be in the center row on that fuse panel. I removed the entire panel, cleaned up the contacts and replaced the suspect relay with no change.
One thing I keep putting my eye on are the two things in this picture. I really have no reason to believe they're the problem but they're electrical and look pretty corroded so I keep wondering about them. They're in the engine compartment on the passenger side, immediately behind the battery drawer. Can anyone tell me what they do? Any chance they're the root of my problem? If not, I'm open to any additional suggestions. I've pretty much resorted to randomly crawling in and around the coach at this point and it seems unlikely that I'm going to stumble on my problem that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Those are electrical solenoid relays and they do look like they are in bad shape. I'd replace them as well as the terminals that go to them (this requires a crimp tool for the larger terminals).

Not sure why they are in the elements, Newmar normally puts things like this in a compartment or weatherproof box. Maybe the chassis mfr did it. If it is the chassis mfr, they very well could cause your problems.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have a switch on my dash that turns damn near everything off on the house side but it lets me start the unit without problem. The only reason I know its there was I accidentally turned it to the off position and we had nada for lights or radio etc. After panicking for a bit (actually quite a while) I went over everything on the dash and when I flicked the button back to on I suddenly had coach electricity and the radio came on.
In smallish letters there are lettering signs saying Aux Battery On / Off. This may not be your problem but it caused DW and I a lot of consternation when it happened to us. Some vehicles have this switch at the side door.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #4

These are main chassis power solenoids located in the engine compartment. They are a mess alright.
I would take a few good photos and replace both along with new terminal ends. Your coach must have seen a very salty environment in its day.
If you look below these on somewhere on the frame rails, you will also see the Starter Solenoid that supply's power to the starter. If it looks like this, you should change it also as it will surely come back to haunt you when you least expect it.
These are readily available from a good Autoparts or Truckparts store. Rather than mess with the shorter large cables, I would just replace the whole cable.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:51 PM   #5

I had something similar happen in 1999 Dutchstar I used to own. In mine I couldn’t get dash lights, the Allison transmission control pad would not illuminate or function, the engine wouldn’t crank, etc. Checked the batteries and they were good. I called Spartan and explained the problem and they suggested I talk to Allison. Called Allison and they referred me to a local Allison repair facility, I think it was Stewart and Stevenson. I had to get a mobile tech out to diagnose the problem. Turned out it was a wiring problem as the engine/transmission computer located in right rear bay beside the rear wheels was not communicating with the dash controls. Took about 3 hours but the tech finally found that small wire, in a large bundle of wires that runs from the computer to the dash, was corroded. Funny thing is that the insulation on the wire was not damaged in any way. Anyhow the tech spliced the wire and everything worked fine afterward. To find the faulty wire the tech had to stretch a test wire from the terminal connection at the dash to the terminal connection at the computer and test for continuity on each wire in the bundle. Then start working from the back to the front on the particular wire to find the break point. Of course it was near the front.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DRIEDL, If you call the 1-800 # for Freightliner and give them your VIN they will Emaill you the schematic for your coach. While I had them on the phone I asked if there were any other files they could send and they sent me 3-4 other ones that I have yet to need but it's better to have it and not need it than .......

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Great advice! I had the same problems after buying my 2000 DSDP. I found that replacing electrical parts and all cable leading to them will save you time and $. You'll also sleep better knowing that area of your rig is as close to new as you can get.
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
They were Intake Air Grid Heater Solenoids

For anyone still mildly curious about my mystery solenoids, they were Intake Air Grid Heater Solenoids. I found identical replacements on Amazon for $10 each and replaced them. The part description was "WHITE RODGERS 120-1005112, 12 VOLT, 4 TERMINALS" They look beautiful but didn't fix my ignition problem. Still looking for that pesky starter solenoid.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedl View Post
For anyone still mildly curious about my mystery solenoids, they were Intake Air Grid Heater Solenoids. I found identical replacements on Amazon for $10 each and replaced them. The part description was "WHITE RODGERS 120-1005112, 12 VOLT, 4 TERMINALS" They look beautiful but didn't fix my ignition problem. Still looking for that pesky starter solenoid.
Are both of them for the Intake grid heater????? Wonder why 2 of them?
Old 03-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Are both of them for the Intake grid heater????? Wonder why 2 of them?
On the Dodge pickups, the Cummins ISB engines used two heat grids and alternated between the two. Perhaps the same here.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
driedl
Do you have a Spartan chassis?
If so, I have the wiring diagrams that were supposed to be for a 98 Newmar with a Spartan chassis., but looking at them I see that the date says they were made in 04.

I could send them if you want, just PM me and I will send them in an email.
Jim
Old 03-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlckmj View Post
driedl
I could send them if you want, just PM me and I will send them in an email.
Jim
PM sent - thanks, Jim
Old 03-12-2017, 07:22 PM   #13

Dear Jim,

We are the proud owners of a 98 Dutch Star on a Spartan chassis. If possible, I would appreciate a copy of these files as well. I have no issues at present, but wiring diagrams may be of great assistance in the future.

Just returned from Florida a week ago. Now facing freezing temps and threat of a major snow/blizzard on Tuesday in Western Mass. March can be a tough month!

Thanks,

David

dnmais@aol.com
dnmais is offline   Reply With Quote