RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 07:05 AM   #1

Can’t start my Canyon Star!

Iím 2 days away from being in Nappanne for service work and I cant start my 2018 3710 CS. Itís been starting fine everyday until now. The monitor panel shows only 8.03 volts for the chassis. Itís been plugged in all night but obviously not charging. Is there an emergency switch to try starting from the house batteries? I cant find any reference in my documentation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I called Newmar but they are closed for the Holiday!

Marc

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have a Dutch Star so this may not apply, there is a switch on the dash that is named Batt Boost. It will need to be held down for a period of time. If you don't have that button you can jump with a car if you have one.

Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgosselin195 View Post
I’m 2 days away from being in Nappanne for service work and I cant start my 2018 3710 CS. It’s been starting fine everyday until now. The monitor panel shows only 8.03 volts for the chassis. It’s been plugged in all night but obviously not charging. Is there an emergency switch to try starting from the house batteries? I cant find any reference in my documentation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I called Newmar but they are closed for the Holiday!

Marc
yikes! In my CS, the battery boost button is on the far left (see photo). Hope it all works out. I have jump started my rig before with my toad (when I even had no house battery storage no pull from). I carry cables now always.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery boost.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	242652  
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #4

once you find the boost switch, you need to keep depressing it while you crank the engine. It is a momentary switch-one that does not stay engaged unless depressed.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #5

OP here. Thanks for the responses. I found the battery boost switch but that didnít seem to help at all. I ended up calling FMCA Roadside Rescue and they sent out a truck. He jumped me and iím Now running. The chassis battery is at 14.55 and the house batteries are at 12.64. Something is certainly wrong with my charging system... looks like Newmar has something else to check out on Monday!

Marc
Old 04-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mgosselin195,
Feel good you have a gas coach and not a diesel. If the battery is the problem or the above posts do not work consider:
1. If you have a toad go the local auto parts store and buy:
1a. Battery charger (10 AMP) including battery boost start (minimum 50 AMPS). This will require 120V power)
1b. Lithium Battery charger pack. For when 120V power is not available.
2. No toad do you have road service?
3. How about a neighbor.

Once the engine is running, determine if the alternator is charging the battery. If not, start the generator and see if that begins to charge the battery. You will need a VOM meter and know how to use it. If the engine is running and the preceding does not provide charging to the battery contact Newmar and get a mobile mechanic to find and fix the problem. When driving the battery does need to be being charging.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Feel good you have a gas coach and not a diesel.
oh... This is my first exposure to Diesel engines. You can't jump start a diesel? So glad you dropped that little nugget out there. I wouldn't have given it a 2nd thought to do it.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #8

Of course you can jump start a diesel, just not with a cheap pair of Wal-Mart jumper cables or the gimmic things sold on TV.

Your issue seems to be that the isolation/ boost solenoid is bad. Happens very often.

It serves 2 purposes, keeping the charge up in the chassis battery while on shore power and jump starting a weak chassis battery. You can't do either.

The shop will fix you up.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #9

Your problem is most likely a bad chassis battery. I had to replace mine in the first year as it did exactly what you are experiencing. Unfortunately they may sit idle for a long time prior to the MH being built, and they may not have kept the battery properly charged, which can affect it's life span. Once I replaced the chassis battery everything worked fine, and I have not had a dead battery since.

The fact that your chassis battery is at 14.55 once your engine is started shows your alternator is working and charging as it should. When running the engine, it will charge your chassis battery first and then when it senses that has a full charge it will the switch over to the house batteries and charge them to the float rate. It is the opposite when plugged into shore power/generator, as it will charge the house batteries first and then switch to top off the chassis battery, or float.

Once you get to Newmar they will check it out and be able to tell you if something is wrong, but most likely it is just the chassis battery. You do not need any additional chargers if you keep it plugged into shore power/or run the generator as the system will charge both house and chassis batteries.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #10

I jump start diesels all the time. Actually I jump start all sorts of RV's when they've been sitting at one of our RV shows. I find ignitions left on, house lights left on, etc.

First thing I do is push the battery button on the dash to get the juice from the house batteries to the chassis batteries. If that doesn't do it I fire up the generator but I gotta make sure the juice is getting to the chassis batteries by checking the electrical panel. Sometimes I have to let the genny run awhile when the chassis batteries are way low. If I can get the genny going, I can eventually get the engine going.

As a last resort I jump the house batteries (to start the genny) on a diesel or go directly to the chassis battery on a gasser. I don't try to jump start the chassis batteries on a diesel pusher because those take a lot of juice that I usually don't have available at a remote show site.

Sometimes the batteries are bad. We've had a few diesels that we've had to hold the aux battery button on to drive the coach back to the yard.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Marc... "Mike and Cha" brought up a good point. If your charging system isn't charging the engine battery while parked, they should be able to easily remedy this. If that is the problem, I would demand a new battery as yours has taken a big hit in terms of longevity. If it's just the battery, obviously, you'll get a new one.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi walkerhound,
As previously posted, one can jump start a diesel engine. It does require more power and a bit more knowledge than starting a gas engine. The 50 AMP boost mentioned in my earlier post. I have started an ISL with the boost option.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgosselin195 View Post
OP here. Thanks for the responses. I found the battery boost switch but that didnít seem to help at all. I ended up calling FMCA Roadside Rescue and they sent out a truck. He jumped me and iím Now running. The chassis battery is at 14.55 and the house batteries are at 12.64. Something is certainly wrong with my charging system... looks like Newmar has something else to check out on Monday!

Marc
I assume your inverter/charger is operating and has no blown fuses or tripped breakers?
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:46 PM   #14

If you don't have a lithium battery booster you should get one. They are about 60-100$, just make sure to charge them up every couple of months.

We have one in each of our vehicles. I use one to jump our lawn tractor most :-)

Tags
canyon star