RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #1

The number of dealers for diesel motorhomes in Canada is limited at best. I presently own a 2005 DSDP purchased in Ontario. To the best of my knowledge, one dealer left Newmar when the 3 year warrantee ended so I would bet there are fewer than 3 Newmar dealers in the province now. Suppose as a Canadian, you were to purchase from a US dealer. Would you save any money based on the fact that competition would be better south of the border? Would the difference in the dollar eat up all these savings? I am talking about the purchase of a brand new motorhome not a used unit. It might be one sitting on the lot or more than likely, something ordered from the factory so you got exactly what you wanted in terms of options. As an example of prices, when I bought mine, a factory pickup cost in the order of $2500 CDN $$. An American friend of mine will pick up his new DSDP at the factory and it will cost him about $1600 US. I don't see any real savings there (using a .75 exchange rate) but hear of other Canadians buying south of the border and bringing the motorhome home for a cheaper price. How complicated is this? I'd love to hear from some who have done this and what is involved. I know I would pay the provincial PST and the GST, I just wonder if the end result would be savings for me or not. Some dealers I have spoken to in the US say they deal with Canadians on a fairly regular basis. I know I would pay no duty on the unit and, to be honest, have to drive nearly 500 miles to my dealer now. As a result, I've used the factory not my dealer to address the majority of my numerous concerns. For this reason, the 'dealer relationship' I presently have is NOT something I value or would really enter into the equation.
Thanks
Ron

RAPPAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #2

The number of dealers for diesel motorhomes in Canada is limited at best. I presently own a 2005 DSDP purchased in Ontario. To the best of my knowledge, one dealer left Newmar when the 3 year warrantee ended so I would bet there are fewer than 3 Newmar dealers in the province now. Suppose as a Canadian, you were to purchase from a US dealer. Would you save any money based on the fact that competition would be better south of the border? Would the difference in the dollar eat up all these savings? I am talking about the purchase of a brand new motorhome not a used unit. It might be one sitting on the lot or more than likely, something ordered from the factory so you got exactly what you wanted in terms of options. As an example of prices, when I bought mine, a factory pickup cost in the order of $2500 CDN $$. An American friend of mine will pick up his new DSDP at the factory and it will cost him about $1600 US. I don't see any real savings there (using a .75 exchange rate) but hear of other Canadians buying south of the border and bringing the motorhome home for a cheaper price. How complicated is this? I'd love to hear from some who have done this and what is involved. I know I would pay the provincial PST and the GST, I just wonder if the end result would be savings for me or not. Some dealers I have spoken to in the US say they deal with Canadians on a fairly regular basis. I know I would pay no duty on the unit and, to be honest, have to drive nearly 500 miles to my dealer now. As a result, I've used the factory not my dealer to address the majority of my numerous concerns. For this reason, the 'dealer relationship' I presently have is NOT something I value or would really enter into the equation.
Thanks
Ron

Old 02-23-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome back after 2 years to irv2 and the Newmar forum.
We have some Canadians on this forum that should help you out.
Good luck in your new hunt for a Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #4

Try this for a generalization. Look up the USA MSRP (get from the manufacturer web sites) subtract say 20% (very typical US dealer "discount") convert to $CAN and compare that to what you'd pay from a dealer in Canada (minus any typical discounts you can expect). If there are no import duty/tax/fees/etc you have some good data. I'm curious, let us know how it shakes out.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Lug_Nut would be the expert on this as he purchased in the U.S. and is of Canadian citizenry....He'll be along shortly I am sure.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #6

Hey Ron, I thought you knew my deal. (Ron and I have exchanged PM's on another forum, but have yet to meet).
I got two top U.S. dealers of Newmar and one Canadian dealer (same as yours) to quote their best price less trade. I sent each a total description and option list of me trade. One U.S. dealer and the Canadian dealer had seen and knew my rig. Each were asked to quote in U.S. dollars with no taxes.
The Canadian dealer, RV Wearhouse in Cookstown, Ontario was by far the best price. Additionally they included all necessary import work and cost. I paid, took delivery and PDI at the Newmar factory.
RV Warehouse allowed me to pick up and import the unit for them so I could pay and get tittle immediately when the deal was done (Same day as I got back).
Now, before you try that, understand that I do have a commercial license therefore the dealer was covered for me to do the pick up and import delivery. This would have to be cleared with the dealer.
The trip through the border was set up great and took less than 30 seconds.

Ron, I would suggest you get your prices and include your Canadian dealer. While service is good at the Canadian dealer, better than most U.S. I assure you, you can always travel to Newmar, as they can fix things for good.
We are very lucky in Canada to have what I say is probably one of the best sales and service dealers in our neck of the North Americian woods.
Bottom line, I would certainly do it again, absolutely no negatives.

Peter
Old 02-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #7

"The Canadian dealer, RV Wearhouse in Cookstown, Ontario was by far the best price. Additionally they included all necessary import work and cost. I paid, took delivery and PDI at the Newmar factory."
Peter,
I knew you had purchased from RV Warehouse but was not aware you had also contacted US dealers. I had figured the chances of beating the Canadian Price in the US was slim but had been told by a few dealers that they had dealt with Canadians on a regular basis so figured it was worth investigating. I have been talking to an individual who claims to be ready to buy a Tiffin from a US dealer. Tiffin has one dealer in Ontario and one in Quebec. He claims to be saving enough to make the process worth his time. Given this, I wondered if it was possible to do better on a Newmar. I gather that is really not possible.
Thanks for this.
Ron
Old 02-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #8

If you can beat 26.9%(off MSRP) plus half the factory PDI cost(equipped as you require)buy it there!
Old 02-23-2007, 03:57 PM   #9

Ron, I think one of the key things here in dealing with a Canadian dealer is to get quoted and pay in U.S. dollars. The Canadian dealer is at the mercy of the exchange rate otherwise and would have to protect themselves by quoting a few points higher otherwise. After all, they have to make a few bucks too if we expect they will be around when you may need some service. RV Warehouse treated me right in every respect with no short givings.

Peter
Old 02-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #10

"Ron, I think one of the key things here in dealing with a Canadian dealer is to get quoted and pay in U.S. dollars. The Canadian dealer is at the mercy of the exchange rate otherwise and would have to protect themselves by quoting a few points higher"
Peter,
I'd be the first to admit this approach never crossed my mind. This is something to consider and I'll certainly take that into consideration when the time comes to get down to the real business of buying the new coach.
Ron
Old 02-24-2007, 01:41 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">RV Warehouse treated me right in every respect with no short givings </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! Nice Jacket Peter! Paul
Old 02-24-2007, 02:18 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hi! Nice Jacket Peter! Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Good memory, Paul, but I can't be bought. Unless of course Miss Packman is involved.

Peter